Why I Switched Back to the iPhone 4 from the SGS2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by El3ctronics, Jun 16, 2011.

1. El3ctronics, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011

El3ctronics macrumors 65816

I understand the urge many of you have to switch from the iPhone 4 to the SGS2 but now that I'm back on the iPhone, let me give you my thoughts so you can make an educated decision. First off, the GS2 is an AWESOME phone but I believe most of you will miss iOS after ~2 weeks. There are still too many little nuances that don't seem like a big deal at first but the more they creep up, the more annoying they get.

That being said, the GS2 FLIES in everyday use and the web browsing experience and speed is truly incredible. You need to really use it to understand what a 1.2ghz dual core device with 1gb of ram can really do. I do wish Samsung left stock Android on the device as I really didn't like TouchWiz. Anyone who does get a SGS2, I recommend using a different launcher (I used GoLauncher EX which I really like). A few things that really annoyed me about the Galaxy S2:

- Battery life was much worse than the iPhone if you're a heavy user. The Super AMOLED Plus display is beautiful (for media) but is not easy on the battery. If your screen is on a lot during the day, you will NOT make it through a full day. If you're a lighter user, it should be fine.
    - Vibrate settings are terrible. The phone vibrated for 3 full seconds on every email that I received and couldn't be changed. This became QUITE annoying on my desk in the office.
    - Even though the Super AMOLED display is gorgeous, you will quickly miss the Retina display of the iPhone. I use my phone more for reading text than looking at images so, to me, the Retina is a MUCH better display. Your usage may differ but if text is your primary use, you'll miss the iPhone's screen.
    - The phone felt kind of cheap in my hand. It's EXTREMELY light which is cool for a few days but it just doesn't have that premium feel of the iPhone.

Now, to be fair, there are a few things I truly miss after switching back to the iPhone.

1. The iPhone's screen is simply too small. Once you use a 4+ inch display you will realize how cramped the iPhone's 3.5" display really is. 4.3" might be too big as the SGS2 didn't feel great in my hand but I think 4" is the sweet spot. Apple, PLEASE give us a bigger screen in the iPhone 5!
    2. True multitasking...and this is a BIG one. Having my apps run in the background is so money. My newspapers, RSS feeds and IM apps (google talk, aim, whatsapp, etc.) all updated in the background without me having to open the apps first. This means when I went into the subway every morning and night, all my articles were ready to be read and I didn't have to remember to download them. Also, when I open an IM app I didn't have to wait for the app to connect before the message (that was already pushed) downloaded. I'm hoping Apple fixes their multitasking in the future.
    3. Cutomizability. Even with iOS5 (which I'm beta testing), the OS just feels a little stale to me and the reason is that I can't customize it the way I could Android. This isn't a huge deal but I think this is one of the reasons many people feel like they want to try something new.
    4. Speed. This is due to the processor and RAM so I expect this to be rectified in the iPhone 5.

Before anybody asks why I didn't just post this in another of the numerous GS2 threads, the reason is b/c I want this post to be seen. There are many users who are considering a switch to Android and I want to give them some honest feedback from an iPhone user who made the move and switched back. If this helps them, it's worth it. If anyone has any other questions they want me to answer, feel free to ask.

EDIT: I also want to add that one of the things that REALLY annoyed me about the SGS2 is that I couldn't control the music player with my headphones. You could play/pause the music but you couldn't control the volume or skip & previous which was a pain.

2. wordoflife, Jun 16, 2011

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

cool :)
    i want to try out android, but not samsung's. Touchwiz gives me a headache lol

3. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

yeah battery life is my gripe with all these phones. I also left sgs2 for an iPhone 4. It is an amazing phone but I do the exact same things on it I did on the iPhone. So I had a choice between bigger better screen and phone battery longevity.

In the end the battery won me back to iPhone. If that great screen cant stay on for more than 3-4 hours its not for me unfortunately.

Now IP5 must have a 4 inch display and I am hoping apple won't disappoint.

4. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Tried out a Samsung Droid Charge because we had 4G in our area. LOVED the 4G speed but the battery life was just horrible. Couldn't make it through a day even on the extended battery. Android is a great OS but still seems to be a bit rough around the edges.

Well back to the iPhone.....did give the white one a try this time.

5. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Remember 4G isn't actually real 4G. It's just something like 3.5G (HSDPA, HSUPA+).

People go with what they are most comfortable with. While SGS2 can outdo the iPhone in the hardware department, for you in this case the overall user experience on the iPhone is superior to the SGS2. And that is Apple's advantage in the smartphone wars.

6. DanteMann macrumors 6502

Wow, don't know what to say. Can't imagine anyone going back to an iPhone4 after reading what you just posted. The very things you say you miss about the SGS2 are very reason to keep the phone and not go back to the inferior iphone 4. Yes it is inferior in every way. Not sure if you really had this phone. It doesn't seem to add up. The only thing that would make anyone pick the iPhone 4 is because you prefer an Apple product. And there's nothing wrong with saying so. Just sayin'.:rolleyes:

7. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

The Droid Charge is a Verizon device that uses LTE. That IS real 4G.

8. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

Well, there's your battery problem. ;)

9. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

And the reasons I didn't like the SGS2 are the reasons to keep it? Your post makes no sense. And yes, I bought the device from Expansys and had it since June 4th. I had until this Sunday to make a decision on whether to keep or return it and I decided to return it for the reasons I stated in my OP.

10. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

I was actually thinking this was the issue as well but when I checked Battery Usage, it always showed that the display was the cause of more than 50% of the battery life. It wasn't due to multitasking.

11. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If the 4 inch screen means less battery life, I don't want it introduced.

12. ctbear macrumors 6502a

Screen will always drain the most, but turning off some not-so-necessary things will help a lot. Just keep the true useful ones and you will get tons of battery life.

13. blesio macrumors regular

I also had my SGS2 but not for long.... I totally agree with the OP.
    Also the battery on the SGS2 is so terrible because of the multitasking. That's why you won't find any Android phone that overtakes the iPhone 4 in this matter.
    And yes I love my iPhone, but there are things that annoy me... Not too much but a lot less than on android phones :D

14. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Samsung Droid Charge runs on Verizon's LTE network. Pretty sure that is 4G but guess I could be wrong.

15. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

But I guess battery was a mess if it was truly using 4G. Perhaps that's why they named it the Droid Charge? :rolleyes:

It is actually one of the reasons for which people seem undecided on the rumor that Apple might not include 4G capabilities on the next iPhone-- battery with 4G seems to go extremely fast.

16. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

Agreed. LTE isn't worth it at this point due to battery life issues and it's the same reason Apple didn't include 3G in the original iPhone when many other devices already included it. Give me AT&T HSPA+ 21Mbps and I'll be more than happy (for now).

17. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Yes, LTE coverage is so freaking awesome that we all can enjoy right now. No wait...

18. tjb1 macrumors 68000

There are other providers other than AT&T...like Verizon which has 3-4 phones now that run on the real 4G-LTE network. Not the bridge gap AT&T is using to keep up with Verizon.

And...Why do you need a 4"+ screen on a phone? Damn...go buy an iPad or something. Its a PHONE, brings back memories of why I didnt even touch the Droid X when deciding on a phone.

19. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

What?

20. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

B/c web browsing and reading on a 4" screen is much better than on a 3.5" screen without making the phone itself much larger. Bigger than 4" I'll agree with you is too big but I truly believe 4" is the sweet spot for smartphones.

21. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

And I think it can easily be done on an iPhone without increasing the size too much. I personally think the bezels are wasted space

22. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Thats what zoom is for. Its a phone, not a computer.

23. MarcBook, Jun 16, 2011

MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I've tried a BlackBerry, a Samsung Galaxy S and a Google Nexus S. Guess what. Every time I ended up going back to my trusty iPhone. There may be some great things about the alternatives out there, but none have the overall polished and premium experience that the iPhone does. And the battery life! Man, that's something the iPhone craps on the competition with. Just like the OP said, you quickly begin to miss iOS and the iPhone within a couple of weeks.

I'm now trying to ignore every impulse I get whenever I see a sweet new phone. :p I'm gonna force myself to stay with the iPhone because I know I'll just come back to it anyway.

My next phone will be the next iPhone. Just like Apple said in their recent ads, if you don't have an iPhone, well, you don't have an iPhone. :)

Edit: And regarding the screen sizes, I think it's very unlikely that Apple will change it. The reasons being:

- Larger displays use more power, whether they're OLED or LCD. To push the same brightness through a bigger space requires more power, no matter the display tech.

- Apple's all about consistency. It's the reason iOS is so good and has so many great apps. Changing display sizes, ratios or resolutions would be a pain for developers and would break the consistency.

- Personally, I think the iPhone's current size is perfect. Remember when it was introduced in '07? "It's just a big display".

- And edge-to-edge display is highly unlikely. What people often fail to consider is that the display itself has a frame around it (for the backlighting and to frame the component), which in the iPhone 4 is already touching the edges of the interior. There's no more room! It's very unlikely that the frame of the panel could be made much smaller for practicality reasons. Oh, and have you noticed where your thumb (or finger) needs to go in order to drag apps across home screens? Onto the black border at the side.

- Larger display with the same resolution means reduced PPI, which I don't think Apple would want to do. Again, for consistency reasons, even if it's still above that magic number of 300.

24. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

You clearly don't use your device the way many others do (which is fine). To me, and many others, the device isn't just my phone, email & messaging device but it's also the device I use to read on the go as well as browse the web. Granted when you have more time, an iPad or computer are better for these tasks but people are starting to use mobile devices for these tasks more than they have in the past. That's why I think 4" is the sweet spot. It's large enough to make reading and browsing convenient while also not making the device too large to not be comfortable to carry with you at all times.

25. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I do plenty of web browsing, checking all my email and reading articles...if I cant read it I zoom in. A 4" screen isnt going to change it that much with the resolution Apple uses.