Why I think the pre will fail Thread (links)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fratboy, Jun 6, 2009.

1. fratboy macrumors regular

mind you this is ALL from pre users who have experianced the phone first hand..

These are just SOME of the problems with the pre.. with all these amazing features everyone has been talking about and palm and sprint have been talking about it seems as it wasnt implemented in a good manor and for that I view this as going down as just another “iphone Killer” that it all looked good on paper but when it came time to preform it just melted down

Email and search problems on the PRE

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/182827-can-you-really-not-search-your-email-box.html

Crappy copy & paste on the PRE

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/182854-copy-paste-you-kidding-me.html

Heat problems with the PRE

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/182671-pre-heat-issue.html

Terrible Battery life on the PRE

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/183039-whats-everyone-think-battery-life.html

Bad Service issues with the PRE

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/182982-anyone-having-service-issues-pre.html

Distortion on the PRE

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/182589-anyone-noticing-little-distortion.html

BUG list for the PRE

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/182595-buglist-pre.html

other problems have been the laggyness of the UI and other problems

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. There are good things about the phone too. :)

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

LOL

every one of those flaws have risen with the iphone as well

seriously people, the iphone is no better in terms of mishaps:rolleyes:

4. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

So the Pre isn't the "iphone killer" the investor from Palm was proclaiming? :eek:

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

It'll compete just fine. Especially with Sprint's lower monthly pricing - an important fact in today's economy.

I highly doubt AT&T will do anything with its monthly iPhone pricing. Maybe a slight break, but nothing to match the pricing from T-Mobile (G1) or Sprint (Pre).

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

So the Pre has some limitations and issues.

Reminds me of just about every new concept phone when it is first released, including the iPhone.

7. iWork macrumors member

I'd expect firmware fixes to solve many of these problems.

Recall issues we faced with iPhone and iPhone 3G. Apple did a fine job at solving most issues with a series of firmware updates. Palm is doing the same.

8. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I have to agree with the OP. Nothing like having a perfect iPhone:rolleyes:

9. peteryan7hao macrumors regular

peteryan7hao

The only company that can KILL the iPhone is

10. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

It's funny that people were attesting to Sprint's service before the device came out. It looked like a good phone, but with all the troubles surrounding it, even at its maiden shipment, I think I'll skip and buy a fourth generation iPhone next year as an upgrade from my 3G. That copy and paste thing seems unusable, almost like not having it in the first place. Not as easy as it sounds, I suppose.

11. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Sprint has been way lower priced than any other major carrier for a while. The only reason they have any customers is because they give away their service. They have all the people whose only criteria is price, and can pass a credit check or pay a deposit. Now they expect those same people to buck up and pay significantly more.

Sure it is less than an iPhone, but it is a lot more than the average sprint, only using the service because I can get SERO for next to nothing people.

12. fratboy thread starter macrumors regular

i agree.. BUT WHEN will palm do it.. users might not be willing to wait for things to run smoothly when they can just return it and get an iphone that already does all the amazing stuff they were promised

13. needthephone macrumors 6502a

Sorry I don't wish the pre well. I loath companies who do not respect IP and the black hat type hacking to make iTunes syncing work says it all about this desperate grubby dying company.
    When apple disable iTunes the protestations will really start but be warned that this feature is temporary so buy a pre at your own risk.

14. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

Exactly, instead of hacking they should have gotten of their lazy behinds and developed a seperate program like RIM developed to sync with Itunes, no one has issues with that. But instead they want to take the easy way out. Apple has every right to protect hacking their software and using that as a selling point for your product. Apple gets sued almost daily for patent infrigment by other companies, Apple has every right to defend their software from hackers like Palm.

15. camarobh macrumors 6502

Pre thoughts

1. I don't want the Pre to fail, competition is good to drive iPhone improvements.

2. I think it is underhanded and simply wrong for Palm to enable the Pre to sync with iTunes.

3. I didn't experience any issues (heat, missing pixels, distortion, email issues) with my iPhone(s). I had the same original iPhone until I upgraded to the 3G (both bought on launch day) and will be upgrading to whatever is announced Monday.

4. I do find it amusing that this self anointed "iPhone killer" isn't the perfect device it was made out to be.

16. pablo7 macrumors 6502

As much as I like the Iphone FRATBOY you need some of this sprayed your way with all the Pre threads already, we get it.... it sucks in your opinion, thanks for saving us from it........ it may be flawed but so is the 3G.

[​IMG]

By the way I can't wait till monday ....Woot debit card in hand.....:apple:

17. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

It would be terrible for the Palm Pre to fail. Competition only stirs innovation and benefits users.

18. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

So Palm hacking itunes instead of developing their own software is exactly innovating and bringing competition in what way?

19. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

How is this guy not banned yet?

I used a Pre today at a Sprint store. Thoroughly unimpressed, aside from the nice screen and web browser. But I don't have a complex that drives me to spam iPhone boards about how bad it is.

20. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

Palm does not "hack" iTunes in any way, the Palm Pre pretends to be an iPod to trick iTunes into thinking it is an iPod.

And what the heck does that have to do with anything? Competition has already stirred innovation! Two years ago, Palm had a dying old OS that sucked, and now, because of the iPhone, they have a great mobile OS to use on future platforms.

I agree it's unfortunate they decided to falsely represent the Pre to iTunes, but give them credit for what they have accomplished.

21. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

X2..

The new iphone will be flawed also.. They have to work the bugs out.. Once they do that it will be more stable but I'm sure it will still have problems...

James

22. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

And yet people make all sorts of excuses for Apple's "Rev A" devices. The Pre is a very capable little device, and I think that's why there is so much hate around these forums. People are feeling threatened for some stupid reason.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. The iPhone had many of these problems when first introduced.

24. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

While people seem to be having issues with the Pre, there has been similar issues with the iPhone. Pre's Biggest down side is actually its biggest upside.. Multi tasking. You can do so much on this device, however the battery life cannot handle it. Keeping 2 or 3 apps open will kill battery life, aswell as phone performance.

(internet radio aside), Apple's push notification idea seems to be the best at this moble computing stage. Just allow streaming pandora music though :) haha.

oh, and i did check out the Pre today. It is REALLY cool. Just not enough to have me switch.

25. w00master macrumors 65816

Sounds like someone has some insecurities. Seriously dude, it's just a phone.