Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tak437

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2009
Similar thing happens in iOS 6. Unlock an multi tasking. The unlock is less noticeable. But when multitasking using the 4 finger swipe gesture, there has always been a good 1+ second lag before you can use he app. New multi task may be using similar process to this. Not a big deal to me.

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
What's wrong with waiting for the animation to finish? Isn't that the point of the animation?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What's wrong with waiting for the animation to finish? Isn't that the point of the animation?
Quite a few people don't really care for animations, or at least longer animations than before since they aren't using the phone to look at animations but to do things on it.

----------

Similar thing happens in iOS 6. Unlock an multi tasking. The unlock is less noticeable. But when multitasking using the 4 finger swipe gesture, there has always been a good 1+ second lag before you can use he app. New multi task may be using similar process to this. Not a big deal to me.
I think that's more in relation to the additional/optional iPad gestures, which were always somewhat slower/longer than other interactions.

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
Quite a few people don't really care for animations, or at least longer animations than before since they aren't using the phone to look at animations but to do things on it.

----------

I think that's more in relation to the additional/optional iPad gestures, which were always somewhat slower/longer than other interactions.

I personally am fine with it. I think it's cool.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I personally am fine with it. I think it's cool.
Right, that's understandable. A lot of people aren't though, and it's a change from what it was like in iOS 6 and before (where things were "snappy").

darkgoob

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008

But they should have a progress bar or grayed-out screen until it's ready. Nothing is more annoying to me than the app appearing ready for use, but then nothing happening when I tap on a control. It should not appear ready until IT IS READY.

----------

They could have a gesture recognizer that cancels the animation, so that for example as apps are in motion, scrolling in the app-switching view, if you swipe up on an app, it would quit it (like it's supposed to) instead of IGNORING THE GESTURE FOR NO REASON!!

----------

I'm on a 4S and it's not terrible.

Spotlight search is laggy and so is the message app. Apps I use a lot like tapatalk and Facebook are pretty smooth. Multi tasking seems ok to me.

The lag I'm noticing is not just animations. It's noticeably jerky/stuttery.

You can make Spotlight much faster by going Settings > General > Spotlight Search and unchecking everything except Apps. When it was searching through my 35,272 notes and 583,262 mail messages it was not a happy camper.

darkgoob

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Is this UI lag stuff due to software or hardware (ie. the 1GB of RAM) or a combination of both?

There's no UI lag. That's not what it is.

It's the delay of apps "waking up" from a sleep state, which used to happen before you saw the app, but now you see the app's last screenshot while it wakes up. That screenshot is not the actual app though, so if you try to push a button, nothing happens, which feels like lag (but is actually just bad design).

Switching between apps doesn't actually take appreciably longer from what I can tell, but seeing the app's preview instead of a progress bar is bad UI design. You should signal the user in some way that the app isn't ready yet.

It's disappointing to me that Apple let iOS 7 out with this bug, which I reported numerous times. I think it was fixable and they should have made the user experience a higher priority over fancy new APIs like multi-peer and beacons, etc.

age234

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2004
They should take a page from Google's book and have the screenshot turn grayscale while the app is waking up.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
There's no UI lag. That's not what it is.

It's the delay of apps "waking up" from a sleep state, which used to happen before you saw the app, but now you see the app's last screenshot while it wakes up. That screenshot is not the actual app though, so if you try to push a button, nothing happens, which feels like lag (but is actually just bad design).

Switching between apps doesn't actually take appreciably longer from what I can tell, but seeing the app's preview instead of a progress bar is bad UI design. You should signal the user in some way that the app isn't ready yet.

It's disappointing to me that Apple let iOS 7 out with this bug, which I reported numerous times. I think it was fixable and they should have made the user experience a higher priority over fancy new APIs like multi-peer and beacons, etc.

I see. Thanks for explaining.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
I don't think there is actually a huge difference in amount of time you wait for apps to open or load, etc. I think that maybe some of the animations are making you think that you are waiting longer, but in reality I bet if you do a side by side comparison you will see very little difference.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Been using iOS7 on my iPhone 2 weeks now.

Tried my friends Nexus 4... and just wow, it just feels so much faster due to the animation speed:confused:

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
OP what gen is your iphone? Ios7 is scaring me away with each thread, yet I'm going to get a new iPad so might as well get used to this junk?

It seems apple really dropped the ball here

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
And it's OUT.

However slow animations is still a huge problem. Don't be too hopeful, iPhone 5s won't be any different. It's a software issue, not hardware.

And Apple did absolutely nothing to fix it.

It's not a problem, it's a design choice. You may not like it but I think its fine.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
But they should have a progress bar or grayed-out screen until it's ready. Nothing is more annoying to me than the app appearing ready for use, but then nothing happening when I tap on a control. It should not appear ready until IT IS READY.

----------

They could have a gesture recognizer that cancels the animation, so that for example as apps are in motion, scrolling in the app-switching view, if you swipe up on an app, it would quit it (like it's supposed to) instead of IGNORING THE GESTURE FOR NO REASON!!

----------

You can make Spotlight much faster by going Settings > General > Spotlight Search and unchecking everything except Apps. When it was searching through my 35,272 notes and 583,262 mail messages it was not a happy camper.

You should not HAVE to do that to make spotlight faster, what's the point then might as well manually look for something hell it's probably faster.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
OP what gen is your iphone? Ios7 is scaring me away with each thread, yet I'm going to get a new iPad so might as well get used to this junk?

or people are overly sensitive and like to complain about anything. Do a side by side comparison and you will see that the difference in app "load times" is pretty negligible... Just because you perceive that the animations are taking longer because they are new, does not actually mean they are taking a lot longer than the old ones.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy

Newly purchased iPhone 5s, and an extra second required to complete the animations is driving me ********* bonkers. It's pretty much everywhere: unlocking the phone, switching apps, launching apps, control center, notification center.

That's the ONLY reason why I hate iOS 7.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
Newly purchased iPhone 5s, and an extra second required to complete the animations is driving me ********* bonkers. It's pretty much everywhere: unlocking the phone, switching apps, launching apps, control center, notification center.

That's the ONLY reason why I hate iOS 7.

I agree, I have been using my iPad's with both iOS6 and iOS7 and have been since the first Beta and never got use to the new zooming. Sure the animations are fine for some, so it's a personal choice, so why have this all or nothing approach.

The best way to solve this is somewhat how they solved the new sounds, have a switch called legacy animations in accessibility, what is so wrong with preferring iOS6 animations? I don't recall hearing anyone have issues with those, they were fast and opened or closed from the center, the folders just pulled down.

I don't want to turn off animations completely, I would rather have a Legacy switch to use iOS6 animations, or how about let us choose speed and location of the animations, you could choose the animation to open and close from center, and not flying in from the outside which I can't stand anymore.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
I remember the old days when software actually required loading and we considered it to be fast. Nowadays people apparently don't even have second to spare. Life is short I guess, better get apple to save time trying to unlock iOS 7 in 0.5 seconds instead of an entire SECOND. This has got to be a joke...

This is what we complain about now? Have we run out of things to complain about? I don't wanna live on this planet anymore.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
or people are overly sensitive and like to complain about anything. Do a side by side comparison and you will see that the difference in app "load times" is pretty negligible... Just because you perceive that the animations are taking longer because they are new, does not actually mean they are taking a lot longer than the old ones.
You probably meant to say that just because you don't care that animations might last longer it doesn't mean that they don't in fact last longer.

----------

I remember the old days when software actually required loading and we considered it to be fast. Nowadays people apparently don't even have second to spare. Life is short I guess, better get apple to save time trying to unlock iOS 7 in 0.5 seconds instead of an entire SECOND. This has got to be a joke...

This is what we complain about now? Have we run out of things to complain about? I don't wanna live on this planet anymore.
As opposed to complaining about someone's complaints? How many levels lower is that? :rolleyes:

BruiserBear

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Add me to the complaints list. I've got an iPhone 5 and I find the animations quite irritating. They chose beauty over function, and that's never a good thing.

Just speed up the animation to twice the speed it is now and it will be OK.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
You probably meant to say that just because you don't care that animations might last longer it doesn't mean that they don't in fact last longer.

----------

As opposed to complaining about someone's complaints? How many levels lower is that? :rolleyes:

You seem to misunderstand, I am not complaining. I am merely remarking upon the absurdity of the "issue" in question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.