Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leeuk321

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2018
Unless I'm being stupid...why is it so painful to add a bookmark in Safari?

What I mean is, when you go to add a bookmark and then click on the "Add this page to:" drop-down menu, Safari shows you your entire expanded bookmarks directory. Everything. Everywhere. All at once.

Not only is this the default, but unless I've missed something there's seemingly no way to alter this. I do a lot of stuff online, including running my business, and have an organized, multi-level directory of bookmarks which tidily organizes hundreds of pages. No problem with the UI for accessing and editing bookmarks and folders, but for adding a bookmark it's a royal pain.

Is there any way around this, or any better method for adding a bookmark other than the way I'm doing?

(p.s. for those who only have a handful of bookmarks, and see no issue with this, imagine if "Save as" worked in the same way for you...all folders exploded with a huge laundry-list of every single folder on your computer. Yikes)

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
Organize your bookmarks using folders. Open a new webpage, go to Bookmarks menu/edit bookmarks and add new folders for all of your categories. Then organize them. Also instead of using the menu command, click on the address bar and drag the page to the favorite bookmark bar or folder on the bar that you want to store it.

leeuk321

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2018
Organize your bookmarks using folders. Open a new webpage, go to Bookmarks menu/edit bookmarks and add new folders for all of your categories. Then organize them. Also instead of using the menu command, click on the address bar and drag the page to the favorite bookmark bar or folder on the bar that you want to store it.
Thanks for your reply. I do actually have all of my bookmarks organized in a multi-level directory of folders. Thanks for the tip on dragging the address the page via the address bar, I wasn't aware of that. I can't actually use that method in the exact way you're describing, unless I'm wanting to add a bookmark to the first folder level, because it's only the first-level folders which appear in the Favorites Bar and hence the only folders which let you drag something there.

However, I've figured a workaround. If I select View -> Show Bookmarks Sidebar (⌃⌘1), and then use your suggesting of dragging the address, I can navigate to the destination folder in the sidebar and then drag the address straight there. Then hide the sidebar afterwards. It's a bit of a faff, and I prefer the way that you can add bookmarks in Google Chrome, but at least it gives me the option of not having to use the all-folders-exploded view.

Cheers!

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
I prefer the way that you can add bookmarks in Google Chrome, but at least it gives me the option of not having to use the all-folders-exploded view.
I am not 100% sure I understand the problem you are having, but do you mean you prefer to have Chrome "star" in the url bar, so that when you click it you only get a small dialog with a selection of where you want to place it?

If so, then try cmd+D or ctrl+D (I don't have default shortcuts so I don't know what's on yours).

Last edited:
Reactions: mmkerc

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Like above...
"Command-D" creates a new bookmark, "at the bottom of the list".

You then have to go to "edit bookmarks", go to the bottom of the list and find the new one, and then move it to where you want it to be.

Reactions: halledise

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Unless I'm being stupid...why is it so painful to add a bookmark in Safari?

What I mean is, when you go to add a bookmark and then click on the "Add this page to:" drop-down menu, Safari shows you your entire expanded bookmarks directory. Everything. Everywhere. All at once.

Not only is this the default, but unless I've missed something there's seemingly no way to alter this. I do a lot of stuff online, including running my business, and have an organized, multi-level directory of bookmarks which tidily organizes hundreds of pages. No problem with the UI for accessing and editing bookmarks and folders, but for adding a bookmark it's a royal pain.

Is there any way around this, or any better method for adding a bookmark other than the way I'm doing?

(p.s. for those who only have a handful of bookmarks, and see no issue with this, imagine if "Save as" worked in the same way for you...all folders exploded with a huge laundry-list of every single folder on your computer. Yikes)
If you show the sidebar and your bookmarks you can drag from the url to your bookmarks. If you have a folder open in bookmarks and want to put a series of urls in there dragging them makes it easy.

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
Is there anyway to add a bookmark folder while adding anew bookmark? Chrome does this and it's way more intuitive

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Is there anyway to add a bookmark folder while adding anew bookmark? Chrome does this and it's way more intuitive
It depends.

On iOS safari when using the share sheet, there is a “New Folder” action at the bottom of the list of folders.

On the Mac OS, the share sheet version does not have a “New Folder” action. However if you use the sidebar, it is trivially easy to add a new folder with a right-click. Then drag the address into that folder.

Reactions: ekwipt
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.