Why is Apple not inlcuding the equipment for fast charging?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Duncanator, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Duncanator macrumors 6502

Duncanator

So I am curious....why is Apple charging extra for the equipment to be able to utilize fast charging? You'd think for the price, they would include it. I just cannot wrap my hand around this move?!

2. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

So they can make more money of course. That’s like asking why aren’t they throwing in Airpods even though the phones have no headphone jack.

3. Ladybug macrumors 68000

Ladybug

Apple is all about money now so I assume thats a factor. The fact that they only include a 5w charger is shameful because fast charging and wireless charging are features and in part play a role in the premium price they are asking for the X. One would assume they would come with fast charging at least.

4. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Apple is all about the money obviously.

Many of the customers eat up every dumb decision they make and support their moves so why not.

5. AdonisSMU macrumors 604

Tbqh, I’d actually like it if they just priced it so everything could be included in the box but my guess is there are production issues around these items.

6. eyedoc2020 macrumors regular

Money. Looks like Samsung and LG value their customers more...

7. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Wouldn’t it be nice if they had an Apple Starter Kit that was priced so everything could be included in a big box with the iPhone, iWatch, iPad, MacBook Pro, Airpods, HomePod, and Mac Pro?

8. santela macrumors regular

Someone on here told me it's better that they don't include it, since not everyone needs to use that feature.

It's pathetic how some people go out of their way to defend Apple.

9. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

For what it's worth I don't think that the other phones (that utilize fast charging) include the equipment for it either.

10. AdonisSMU macrumors 604

Do they include these items with their phones?

11. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

Good point
    --- Post Merged, Sep 20, 2017 ---
    Good question, I was wondering the same. I know someone who has one of the "other phones" and I don't think they got a wireless charger with it.

12. Duncanator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duncanator

That's stupid because every other phone comes with the equipment for fast charging.

13. Duncanator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duncanator

My Note 8 utilizes fast charging from the brick and cable that came in the box. I wish Apple would do the same.

14. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

When you have the most popular smartphone in the industry, you can keep continuing to keep profit margins high per sale.

15. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The answer is that fast charging is only really being asked for by a vocal minority so there is little market pressure for Apple to do anything other than make the phone compatible with it. The people who are interested have already been fast charging for years with iPad chargers (and early reports are that the new fast charging is only modestly faster than this method). Outside of Macrumors I can't think of a single person in my life who has ever worried about the charging speed of their phone. Apple would be doing a disservice to their shareholders to spend money they don't need to spend in order to remain competitive.

16. mwhals macrumors 6502

mwhals

My S7 Edge fast charges with what came in the box. No one includes a wireless charge pad.

17. Duncanator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duncanator

Yeah I'd never expect a wireless charging pad lol

18. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

My Apple Watch S1 didn't even come with that. Just the cable and the watch. I can't blame them for making a buck but the greed is just going off the charts.

19. eric3312 macrumors 6502

Because they know people are stupid enough to go out and buy a special adapter that they will probably sell for $79.99, exclusively at the Apple Store.

And Tim Crook will tell you what a great value it is too so that you feel better for spending more money on something he should have included with his devices in the first place.

20. palmerc2 macrumors 68000

palmerc2

21. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

You could just get this from Amazon and have fast charging for cheaper:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y427WT7/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A294P4X9EWVXLJ

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XCGXTQ4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2H4CWKU4QJWXQ

But it seems the equipment Apple is using for Quick Charge isn't cheap even from Amazon.

22. AppleZombie macrumors 6502a

Because like the iphone X they havent even started production on those.

23. mackinmike macrumors 6502a

They say Apple users are more rich... so Apple thought... what the heck, make them buy it.

24. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

They threw in a 3.5mm to lightning dongle.

Reading a bunch of these replies makes me realize how many people think Apple owes them this stuff.

25. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

I don't think it's about owing, its about how we the consumer should be able to get more value out of what were paying for. You've seen Apple's profit margins on these iPhones right? Even if they threw in Airpods instead of a lightning connector, they would still be making a significant profit. As a consumer, I don't think I am entitled to anything, but it would be nice if they could add more value to what were paying for.