Why is Apple over hyping this watch more than the iPhone?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by DBZmusicboy01, Mar 29, 2015.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

Besides it being a new device...
    It's cool in a way but not amazing for something that cost $350
    And so restricted too.. All these rules at the Apple Store just to get this watch. Too much drama for a watch. Apple should focus more on the Macbooks and iPhone and surely the software.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

3. Jd3774life macrumors regular

Jd3774life

Not going to lie, this comment made my night. Thank you

4. DBZmusicboy01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Afford ? I am just saying how it's stupid that a watch costs that much. The iPhone costs more and it's a much better value. If I can afford an iPhone.. I can afford an apple watch.
    But Apple is overhyping such a new device with many flaws.

----------

No way on earth I am going to pay $10,000 for a gold Apple watch. That's almost a new car right there. Laugh at 99 percent of the population then. They will agree with me. $10,000 for something that will be outdated next year...

5. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

why does it bother you so much? i love the hype, i can't wait for it to get released, it's painfully annoying to wait.

6. Blakjack, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015

Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I'll bite

They just updated the Macbook line and the new iPhone doesnt come out till the fall. I'm sure they have people working hard on the new iPhone anyway.

The Apple Watch is the newest device in their product Line. It has to be hyped. If they don't do it, who will?

7. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

I wouldn't call $350 bank breaking lol.

Anyway, I hope this "smart watch" fad passes, right now they all seem like gimmicky devices that have no real use outside of just being hipster tech fashion. Maybe Apple will change that, but so far it doesn't look like it

8. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Ummm. Because it's what they're releasing now and they want it to be successful. It's a new product line. What else would they do BUT hype it?

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Then you clearly are not paying attention. The Watch is part of Apple's plan to eliminate the need for pockets in your clothes. Cash money, credit cards, car keys, and hotel room keys are among the things that the Watch will replace beginning on April 24. We can expect other passes that presently reside on our iPhones like airline boarding passes and insurance cards to migrate to the Watch.

And to think, you believe that the Watch is just overpriced jewelry:rolleyes:

10. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

That's right, because you know.... you are Apple's primary target with the Apple Watch Edition :D

It most go very well with your 18 karat gold iPhone 6

Attached Files:

11. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

So would you rather spend $10,000 on a car that will be outdated in a year. People spend tens of thousands on cars that technologically are out of date after a year or two but it doesn't stop then buying a new car

12. FlatCable macrumors member

Or you spend all your money on the iPhone, and now you can't even afford a $350 watch!

Seriously, if you can't afford an Apple Watch, you should have other priorities in life.

Unless you live in a jail, where are no Apple Stores too, have you considered finding a decent source of income?

Because Apple won't make the Apple Watch free, or cheaper than a low-end watch (because it is not low-end, and because it's not just a watch).

Yes... tell me about how you are buying a 18K solid gold watch. Any solid gold 18K case watch...

13. AFDoc macrumors 68030

So how do new rules for one product equate to it being over hyped?

14. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I don't know if this is a first here for the forum but its something that has been popping up lately because of the Apple Watch. I don't understand why so many people are concerned about how others decide to spend their money. All these accountants and fashion gurus are are popping up everywhere to protect my bank account and fashion sense. Thank you all you unsung heroes.

The market will decide if the Apple Watch is amazing for $350 or not, and you want to talk about restrictions were you around for the first 3-4 yrs of the iPhone? inability to cut/copy/paste, couldn't send MMS, couldn't record video, no multitasking or background apps. Those were the dark ages but we made it through and maybe the Apple Watch doesn't a clear usage right now but once again the market will decide in what direction the watch should go in.

I'm not saying I think this is the case with the OP but I do believe that this holds true for many. If you can't afford it convince yourself you don't need it, just ask any college student how they feel about top ramen.

15. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

Honestly, if I were Apple, I'd be doing the same thing. I would, however, market it more towards the tech crowd instead of 100% to the fashion/fitness crowds. I am more excited for the tech features rather than the looks of fitness capabilities.

16. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I would be very curious to know how old the OP is. Anyone over 40 knows that $350 for a device that does what this smart watch does is amazing. It is more powerful that the computer that ran my full university was. With 8GB of ram it has 10 TIMES the memory of that computer.

25 years ago the first Hard Drive available for the Macintosh was 10 Megabytes and cost me over $2000. NOW I have single jpegs bigger than that! In those days we all could not imagine how we could possibly even USE 10 Megabytes.

Restricted??? OMFG If I had not had connections inside the headquarters of Computerland it would have taken me a year to get that drive.

17. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

This isn't a tech product, it's a fashionable lifestyle accessory with some cool tech inside. The #1 most important thing about it is how it looks, and what people think looks good is 100% based on social acceptance, aka hype when it comes to new products.

Just another post by someone who is sad they aren't part of the target market for this product. You'll get one anyway, eventually.

18. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

ONE MORE THING. (couldn't resist that)

I think the iPhone 6+ had a ton of hype before it came out. Of course the commercials will probably get thicker closer to the preorder and release dates.

19. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

I see it as extremely amazing for the low starting price of $350.
    Too much drama ? Ignore it = no issue.
    You say they should focus more on the iPhone ? Where have you been in the last 6 months, if they focus any more you will say (too much drama for the iPhone)

No need to get involved with the Apple Watch (drama) if it's not your thing.

20. Ries macrumors 68000

I would be very curious to know how old the OP is. Anyone over 60 knows how amazing that university computer was...

21. Esoom macrumors 6502

Esoom

I got in trouble using the university computer for too many simulations, LOL.

22. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I stopped reading and respecting your opinion at those bolded texts.

23. Ries macrumors 68000

I stopped reading and respecting your opinion at those bolded texts.

24. KPOM macrumors G5

The tech crowd isn't big enough to sustain the watch market. Samsung has been trying for nearly 3 years now, and the other manufacturers haven't had much success either. The fact is that none of these devices do anything that a phone can't, except for fitness tracking, which a cheap band can do. Therefore the main selling angle is fashion.

25. bige12 macrumors 6502

bige12

I would say paying $10,000 breaking the bank