Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
Fair enough. Let's just say that there are people in the US that buy systems with monitors as well as people that buy them without.

The only thing that is certain is that Apple doesn't have a "mid-range" system without a built in monitor. And by "mid-range", I mean a mini tower with desktop components for about $1000.

I just picked up a used mini for my multimedia machine and it's awesome for that use. Tidy package, more than enough horsepower. But it's just not enough for me to use as my "real" computer. :(

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
on people buying sets with screens:

those really were popular 10 years ago here too when few people had computers but now it's nearly completely separate towers if i look at ads (with including mouse and keyboard) for desktop computers .. only sometimes you can get an ad for a set here and there

that said:
didn't somebody in a news discussion post the apple _desktop_ sales spanning over the last 3 years where the high point was actually in 2005 when both the mini was released the emac was still available and there was a single processor power mac ? i can't seem to find it

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Yes, but my parents and my friends parents are certainly not techies. My dad hasn't bought a new monitor in 10 years. Though he's upgraded computers a dozen times. The thing is very annoying, but it works for him. Again, an anecdote, but a true story.

Best Buy, Dell and HP all sell their systems by default with no monitor. Though they offer a package deal as well. Personally, I see as many or more systems with no monitors being purchased, but again, this is purely anecdote.

Once again, they give cosumers an option. If you think computer as furnishings, you can buy whole set. If you think it as a tool, you can replace the needed part.

Quite strange that Apple, which has propably the smallest range of products in the industry, sells monitors, but doesn't offer options where to attach them...

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
If the mini had a slightly beefier gpu and HDCP (even if it were over DVI) it would be a fantastic media center - indeed, a lot of people already use it as such.
And would even more if you could playback/record media that needs HDCP (brd/hd-dvd).
If Apple would upgrade mini with X3100 + hdcp + dual head gpu. I would buy those to myself and to my father. Even better if they would introduce miniFatty with eSata and brd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.