Why no back case for new 10.5 iPad Pro?

marlman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
i have just ordered my new 10.5 iPad Pro with a Smart Cover. Was surprised to find there is no back protector available.

Is there any other alternatives out there to use with Smart Cover or keyboard?

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
I read in another thread which suggested apple may introduce them a little later. Seems weird though. I hope apple brings them back.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
At $69 for a piece of silicon then you'd think they'd keep these on the market.

I wonder if the lack of back cover is due to a durability issue. Ive had two iPad Pro 9.7 back covers crack on me (never dropped, never removed from case). I checked reviews on Apple Store and it seems to be a common problem. And unfortunately, Apple changed accessory coverage so even if you have AppleCare+ then the smart case isn't covered.

S1njin

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
NJ
I didn't know about the accessory coverage. Now I'm okay w/ not ordering the Smart Keyboard right away. I'll use some Best Buy points towards it now.

spiderman0616

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2010
I got a Moko back cover for mine on Amazon to use until the real ones come out. I think it's silly that they didn't release these right away. The guy I talked to at the Apple Store yesterday said it took awhile to get them for the new "standard" iPad too, which is even weirder since that form factor is well established.

I'm a big fan of the silicon backs, and it's a bummer that they're not available yet for sure.

Reactions: Rivarola

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

I wonder if the lack of back cover is due to a durability issue. Ive had two iPad Pro 9.7 back covers crack on me (never dropped, never removed from case). I checked reviews on Apple Store and it seems to be a common problem. And unfortunately, Apple changed accessory coverage so even if you have AppleCare+ then the smart case isn't covered.
Interesting. I have the 12.9 Pro 1st gen and my back case split some months back in one of the corners. It rarely left my desk so I was surprised. Had to get it replaced. Is this the crack you're referring to?

Reactions: Arran

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

I saw these at BB on the shelf today.

GeeMillz22

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
New York
I’m beyond confused/frustrated as to why Apple didn’t come out with a back case or hand the specifications over to some accessory makers ahead of time to make a few. I don’t like anything I’ve seen online minus the Moko translucent cover and that isn’t even eligible for Prime.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I got a Moko back cover for mine on Amazon to use until the real ones come out. I think it's silly that they didn't release these right away. The guy I talked to at the Apple Store yesterday said it took awhile to get them for the new "standard" iPad too, which is even weirder since that form factor is well established.

I'm a big fan of the silicon backs, and it's a bummer that they're not available yet for sure.
They don't make Apple silicone back cases for the new standard iPad, only covers (according to Apple's website).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.