Why no FaceTime HD and Siri?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget123, Mar 7, 2012.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

If I may be cynical: incremental upgrades will drive nearly as many sales as large upgrades.

3. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

We don't know.
    Really did you expect anyone on this forum to know that answer? Go ask Tim and some Apple executives, not Apple consumers.

4. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Maybe they can save Siri for IOS6 then?

No chance of HD cameras now for FaceTime until IPad 4. :)

5. Techwriter macrumors regular

I believe it was Intel who admitted they were on a Tick Tock schedule. Last year's Sandy Bridge chip was the Tick. The Haswell chip coming this Spring or Summer is the Tock. I tend to think Apple is doing this as well. The original iPad was the Tick. The iPad2 was the Tock.The New iPad which arrived today is the Tick. Siri, A6, and a few other goodies might come next year as the Tock.

6. Signor S. macrumors member

Apple did release a dumbed down version of Siri for the new iPad (Dictation) and as for FaceTime HD, that's probably iPad fourth generation. Personally, I am buying the third generation because I love what I saw today.

7. Starhawk macrumors regular

Starhawk

8. Ballis macrumors 6502a

Love the new iPad, but im sure dissapointed There is no Siri on board.

9. aoaaron macrumors 6502

siri im not too bothered about but no facetime HD is a massive bummer.

10. WalledMacGarden macrumors regular

Yeah, at least we have dictation, Siri would have been nice, but my iPhone is right next to me so no problems.

I figure it's server load issues right now, at some point it will be available, probably with the the launch of the Apple TV (the TV, not set top box)

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

My best educated guess. New, more expensive screen, new more expensive chip, new more expensive camera and still maintains price point of iPad 2. There's only so much you can add before you need to raise the price.

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

FaceTime HD is the only thing I don't understand them not adding. On that gorgeous screen FaceTime is going to look horrible!

13. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Or maybe becasue Siri is still beta so it might not work right with Ipad?

14. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

siri

They'll use it as a selling point for the next iPad. These upgrades are going to become harder and harder, I hate how companies do this but its the way of doing business. Id rather them release all good features then release updated colors and size variations.

15. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

At the moment Skype offers a better quality. Facetime HD would have been better.

Maybe they never added it due to all other IOS devices not supporting it?

16. phillyred79 macrumors regular

I imagine siri will be released at some point in a future iOS update.. The simple VGA FF camera is a bummer- I'm sure it will be there next time around.. The screen is going to be amazing though!

17. justinxtreme macrumors newbie

justinxtreme

I'm sure as hell not lol, I don't use Siri whatsoever on my iPhone 4S and will be happy with the Retina Display alone. Of course, other people maybe actually using Siri but I mean I honestly don't think a virtual assistant would fit the bill on an iPad, that'd kinda be awkward in a way when you think about it

Another thing is, I'm actually surprised they got LTE on board, at the cost of having two seperate iPads on sale, not bad Apple, not bad.

18. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

only if the person on the other end has an ipad.

19. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Maybe they are waiting for Siri to be out of beta and get the problems worked out. Even on my 4S Siri has a lot of problems, so if they added another 15-20 million users en masse it would again crash their servers.

I bet Siri gets introduced to the iPad at WWDC or later when iOS 6 is announced. The beta label will be dropped, a few new features will be added, and device support expanded.

As far as FaceTime HD that is quite interesting. They should have at least given it a 1.3mp camera in the front. AT LEAST.

20. justinxtreme macrumors newbie

justinxtreme

They did mention in the keynote about something with the iSigth camera showcasing beautiful video on FaceTime, I'm not sure about it, but if true, at least we'll be able to use the back camera for FaceTime HD (with Macs? and other new iPads?)

21. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

So are we elliminating the chance that Siri could come in a future software update. Is it possible that the new iPad might have all the necessities but for whatever reason, Siri just isn't ready for it yet?

Just asking

22. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

That's what I was thinking. Sounds reasonable to me.

23. mortfe macrumors regular

Screwed again with Apple BS. Yea for the Retna Display. They started out praising Siri, so where the hell is it? I wouldn't buy an iPad with your money.

24. RenoG macrumors 65816

Whats with all this siri talk..I mean its not like everyone is actually using it on their iphones as it is. besides you need a data plan or a wifi connection to use it right, so if you have a wifi ipad and you're no where near a wifi connection its a dead feature. Siri on an ipad is simply dumb. I mean what would you use it for if you already have it on your phone? Siri is better suited for iphones you know with address books and such..

Siri please text Bob...oh wait...

25. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

I am surprised it doesn't have Siri, but it is probably a server capacity issue.