Why no official cases for the XR? [MERGED]

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
The official Apple iPhone Xr Transparent case which leaked is still not for sale on apples website, is this case even a thing or was it fake news, did Apple confirm they will be selling this case?

niji

Contributor
Feb 9, 2003
tokyo
The official Apple iPhone Xr Transparent case which leaked is still not for sale on apples website, is this case even a thing or was it fake news, did Apple confirm they will be selling this case?
hi

yes. its strange isn't it? apple not having it ready for orders directly with the Xr?

but it is a real thing to be sure.
9to5mac (sorry macrumors) reported in its podcast last friday that apple did have actual written info the on its web site in some countries (but not all countries) that a clear case from apple would be available. 9to5mac also thought that the lack of mention of if on all of apple's individual countries websites are unusual.

so, it must be delayed?
if so, the reason for it being delayed might be some kind of material shortage? i would hope that a clear case from apple would not be subject to a "clear case yellowing problem" found on almost all clear cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThatiPhoneKid

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
hi

yes. its strange isn't it? apple not having it ready for orders directly with the Xr?

but it is a real thing to be sure.
9to5mac (sorry macrumors) reported in its podcast last friday that apple did have the on its web site in some countries (but not all countries) that a clear case from apple would be available. 9to5mac also thought that the lack of mention of if on all of apple's individual countries websites are unusual.

so, it must be delayed?
if so, the reason for it being delayed might be some kind of material shortage? i would hope that a clear case from apple would not be subject to a "clear case yellowing problem" found on almost all clear cases.
Do you think it could be released Friday on iPhone Xr launch day?

Reactions: niji

niji

Contributor
Feb 9, 2003
tokyo
if it were going to be available launch day i would think that there would be info about it in the webstores already
so i think its likely to miss the launch day.
thats just my speculation.
this is a bummer.
but i would wait until it does become available as apple's fit and quality is usually the best.

Reactions: ThatiPhoneKid

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
Scroll to Pricing and Availability on Apple Canada official XR press release page:
  • Apple-designed accessories for iPhone XR including a clear case will be available starting at $55 (CAD).
It's entirely possible that OtterBox clear case is designed by Apple, but OtterBox cases retail at $50 CAD. It's also possible that Apple has since cancelled the case but forgot to update the Canadian press release.

Last edited:

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
iPhone XR launch day and still no case, I feel like Apple like announcing new items and never release them *cough* AirPower *cough*

Reactions: SnacksGU

SnacksGU

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
USA
iPhone XR launch day and still no case, I feel like Apple like announcing new items and never release them *cough* AirPower *cough*
As long as they announce new Macs and iPads on Oct 30 I will be fine. They never announced the case, just found within a website. But, yes, AirPower is kind of a joke.

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
Did you get your phone yet? Mine just arrived so I’ll be off to check it out soon.

I think it’s utterly bizarre there are no silicone cases for the Xr, either. I’m not as surprised about the lack of leather ones as that’s a more elegant material and the image of these phones is more “fun” and casual. And matching Silicone would be totally in line with that image.

I have more third party cases now than is decent, thanks to Slickdeals. So I’m all set. Most of them are very nice. The worst among them is still respectable. A 3 out of 5. It’s an off brand I never heard of.

bodonnell202

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I was in the Apple Store today (not that busy to be honest) and the only cases they have for the XR are some really hideous Otterboxes. I was thinking of picking up the XR but that gave me pause... if I can’t get a good quality and good looking case to add a little protection to an $1100 (Canadian) phone made mostly of glass maybe I won’t be picking one up after all.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
I was in the Apple Store today (not that busy to be honest) and the only cases they have for the XR are some really hideous Otterboxes. I was thinking of picking up the XR but that gave me pause... if I can’t get a good quality and good looking case to add a little protection to an $1100 (Canadian) phone made mostly of glass maybe I won’t be picking one up after all.
There are plenty of options on amazon, which look nice and are of good quality.
To skip a phone, because apple has not released a case yet, seems, at least to me, a bit dramatic.

bodonnell202

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
There are plenty of options on amazon, which look nice and are of good quality.
To skip a phone, because apple has not released a case yet, seems, at least to me, a bit dramatic.
I have as yet to find a 3rd party case that comes even close to the quality of the Apple ones. Most of them look cheap, they often scratch the phone and are usually falling apart after a month of use. I guess I'm just really attached to Apple's leather cases and the fact that my 3 year old Apple leather case that has been on my 6s since the day I bought the phone and it still looks great tells me that Apple's cases are worth the cost.

iObama

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008
Just curious as to why Apple didn’t introduce any first party cases for the XR.

I can’t remember the last time they introduced an iPhone without one?

PeteS1963

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
I have as yet to find a 3rd party case that comes even close to the quality of the Apple ones. Most of them look cheap, they often scratch the phone and are usually falling apart after a month of use. I guess I'm just really attached to Apple's leather cases and the fact that my 3 year old Apple leather case that has been on my 6s since the day I bought the phone and it still looks great tells me that Apple's cases are worth the cost.
Totally agree. And the amount of time I’ve wasted trying to find decent third party cases (returns are also a pain in the butt). It’s just not worth the hastle when I’ve been happy with every Apple case I’ve bought.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
I feel like Apple like announcing new items and never release them *cough* AirPower *cough*
The Apple Watch charging dock from Apple is currently $79.

I feel like the same people who are complaining about AirPower not being released yet are the same ones who are going to complain that it costs $149 or more.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
It is not about the fact that apple makes good quality cases. I agree.
I only think it is very exaggerated to skip a phone that you actually want, but don’ t get, because apple didn’ t release a case yet.
There are plenty of good , protective and cheap cases for the xr to get until apple releases one.
There are also some very nice higher end leather cases like Vaja or for example mujjo to get right now.

It just seems to me that you don’ t really want an xr.

PeteS1963

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
It is not about the fact that apple makes good quality cases. I agree.
I only think it is very exaggerated to skip a phone that you actually want, but don’ t get, because apple didn’ t release a case yet.
There are plenty of good , protective and cheap cases for the xr to get until apple releases one.
There are also some very nice higher end leather cases like Vaja or for example mujjo to get right now.

It just seems to me that you don’ t really want an xr.
Errr... I’ve got an XR and love it. Got a good leather case but not really the colour I want. I’m also after a white silicone case for sale in the UK. I haven’t yet found a single one. If you can find one I’d be interested
[doublepost=1540643977][/doublepost]PS - I have the Mujjo leather case. I had to send the first one back as it had a big dent and mark on it. It’s nice enough but their range of colours is limited. I use to be a fan of Vaja but IMHO their cases are now not my cup of tea.