Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fanta88

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
Yet another member with a jet black 7. I downsized from the 6S+.

For me it's far more pleasant to use the 7+. Can use it one handed if needed, freeing up the other hand to carry briefcase/hold onto rail in train/drink coffee; doesn't jut out of pockets; don't need to take it out of my pocket when sitting down.

xlovepink88x

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2016
I originally opted for the iPhone 7 plus. I cancelled and went for the 7 because the size is just to big. The phone itself is huge. If they would make the body smaller then maybe. Since you see all these other phones with big screens but they aren't huge.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
seems like I'm the only one on the forum that orderd the 7. Idk how he plus got so popular this year.

Isn't it a hassle to use with one hand? I mean it's bigger the note...

Lots of people have ordered an ip7...so your premise of no one buying a 7 is untrue.

The 7+ has several attractions. I would never buy one (too big), but plenty are.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I bought the regular 7. Really like the dual camera system of the 7 Plus, but the size of the phone itself is simply not practical for me. Got pretty small hands, haha. So other than the better camera (and maybe even the higher resolution) I see no reason to get the 7 Plus. :p

ojaian

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
Ordered and still in processing 2 Jet Black reg 7's. For us the 4.7 is the perfect all around size.

CMoore515

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2015
Des Moines, IA
I think it's mostly got to do with the fact that the Plus, for the first time, is cosmetically different from the 4.7 model in that the camera is "better." (Better is relative.)

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for my 128GB 7... I'd be hard pressed to go with the Plus as I covet the one handed usability.

Aibocyrus

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
Orlando, FL
Had the 7. Went on a trip and took pictures. Came home. Exchanged for 7+.
First time with the plus size. I like it more.
Bigger keyboard makes typing a ton easier. Screen is easier to view for me. I use it more than my computer now. The camera is nice. But after owning the plus... I couldn't go back.
I also love having the landscape mode on the home screen! Lol. That's handier than you would think.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
seems like I'm the only one on the forum that orderd the 7. Idk how he plus got so popular this year.

I never really got the whole can't use phone with one hand thing. My youngest who is 8 now has been using my + devices find since the 6+. If you only have one hand I can see the argument. 4.7 vs 5.5 IMO is not a big difference.

If so, why not get an SE as that is a lot smaller and easier to use with one hand than the 7?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Have the regular 7. I'll buy the 5.5" once they ditch the dedicated home button next year and fit it in roughly the footprint of the current 4.7" model.

And all Plus owners will look back and wonder how they've managed to put up with such an unwieldy iPhone, just like how iPhone 5 owners looked back at the 4/4s and wondered how they managed to use such a small device. Ditto with iPhone 6 owners looking back at the 5 series.

Reactions: unobtainium

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Nah, I'd be ordering the 7 if I was upgrading right now. Dual camera sounds nice, but not nice enough to consider trying using something that unwieldy. Whenever I've picked up one of the Plus phones it just seems impractical to me. I realize it works for many people and one handed use isn't a big consideration for everyone though...

fanta88

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
Actually, the .8 inch difference in size makes a huge difference in one handed usability, at least for me. My thumb can span horizontally across the face of the phone on the 7; I could not do that using my 6S+ (not without precariously balancing the phone on the pads of my fingers). Then there's the weight difference to take into consideration as well, the huge bezels, etc

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
7 matte black here. Ordered the 7+, but changed mind. I realized I used my iPhone a lot one handed and I can't do that with the plus so I went with the smaller one.

tommysm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2013
Because big screens are the "in" thing. They're adding all the cool stuff to the plus models

UnluckyXIII

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2014
I will be going from a Note 4 to an iPhone 7+ So a slight size increase, when I first got the Note 4 two years ago I thought I would hate the size but after using it for a few weeks/months you really do appreciate the additional screen size.

The most common areas I've seen concerns are in regards to operating the phone one handed but in all honesty I never found this a problem with my note and with things like reachability on the iPhone I can't see me having any problem here either. The second being where to keep the phone, surely I can't be the only person who uses the inside pocket of their jacket to store the phone when in the office or walking around the city? And I've not found a pair of jeans/trousers that it hasn't fit into (including skinny jeans).

My girlfriend got the standard 6s as it fits her hands better than the + size phone.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008

I went with the + this time to make to have a bigger difference from my 6. If they had done a new design, I probably would have stayed with the smaller size :)

I'm sure it will take some getting used to. Have to keep it in my pants pocket instead of shirt pocket.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I never thought I'd switch to the Plus phones, and then last year I started using my girlfriend's 6S Plus and I eventually bought one of my own. Now I'm on the 7 Plus. The regular 7 feels small to me now. I am perfectly comfortable with the larger size and couldn't imagine going back to the 4.7 phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.