"Why the BlackBerry Storm is no iPhone killer" <-- great read

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gregoryhutchson, Nov 21, 2008.

1. gregoryhutchson macrumors newbie

2. wheelhot macrumors 68020

yeah, after reading the flaws in Storm, guess the iPhone still hold its crown ;)

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The thing about this is no phone has to be another phones' "killer". The Storm alone is actually a huge leap from RIIM. It is not perfect and it still doesn't have the sleekness that the iPhone has, but if there aren't some improvements on AT&T's side I will easily switch to the Storm from the iPhone.

4. macbookairapple macrumors regular

"iphone killer'' my foot. How can a phone get hit with so many bad reviews? :p

5. nanvinnie macrumors regular

the phone looks pretty nice, but it seems it still falls short. how is anyone going to beat the the iphone os and safari? haha good luck!

6. Project macrumors 68020

See I disagree with this.

The SurePress stuff is a failure. Absolutely no doubt about it. Its quite simply horrible.

Secondly, the Blackberry OS is pretty much the same as it always has been with this device. There is no huge leap technically. the Storm essentially is the most powerful Blackberry device to date by specification, but clunkier for their core asset - email. The underpinnings of the thing are the same, so I fail to see how its a great leap.

7. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

i could never go to anything else after using the iPhone. being a fan of mac and using apple since the early 80s i'm comfortable sticking by them... even in the mid-90s where i thought for sure apple was gonna go under i still bought a performa6400.

anyway i was just at the mall and counted 4 people waiting in line for the STORM.

8. macbookairapple macrumors regular

RIM could have made the Storm better than this but unfortunately for them, they don't have balls like Apple and do whatever the carriers tell them. :p

9. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

if i wasnt in a stupid contract i'd throw my iphone away and get a storm.

atleast it can do more useful things.

10. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

This is the traditional BlackBerry.....

.....and this is the Storm.

Attached Files:

11. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

...like?

12. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

copy and paste
    PUSH email
    screen rotates in sms and mail without the need for a stupid app.
    bluetooth stereo

13. macbookairapple macrumors regular

The iphone does push email, hehehehe...

Go enjoy your storm, too bad the reviews ain't looking good for an iphone killer..:p

14. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

My iPhone gets push email already? BT stereo and copy and paste I'll give 'ya but I imagine those will both be available for the iPhone in short order.

You *do* know that most of what is attracting people to the Storm is the skin....right?

15. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

i mean real push.

uh, the iphone does wannabe ****** push heheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheehhehe

16. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Dude....if you're having problems getting email pushed to your phone I would venture to say it's operator error. LMAO

17. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

uh no, if you look other people arent getting their yahoo pushed anymore.

and 2.2 said it made changes to fetch and push because they know their are problems with it. i bet it still wont work.

wooo omg i really wanted emojoi icons how did apple know, thats what i always wanted. wow all my problems are solved.

18. nanvinnie macrumors regular

the iphone could use mms, text forwarding, copy and paste, but i would still argue that it's ahead of the competition as a complete package. it would take a lot for any competitor to match/exceed the iphone os and safari capabilities.

19. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Yeah, for it not to have built in wireless is an extremely laughable joke to even pair it as a running mate for the iphone.

*rant*
    I was so pissed when my dad went to buy my mom an iphone and the sales guy actually told him the iphone was a piece of junk...that he actually wanted to get her a blackberry.

He touted that the iphone only came with a certain available space and you could swap out sd cards with blackberry...I'm sorry, but I don't know anyone who is going to carry around 5 sd cards...that's just absurd.
    okay...*rant off*

20. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

So change to Gmail or get a real email address.

'Ya know, I'm thinking you *should* get a Storm. Yeah....go get one! :rolleyes:

21. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

I couldn't agree with you more. Have you read the lead story about the *possibility* of MMS coming to the iPhone?

22. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

gmail doesnt push.

it fetches.

i guess ill need 2 phones so i can actually get my email without having to refresh mail.

23. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Dont even try to say that iPhone has real push, it doesnt. Its a huge battery hog the way they have it. It constantly pings the server looking for new email. Thats NOT push, thats a constant request. True push is patented by RIM, and your phone doesnt have to keep asking for mail.

24. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

I don't really know the true definition of "push" because I really don't care but I will say this.....

I have a Cox account and a Gmail account set up on my iPhone. When I get mail on either of these accounts, they come directly to my iPhone and I get an alert letting me know they are there. So, I'm not quite sure what you are looking for beyond this?

Maybe it's just me but I really don't care how my phone gets mail, I just want it to do it.....and it does.....and I'm pretty confident I represent the *vast* majority of people.

25. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    add some lipstick on that thing