Why the hell doesn't the home button blink for notifications yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Calidude, Sep 28, 2011.

?

Should the home button blink when you get a notification?

1. Yes!

330 vote(s)
    77.3%
  2. No!

97 vote(s)
    22.7%
  1. Calidude, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011

Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

Really now. Nobody puts their iPhone face down and nobody wants to be pressing the home button each time to see if anything new has come in. Why hasn't the home button been used for notifications since say...the iPhone 3G?

This is long overdue. I need to see this happen in iPhone 5.

EDIT: Obviously this feature would be optional, reasonably colored and modestly lit so don't freak out with your reply acting like you're going to have an incredibly bright light blaring at all hours that you can't turn off like so many drama queens on this forum will certainly be tempted to do.

2. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Because it doesn't. :apple: hasn't done it, so we don't have it. I doubt there is enough room for it, and that would be one more thing to kill battery life.

3. DeaconGTG macrumors member

Personally, I don't want any kind of LED light indicating notification, etc. I sleep with the phone near me, so that going off all night would irritate me.

That being said, if an indiator light was forced upon me, putting it in the home button is a creative way to do it.

4. Rolvag macrumors regular

Rolvag

5. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Would I like it? Doubt it, but I do think it's a creative way of thinking.

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I see that we have now moved passed the "when will invitations be sent out" threads to the inevitable "why doesn't the iPhone X have/do this" and "I'm disappointed" threads, though I will say this is a week earlier than usual (normally people complaining after the keynote, not before).

7. Uln4321 macrumors regular

I would love an LED notification!! I sold my iPhone 4 a few weeks ago (knowing something new was coming out) and ever since then I have been using a palm pixie and I Love the LED notification. So helpful. And if you don't want to use it there is always an option of turning it off! :D

8. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Obviously it wouldn't light up enough to bother you when you sleep. Just enough to see it in the daytime with a cursory glance.

9. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Daytime meaning sunlight? If the light is bright enough to see in sunlight, then it would be more than bright enough to wake a light sleeper.

10. CrzyIcE macrumors member

I think that would be cool, like if its a thin ring around the home button that flashes for notifications.

11. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I really hope there's a possibility of some type of notification light anywhere on the front of the next iPhone. I'd be ecstatic if it were the home button.

12. nutmac macrumors 68040

A tasteful indicator, like the sleep indicator on portable Macs, could be useful. I wouldn't want the entire home button to glow though. Perhaps small dot opposite of the front camera for symmetry.

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Would be an awesome feature. They should include an option to turn off the light though

14. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Daytime meaning during the daytime in a room without direct sunlight on the phone. Any LED visible with the sun directly on it is way too bright for any phone.

15. batting1000 macrumors 604

Because it has no light in it...

16. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Of course they should, and they would. I'm not saying the LED should be mandatory. It should be enabled by default and easily disabled in general settings.

17. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Although useful I tend to find indicator lights annoying. The only time I really liked it was on my Katana Eclipse X. The phone would pulse colors.

[​IMG]

18. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

You find indicator lights annoying and you thought THAT, with its pulsing colors, was likable?

19. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Thats what the #1 on the call icon on the invitations mean!!!:)

ID LOVE a notification light, especially if it could be turned off so everyone cant use it as an excuse for whats eating battery.

I have a sickness of checking my damn home button WAAaaay too much.

20. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

It is the little blinky lights that bugs me. It is stupid I know but just a design preference. :p

21. gpat macrumors 6502a

Doesn't iOS 5 have this with the LED Flash? It's obtrusive as hell though.

22. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Yes, I'm hoping that that feature is crappy for iPhone 4 users but works on the home button for iPhone 5 users. If anything, that would be one hell of a sales tactic since current iPhone 4 users would say: "hey, that's how it's supposed to work!" and buy buy buy.

Besides, nobody puts their phone face down.

23. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

The ones that do will want it on the back and argue intently that thats how you SHOULD set your phone down:confused:.

24. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Yeah we'll just laugh at those people.

25. Matbe macrumors newbie

I think this feature would be great.

They could link the feature to the alarm clock. So if you set an alarm for the morning you could choose to disable the LED until after the alarm goes off.