wifi does not work on iPhone3G after update to iOS 4.0.1?????

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by benji888, Jul 16, 2010.

1. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

I updated to iOS 4.0.1 from 4.0 and now I cannot get on wifi!!???

WTF guys? anyone else having this problem? I already had updated to 4.0 but when I updated to 4.0.1, I think wifi was working at first then all of a sudden it just dropped the wifi signal and now it won't find it, I have tried everything including typing the name manually - this happened last night, I tried restarting phone several times and I'm using the wifi right now on my MacBook Pro and my roommate has 3G iphone w/ver. 3 software and has no problem getting on wifi...this is a PROBLEM since I barely get 0-2 bars at home!!:confused:

2. Maury macrumors 6502

Nope. Working perfectly for me. And everything's faster too.

Did you do a super-duper-hard-reboot after upgrading? Hold down the power and home buttons. Keep them held down. More. More. More.... Wait until the screen has reset several times and it's obvious it's not doing it again. Then let go.

Maury

3. benji888 thread starter macrumors 68000

benji888

you are mistaken, that is what you do if your phone gets locked up and you can't do anything including turn it off ... I have no problem turning it off an on again ... however, I tried this anyway and it has no effect whatsoever.

...as far as being faster?? hmmm, I guess it is a little faster

4. Maury macrumors 6502

Ummm, what?

Ohhh... I didn't ask if you turned it off and on. I asked if you did a true reset.

It starts the same as turning it off. You hold down both buttons and then you get the slide to power off message. DO NOT LET GO, keep them held down. Now the phone will reset. DO NOT LET GO, keep them held down. Now the phone will reset again. NOW you can let go.

Maury

5. benji888 thread starter macrumors 68000

benji888

As I previously stated...ugh, I'll try to say it another way: what you are telling me to do I tried and it made no difference...however, what you are telling me to do is what one does when their phone is locked up and they can't turn it off, it is better to turn the phone off in the normal way if you can than to interrupt the phone in this way...doing a powercycle (turn off and on again) does reset the phone, and I do this whenever i download apps or app updates.

I tried another person's wifi and my iPhone will not recognize any wifi signal...WTF happened? :confused: all I did was sync my phone and get the update to go from 4.0 to 4.0.1 :confused: ...DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT HAPPENED OR WHAT I CAN DO TO GET WIFI WORKING AGAIN? I really need it to be working!! :eek:

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try reset network settings.
    If that doesnt work do a restore thru itunes.

7. benji888 thread starter macrumors 68000

benji888

ugh, I'm trying to get ready for 9 day vacation... reset network settings didn't help, I guess I'll have to do a restore, I've never done one before, ugh :p

ugh, I don't think I want to do this, won't I lose all of my contacts, text messages, notes, calendar info., all my settings and things w/apps?? ugh, there has to be a better way :(

8. Claude&Eustace macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. My 3G wifi greyed out after upgrading to iOS4. I went to a so called "Genius" at the Boston Apple Store who wiped everything and did a restore -- despite my having told him that I had already tried this to no avail. Unsurprisingly there was still a "No Wifi" sign. He just said it's a hardware problem and that because it's out of warranty there's nothing I can do. Well that is simply not good enough. If I had caused this wifi-blackout myself, that would be a different story. But when all I did was upgrade the software -- something which I am expected to do -- it is egregious form for Apple to wash their hands of me.

Do people have any advice. My iPhone has been partly disabled by a software upgrade. It may in fact be a hardware problem, but that problem has been caused by the software upgrade.

Bitterly disappointed in treatment by Apple,

Claude

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's not a software issue claude.
    Electronic components don't last forever and they do go bad after years.
    And since your out of warranty how is it apples fault?

10. benji888 thread starter macrumors 68000

benji888

If it's a hardware issue then why did it happen when he upgraded the software???? I don't buy it!

...what happens if I do a restore and set up as a new iPhone, will I lose all my apps, texts, calendar info, etc???? I've had my 3G since Feb '09 and this is the first time I've had a problem with it, I'm scared to do a restore :eek:

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If its software why didnt it happen to millions of other iphone 3G users?
    I dont buy it either:D
    Stuff does go down at odd times but it doesnt mean the update kills hardware within the phone.
    Setup as new and see if the wifi works. If not then wifi went bad.
    You can transfer all your contacts back if you sync them with address book or any other options thru itunes.
    Texts and calendar stuff will be gone. You can sync all your Apps, music and ringtones back thru itunes.
    Or restore from backup after that to see if it goes down or makes any difference.
    Good luck

12. benji888 thread starter macrumors 68000

benji888

UGH, I didn't have time to wait for a reply so I did a restore as new...it asked me if I wanted to do a backup first so I did...now it is restored to 4.0.1 da**it, WTF did Apple do that now my wifi is not working??? It is obviously a software issue since it was fine before I updated to 4.0.1! I have had no problems with my 3G iPhone since I got it Feb. '09. I'm not leaving out anything like "I dropped it" because I didn't, all I did was update it and now no wifi. I have a couple hours to get ready to leave, now what?? I need wifi for the trip and am trying not to get totally P.O.'d. I lost my texts but calendar sync'd w/my MacBook, my photos are gone, but most are on iPhoto...this is something that should have been mentioned by iTunes before I agreed to do the restore! WTF!? Whatever they did fu**ed up my wifi and I'm P.O.'d! They can't just drop the 3G iPhone, they were selling it less than a month ago. ...now I wish I would have left it alone, it is worse since I still cannot use wifi, but now lost some things... :mad::eek::confused:

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Since the restore as new didnt correct it you can plug it back into itunes and select restore from backup.
    It will be just like earlier with all your stuff on it.
    About the wifi issue I dont know what happened but maybe they wifi component was on its way out.
    I know it didnt happen to all iphone 3G models so dont know what to think. Maybe go to Apple and hope you get lucky and they exchange it for you for free.

14. benji888 thread starter macrumors 68000

benji888

I don't know, I tried restore, but it gave me no options. It looks the same and no texts or photos, but got my notes, contacts, and calendar info still. If I try to restore from backup now, will it go back to 4.0? Is it like Time Machine where I can go backward more than one step?

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, it wont go down to 4.0
    Just right click your phone on the left side on itunes and select restore from backup.
    Then it will put all your stuff back since the last time you synced or backed it up.

16. sharkync macrumors regular

I am SOOO glad I stayed with 3.0 on my 3G.

Hope you get it sorted.

17. troessler macrumors newbie

Same effect here. iPhone 3G, bought Feb 09, Wifi worked in 4.0.0, and seems broken in 4.0.1. I even tried a downgrade to firmware 3.1.3, to no avail.

18. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

WTF? I too have my kids' 8gb 3G iPhone that I just updated to 4.0.1. Under settings, the Wi-Fi line is completely grayed out and says "No Wi-Fi". The hardware CAN'T have just crapped out! 4.0.1 works fine on my iPhone 4 and my wife's 3GS.

PLUS, I can't seem to roll back to 4.0 or any other firmware. WTF!?!?!

19. lightm macrumors newbie

Same problem!

I upgraded my 3G from to 4.0.1 this afternoon and now can not connect to wifi, otherwise it seems ok. Will call apple in morning (Australia) to see if there are any suggestions. Hopefully there is a fix or 4.0.2 in a hurry!

20. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

In your case, is it that you cannot connect OR is your WiFi selection completely grayed out as well?

Just to be clear, here's a screen shot of what the grayed out WiFi looks like on my 3G iPhone.

Attached Files:

21. troessler macrumors newbie

Interesting. Mine still detects networks accurately, but is "unable to connect." (GPS, Bluetooth and other wireless receivers still function properly.)

22. akswun macrumors regular

akswun

I had the same problem a day after I upgraded to ios4.... a friend of mine reported the same thing happened to his 8gb 3g when he upgraded to io4 as well.
    Funny thing is I bought my 8gb 3g in Feb 09' as well...lol....

I'm really questioning if the update messed up the hardware or the hardware itself just expired....

I don't really care because I'm going to get myself a iphone4 when its released here in Canada regardless of the dropped call issues because the service here in Toronto is A++ ... my 3g used to drop calls in crappy conditions ie.poor signaled areas... but what phone wouldn't?

anyway... if you're a conspiracy theorist then maybe the update was meant to fry the 3G's wifi pushing apple consumers to upgrade to the 4G.... but maybe ill wait a year for a 4GS!! A5 chips? lol

23. fizzywizzy macrumors newbie

4.0.1 Wifi capability lost...

Have spoken to all my friends who have 3GS and all have lost Wifi capability since upgrading to 4.0.1. Including one friend who hadn't moved to 4.0.1 and did so whilst I was there and instantly lost the capability to connect. Really frustrating that the supposed iPhone4 fix has only made things worse for the non iPhone4 population. Apple seem to be having a nightmare right now. Anyone know when the fix is due?

24. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

So I went to my local Apple Store "genius" bar a little over an hour ago. They told me that it's not a software issue but rather it's a hardware issue and it would cost me $199 to swap/fix. Forget that! If it is indeed a hardware issue (which I don't agree with) is there an easy fix if I open this thing up?

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You have to open it and replace the wifi chip on the board. Not an easy or cheap fix. If you mess up you can make the phone completelly useless.