wii or ps3

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by ZOMG, Jul 25, 2008.

1. ZOMG macrumors newbie

I am looking to buy a consul and I can't decide between a wii and a ps3. I have ruled out an 360 because you have to pay for live and an adapter which a wii or a ps3 comes with. Sure a 360 has better games but free online is worth more. Almost all of my friends say ps3/360 and I'm leaning that way but I have one VERY VERY persistent friend who is wii all the way and has outlined every little fault in the ps3 including
    "its so heavy it will fall through the floor and crush my dad on the ground floor".:rolleyes:

What do you think?

If douglas is reading this just don't talk.

2. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

[​IMG]

I'm sorry that's not very helpful but I couldn't resist.

3. ZOMG thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

That was amazing! I mean, you -- I - I - goba - chjiggidba - heggye - I didn't . . . . . I'm buying you a pizza!

5. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Well... errrr.... I'll try to help. I have a Wii and a PS3.

Wii:
    The Wii has a bunch of good games already out. Most of them are a bit kiddish but are still great games. The flow of h-core games is slowing down so if you are a hard core gamer don't get this. The online is the worst online ever. Most of the WiiWare sucks. Virtual console is good, but where's my HD??? I've got a huge pile of remote add ons because Nintendo needs a new add on for every one of their games. Zapper, wheel, fit board, nunchuck, classic...... Most of the Nintendo games are just remakes of older ones with some new stuff in the mix.

PS3:
    The PS3 has a bunch of good games coming soon. Lots of great shooters, along with the sweetest game ever. LittleBigPlanet!!! The online is good. Nothing to complain about. Sure it's not Live but it's free. And Home is coming.. urggghhh... soon? I love the PSN titles, especially the PixelJunk titles. And there are some interesting ones coming soon like Fat Princess. With a PSP the remote play is great. The new PSN video store is ok but I've got an TV for that.

Well... I hope that helped. Any questions?

6. kjr39 macrumors 6502

Look at the games available...

I have a 360 and a Wii. Because the games I like to play are mostly on the 360, the Wii is collecting dust.

In fact, I'm waiting for Xmas season to hit and then I'm going to be putting the Wii up for sale because I just don't play it...

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Good advice. WII seems to focus on sports/party games due to it's controller but it also has at least one role playing game (the name escapes me) where you move the controller to swing your sword and other things. If you are into shooters, roleplaying, or other AAA games, I'd say the PS3 or 360 are the way to go.

8. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Er... Wii is exciting at first (with its amazing remote) but its futureproof index is zero considering its sub par graphics and abysmal output capabilities!

PS3 has BluRay, new games coming up and its powerful! But the current scenario (soon to change) is a bit boring!

9. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

i was in the same boat and ended up with a ps3. one thing i really like is streaming media from my mac to the ps3. blueray is a plus. little big planet looks awesome. i'd say go with the ps3 or 360.

10. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

You shouldn't rule out the 360 just because of the price of Live, not to mention you get what you pay for, it's only $50 a year not a month, if $4.16/month represents a financial problem for you then you shouldn't buy a console in the first place.

I'd go with a PS3, the Wii is great and all but it's mostly a Gamecube 2 with awesome party games (I'd say the Wii is the best system for playing with real friends, especially those that are not too much into games) but it does games games worth playing such as Mario Galaxy (the ONLY game to prove the Wii is more powerful than an Xbox1), Twilight Princess, Mario Kart Wii, Metroid Prime 3, Zack & Wiki, No More Heroes, Super Smash Bros Brawl as well as a few PS2/Cube ports if you missed them like Okami and Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition.

The PS3 on the other hand has quite competent online (not as good as Live though), has many games not available on PCs (unlike the 360 where most good exclusives are also available for PC) and has a very expansive library like Metal Gear Solid 4, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, Motorstorm, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, PixelJunk, Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction, Uncharted, Resistance Fall of Man and all the other 360 multi-platforms like Grand Theft Auto IV, Devil May Cry 4, GRID, DiRT, Virtua Fighter 5, Unreal Tournament III, Burnout Paradise, Bad Company and Civ Revolutions with upcoming games such as LittleBigPlanet, Final Fantasy XIII (also available on 360), The Last Remnant, Bioshock (already available on PC and 360), Gran Turismo 5, Fat Princess and a bunch others.

I'd go for the PS3 for Metal Gear Solid 4 alone.

11. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I vote for both, but ZOMG prefers PSP games, :eek: so the PS3 is probably a way better fit.

Shooters on a 360... BuwHhahahHhahahhahahahhaaaaa. :D

There are plenty of non party games on a Wii and plenty more to come now that it's the market leader. So we should be seeing true Wii games, not just more ports from last generation.

You should put the price of a PS3 towards a new PC though. :) Better games -- ALL of the games -- and none of the downfalls of owning a 360. But on the other hand, it sucks when 360 games are ported back to the PC -- stupid BioShock. :(

MicroCenter is selling a Q9450 for only $279 at the moment. Even the base 9600 GT leaves a PS3's GPU in the dust.

If I were a MSG fan, I would buy a PS3, but as is, this is the only game that has me interested in getting one. I'll most likely hold off for another sub-par PC port, as I doubt this game will sell well on the PS3 and just OK on the 360.

<]=)

12. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I agree actually, people who prefer shooters with a gamepad over a keyboard/mouse just have bad taste in videogames.

I used to buy consoles almost as soon as they came out, this gen though, my PC, with a 360 controller for some games like DMC4, and my DS have served my gaming needs almost completely, all I really want to play on consoles is MGS4, GTAIV (coming to PC most likely anyways), LittleBigPlanet and the Nintendo franchise games on the Wii.

13. ZOMG thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah thanks for the advice. I'm probably going to go with ps3 since their are more+funner games. I've checked it out and the only games that interest me on the wii are supermariocart and brawl, both of which seem like their predecessors on the gamecube with a few added maps and characters. I do like shooter games eg. call of duty more then mario games so the ps3 seems right.

14. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

And you have to get LittleBigPlanet. That's like a rule of PS3 owning. Buy that game.

15. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I have both, and they both have their pros and cons.

The PS3 is great for movies and Bluray, and is great if you're into more traditional gaming. On the downside, it is big and bulky. It looks good, yes, but it takes up a lot of room. Another good thing is, unlike the Wii, it doesn't have removable batteries and comes with a USB cable so you can charge it whenever you want.

The Wii is much more imaginative and fun, and has a variety of features that the PS3 lacks (such as the different channels), but currently lacks DVD playback ability and has the poorest graphics out of the three current 'mainstream' seventh gen consoles.

Personally, I prefer the PS3.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd go for the Wii. As I always say - both the 360 and PS3 have experiences you can get with a PC, just with higher game prices, lower resolutions and worse controls (for some genres and in the 360's case its most popular genre). The Wii is the only one that offers something different IMO. I still play Wii Sports, Brawl is quite the ultimate game for everything, home of the best (IMO) Mario and Mario Kart titles.

And of course you have the VC. I missed out on many older games so it's great being able to play catchup with classics.

Out of interest I wonder if any of the pro-PS3 people saying the Wii has "the poorest graphics of this gen" said the same thing about the PS1 and 2.

17. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

If you are a huge fan of Nintendo IP then you should get a Wii, although I personally don't think any of the Mario titles available are that much better than their 'Cube [Smash] or DS [Kart] counterparts. I hope developers stop pasting Wii controls onto lame PS2 ports and start making games for the Wii.

OTOH, I am playing the PS3 far more than any other console [have all of the current and last gen consoles] lately. BR playback and DVD upscaling are great add-on's if you have an HD TV, giving the PS3 the nod over the 360 for me. Exclusives like Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Heavenly Sword, MGS4, Motorstorm, Hot Shots Golf, and several of the PSN games are loads of fun.

18. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

That is quite well said, and accurate. The only bonus to having a PS3 and XBox, taking that into consideration, is if you can't wait to have the new games and want them immediately. In other words, is it worth it to you to pay more money and have lesser graphics just to be able to play GTA IV right now?

Also, I <3 VC.

19. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

You still won't get access to some great exclusives for each console. The thing is the Wii just doesn't have any amazing new innovative titles. It's just old games with crappy controls. I'd have to say look at a list of exclusives and pick your fav. It's the easiest way :p.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's an odd thing to say.
    Mario Kart, Galaxy, Wii Sports, Brawl, Prime 3 (out of the games I own) don't exactly fit your formula. And don't some old games also perform better with the "crappy controls", ie Resident Evil 4.

What are these great exclusives? The only console game that probably should be out on PC too is MGS4, and it's entirely likely it'll end up on that system in time given Konami's approach to compression. The Bioshocks, the Mass Effects, the GTA's and Halo's all end up on the PC - or the best (Orange Box) start off on the PC.

21. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Mario Kart is just all the other Mario Karts with some items that just piss me off, new levels, and ok controls. Galaxy was good, Wii Sports get old fast, Melee was a lot better than Brawl, Prime 3 was good.

22. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

raggedjimmi's point was that the Wii is basically the only console that actually has

The others have games that either start or end up on the PC, and are always better there. Your opinion is valid, and if you don't like the Wii controls you probably shouldn't own one, but the reality of "exclusive" titles is considerably more present on the Wii.

23. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

^^^
    Don't get me wrong. I don't hate the Wii. Just there aren't many new games that actually look good. And if anyone watched the E3 conference...... that was just sad :(. This is PS3 or Wii. I'm not seeing many PS3 exclusives going to PC, or even a possibility of that. Lots of the best 360 exclusives are published by Microsoft so Microsoft ports them to PC too. And maybe this person who asked the question doesn't have and/or want a new computer.... Just saying.

24. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I agree with Jimmi in the sense the 360/PS3 are not much beyond a wannabe Gaming PC (stupid Microsoft and stupid Sony for following suit) but what happens when you don't have a powerful PC or any intention to get one?

Currently I have a good gaming PC and a Nintendo DS, if I had a Wii all I would be really missing out on would be MGS4 (a big loss though, I'm a huge MGS fan :() and GTA4 (coming to the PC anyways) and some upcoming games like Resident Evil 5 which looks darned awesome.

If I didn't have a gaming PC I'd prefer to have a PS3 though, it has less "look I want to be a PC game" games and more games that work better on consoles. The Wii, while great and fun, doesn't offer enough, Mario Kart Wii is pretty fun but it plays almost exactly like MKDS (with better online and no snaking though), Galaxy is a pretty awesome game with great graphics, one of the few standouts in the Wii's library but I feel the Wii works better as a secondary console, especially when you can play with real friends (who aren't even into gaming).

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

But you said good exclusives, not forgettable titles like Heavenly Sword, Lair, Uncharted and friends. Games like Resistance are ten a penny, especially on the 360 and especially on PC.

And saaaaywhaaaat? I've got a 2 year old iMac that runs Orange Box and Bioshock very nicely. Where's it written that they need an expensive, modern PC to cope with games that are also on the 360 and PS3? If I drop my resolution down to what GTA IV's, MGS4, Halo 3 then I'm sure my iMac could run them quite admirably too. Just with faster loading times.