wii or xbox 360

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by iancapable, Sep 3, 2007.

1. iancapable macrumors 6502

iancapable

I'm not a fan of MS, but the xbox 360 from what I know is a pretty good console and has very good games...

I'm not buying a PS3 as my girlfriend has banned me... She says I will end up spending too much money!

So what should it be and why?

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Both consoles have their merits and are worth owning. If you are only buying one, you should let the game libraries dictate your selection.

What types of games do you like to play?

3. iancapable thread starter macrumors 6502

iancapable

I'm very much into roleplaying and fps, I like a good strategy game, but I've got a pc (mac) for that.

The thing that tears me si quite simple: The Wii looks fun, it has not got anywhere near the amount of games as the xbox.

4. doctor newb macrumors newbie

Lets face it the wii's library of games is dominated by childish titles such as wario, mario, pokemon, etc. But the xbox is a completely larger library filled with lots of fps and rpg's. I recommend the 360 because of the online play and great library. I have nothing against the wii, but most of my friends who had a 360 and a wii ended up selling there wii

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Most of the Wii's library hadn't hit yet, that's why. Now that Metroid Prime 3 is out and Super Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros are almost here...Medal of Honor 2 looks good as well.

It's a tough call. FPS controls better on the Wii but the 360 is likely to have more/better FPS games. Microsoft only has one true RPG, Blue Dragon, and an action-adventure, Oblivion; Nintendo's got two action-adventures (Zelda and Metroid, and Metroid is a sort of FPS now with Wii controls...maybe 3 if you count Super Paper Mario), and will have a Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest game next year.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If you're into FPS - you have Wii for the FPS controls (read up on the Metroid Prime 3 reviews :eek: ), or for more FPS games get the 360.

It's going to be a tough call. RPG will be big on the Wii (and DS, but that's another story) since it's dominating in Japan.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

FPS, pick Xbox 360....Wii only have MP3 for now, and its not a normal FPS(some even say its not an FPS)

Halo 3, Gears of Wars(a 3rd person shooter) and BioShock

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Pick up a magazine or look on IGN. Take a look at games you fancy playing. If more are for the Wii, then get that. If more are for the 360, then get that. Simple as....

9. Aranince macrumors 65816

Medal of Honor Heros 2 on the Wii is going to have 32 player online.

10. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

If you wanna play FPS, go for the 360. Halo 3, COD2 and 4 (although they are available on all consoles), Bioshock (FPS with puzzle/RPG elements), and more coming.

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

COD2 is not out for Wii, although you could buy it for NGC, which Wii supports...and COD4 currently has no plans for Wii.

Another thing though, if your worried about spending $$ equal to PS3 be warned, 360 can add up. 360-349/449(don't get the 279 Core model), 99-Wi-Fi, 60 Xbox Live..thats already a PS3...of course you don't need Wi-Fi, just something to think about.

12. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

The Wii has a ton of games coming out. It's only been out for a year and its success has already swayed many developers towards it. As EA stated, they were on the wrong hoarse.

Anyone that's read my rambles knows my feeling about using one's thumb for a FPS. My feeling against this cumbersome-inefficient-atrocity are only amplified by folds when applied to a RTS game.

The 360's controller was never meant for FPS or RTS games. It's only good for games like like Pokemon, Mario, Wario, etc. The Wii's controls on the other hand are perfect for these types of games, or any game that requires a pointer.

Anyway, buy both systems if you can find a Wii of course.

<]=)

13. boobooq88 macrumors regular

The real questions are:

Halo 3 or Metroid Prime 3?
    Forza 2 or Mario Kart?
    Wii Ware or Xbox Live Arcade?
    (Whatever can go here) or Smash Brothers?
    (Whatever can go here) or Super Mario Galaxy?

Non-free but great online or Limited but Free Online?

Graphics or Gameplay?

$99 WIFI Adapter or Built in WIFI?

I have a Wii and love it but I am thinking of getting a 360 for Halo 3 and better online play. (especially with the new improved 360s and the price drop)

14. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I'm more of a FPS kind of guy, I have a wii and 360, and I prefer the 360 just because of the great online and great games. However, once third parties start to release quality games for the wii (not just poorly crafted ports) and Nintendo tweaks the online service to be a little better, then I would imagine that the wii will become my favorite console.

15. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I find it slightly ironic that a Microsoft console is meant for Pokemon, Mario and Wario and a Wii isn't :rolleyes:

Anyways, I'm with MRU here, check out IGN.com and see what games are coming out for each console and then just decide your purchase based on that.

And JackAxe, if you are looking for the premium FPS and RTS experience the PC is superior in every sense (yes even control). So really, the Wii is not meant for FPS or RTS either.

16. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

If you want to play the best game ever made, IMO, then get the 360 and get ready for some serious Halo action....The Wii is fun but there is only one game called Halo.

17. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

So he should play Halo whilst waiting for the best game ever made?

18. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Mr Chone, please note the irony in the 360, a console that likes to tout about its PC-type games, but is unequipped to play them, because its controller is based on a configuration better suited for platfomers, games like the ones I mentioned. ;)

And as I've stated many times before, I've owned PCs since the eighties. I've ben using them for 22 years now and have been piecing them together since the 386 days. For a console, the Wii's remote is hands down the best setup I've used next to a mouse. The Wiimote when properly setup is quite accurate and after playing Metroid Prime 3 now, there are aspects I like better than a mouse + keyboard setup, because it offers the best of both worlds. The Wii also supports a keyboard now for typing. :)

<]=)

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

There are lots of ironies in gaming.

To say the gaming experience is based around how much it draws you in through graphics, sound and addictive gameplay - the weaker system always does well (Even when it costs more, PS1/2).
    Microsoft makes bad software for the PC, but brilliant for the 360. The opposite is said for hardware. MS mice, controllers are stellar, but the 360 hardware is junk.

A once brilliant FPS, tainted with a crappy sequel and a 3rd game looking no better or (appears to) be offering nothing new in the way of gameplay? Halo is so poor now. They were really onto something with the strategic gameplay and focus on combat of the original. Now it's just a fan-service bog standard FPS.

On topic though... boobooq88 pretty much hits the nail on the head. And until the 360 allows you to use a USB mouse, the best console FPS controls will be on the Wii.

20. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Maybe the controls.....but so far FPS games(and the controls of those games), atleast according to you have been subpar.

You can't say "but look at MP3 control", because YOU don't think its a FPS, remember? :p

But while the Wii may have the best controls for FPS, which according to me is proved in MP3, Xbox 360 has more FPS to play. And better ones, if your looking for an all shooting games, Prime 3 isn't where you should go. Its darn good, but not Halo 3 or Killzone 2 like...now MoH:Heros 2, we've got something.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Input defines the game now?

Metroid (3, at least) has FPS controls. It's an FPA still. Need I bring up Oblivion, Deus Ex and Thief again? :rolleyes:

22. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Any FPS, no matter how good, is "gimped" if the gamepad is its primary target for controls. Gamepads have been a scourge on the genres I've loved for so many years on my comps! :mad: And other genres, like GAs, because they simply did not translate at all well to the POS gamepad, were completely pushed out for years here the US. :(

MP3 is such a joy and welcome change when it comes to controls. It's way more natural than the mouse was for me at first. Using the stick to aim adds sluggishnes and removes the fluency that a mouse and Wiimote offer.

Co-op made Halo something special for my friend's and I, but not enough for us to pick up Halo 2, mainly because the first one was just another gimped console FPS. :eek:

<]=)

23. pcypert macrumors 6502

Bicker, bicker, bicker...about stupid stuff too. I'm sorry, I love my Wii and have had loads of fun playing it. But if someone wants a console that is better for a certain game set I'd recommend the 360 hands down. The FPS's are phenomenal. The online play is great as is the in room battles. There are more choices for games and the controller is really nice. Maybe it's not a keyboard and mouse...but I've seen folks that could tear up any keyboard and mouse player I've seen with the Xbox controller.

You don't lose something personally if someone goes with a different system folks. Maybe the Wii will pan out to be the end all be all FPS console for the most hardcore gamers....that's a huge maybe given current trends (all but Metroid and ResWii sucking on the FPS control scheme, sub-par graphics, etc). The OP wants a FPS or sporting console. We should have no qualms about recommending the 360 and giving credit where credit is due. If someone wants a slightly more casual system with some innovative games and a nice nostalgic factor we should whole heartedly recommend the Wii.

And if someone wants to be completely short sighted and ignore the fact that they could have both the Wii and the 360's strengths for the same price as a single unit...we can recommend the PS3 :)

Paul

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Oh and a wii doesn't add up ;)

Seriously If you want to play multiplayer, and you add 3 extra wii remotes and nunchucks and want to hook it up to your hdtv via component the Wii ends up nearly as expensive as the rest...

1x $300 wii
    3 x $40 remote
    3 x $20 nunchuck
    1 x $30 component cable

total = $510

25. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

The same argument can be used if you want to do multiplayer on a 360 or PS3. You need 3X extra pads.

To get around this price burden though hopefully you'd have friends with a Wii and they could bring around their remotes.