Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

misterfalcon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2017
nyc
I had google voice before (on the same number) but it messed up my sprint iMessage - I used to be able to send and receive SMS (e.g. android devices) and iMessage texts from my Macs and all iDevices. When i installed GV, I lost that ability so i uninstalled it. afterward, I was able to only able to send and receive iMessages on my Mac/iDevices and not SMS's (unless it was on my iPhone.)

just wanted to know if I install GV now will that problem. reason being is I'm getting a LOT of spam because my number is listed on google maps for my business.

secondly, id like to know if iMessage still supports SMS (to non-iPhones) or has that function been lost.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Messages can definitely send iMessage or SMS but I don't know the effect of a GV number. My GV number is separate.

It's difficult to find reliable, up-to-date info on Google Voice issues.

Solo5000

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2017
I am having the same problem. GV was great since I could get texts on desktop in my pre iMessage days. Now I have a clustercuss because I both have GV Sprint number AND iMessage on phone. I use both apps because I don't want to give up the occasional benefits of each but this is just stupid. When traveling outside the US esp, the ability to get SMS from non iphone people has been valuable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.