Will iphone X be on display at Apple stores prior to ordering?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by upnorth85, Sep 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

Most times, the phone is displayed at an Apple event and bookings open right after that. This time we know there is much time lag between the time Apple demonstrated the iPhone X and the start of booking. Will Apple display the iPhone X in stores in the next few weeks so that potential buyers can play around with it before ordering?

2. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

3. Nilhum macrumors member

Nilhum

I was in the 5th Ave store in Manhattan today and they did not have the X. I was a bit sad.

4. upnorth85 thread starter macrumors 6502

Any particular reason why they would not do that?

5. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Because they never have.

6. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Because that is how Apple has always been. The display models are available on November 3, when iPhone launches. They just want the iPhone itself to be available for viewing when the iPhone X is ready for resale.

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Doubt it. Probably not until the morning of release.

8. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

I will be on display when you can purchase it

9. comptr macrumors 65816

The only Apple product that was in stores before the sale date was the Apple Watch. Apple does not put devices in stores till the day the product sells.

10. bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

More tactics, that the public goes along with. Sales will be huge!

11. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

I don't remember a single iPhone being on display even one second prior to official release, EVER

12. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

As others have said, because they never have.

13. jamesrick80 macrumors 68000

jamesrick80

Why don't they do this is the true question? Samsung doesn't mind doing it at all. Is Apple worried people may find something out and not buy the device? I just think it's foolish not to display it in advance and let people try it out. It's already fully functional.

14. Ries macrumors 68000

They want your money before you find dealbreakers. Once you have it, the average person is less likely to walk back to the store to get their money back.

15. mrklaw macrumors 65816

Just to see the colours properly would be nice

16. LiemTa macrumors 6502

To maintain the illusion of mystery. You will not get to see the device beforehand. It would completely undermine Apple’s attempt to make you yearn for the device. Control yourself weakling.

17. Geert76 macrumors 65816

ofcourse you cannot see the iPhone X beforehand...it's just $1150/€1359, stop whining ;) and get your creditcard ready on the 27th of October.

Okay, you can check out a demo model iPhone X at one of the Apple Stores before spending more then $1000/€1159, but this will be possible AFTER the pre orders on the 27th (of october)....I think you don't have to be a professor to know when ordering an iPhone X after these pre orders will get you shipping times of about 3 or 4 months.

So again, stop whining and just get your money ready for an expensive product you are not able to see in real life.
    Apple knows what's good for you/us! :p

18. mrklaw macrumors 65816

It can be counter productive considering Apple’s relaxed returns policy. Because I’m not sure on the colours, I’m actually considering preordering both colours and then just returning one - either on day one after handling both in-store, or just taking them home and waiting a few days.

19. danmart macrumors 6502

danmart

Turning a cloud into a silver lining: at least the likelihood of many people experienced a delay before their X is delivered means you can go look at one in the shop and change your mind before it arrives...

That’s my plan!

20. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

From what I recall the underlying reason for that was trying it on and fitting for size.

Though you could actually play with demo models too.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 30, 2017 ---
    I doubt it makes a difference in the real world. The majority of phones are not purchased during the pre-order window. Most buyers will actually get to play with phone before buying.

For those that do preorder you could probably demo the phone before it’s even delivered on release day and decide if it’s something you want to keep or not without even opening the box.

21. upnorth85 thread starter macrumors 6502

So Apple is hoping that people will buy without seeing the new device, for fear that if they dont order right away it could take them several weeks or months before they get it. One is more likely to keep it once one buys it. This seems to be a sales strategy. Yesterday there was a post from some one who had a scarch on the coating but yet was reluctant to go through the return process.
    So one follow up question please. I have an Apple store close to my home. For a return, can I just go and return the phone after using the phone, but within 14 days of receiving it? Is there a restocking fee or something like that?

22. the future macrumors 65816

Please name one shop that displays a product (of any kind) that is not (yet) for sale. If it's a "sales strategy", it's pretty widespread and certainly not unique to Apple.

And yes, in the 14 day window you can return any item to Apple without a fee of any kind.

23. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Sweet! Insert that Samsung evangelist schtick into a conversation which it has nothing to do with. We get that you feel the need to self-affirm after switching from iOS, predictable posters are tiresome and predictable.

24. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Most adorable typo I have seen in a long time! Where can we go to view you? :D

25. Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

It wouldn't make any sense. It either:

1) Make consumers frustrated that they can't have what they want, and eventually try to get enough hands on that they try to think of ways they can 'feel' they are sick of it and pick up some other phone.

2) Increase chances of theft at an Apple store.

3) Apple loses the consumers that are anxious about the new phone since they can't even touch it... (who may end up not waiting because they realize how it is not a big deal, or prefer some other phone)

This thread looks similar... merge?
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/store-display-units.2073744/#post-25145947