Will Spaces come back?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by RVM84, Jul 20, 2011.

1. RVM84 macrumors newbie

I've just upgraded to Lion and I've got to say it's really really speedy. However, I've got a real problem with not being able to use Spaces and Exposé the way I could on Snow Leopard.

Particularly being able to drag who desktops around, and use Exposé to show all applications open on a desktop (not just windows for one application). It's really weird as it looks like you should be able to drop things around onto the gray side bits of Mission Control but that's not possible (a step back from how intuitive everything felt on SL). The same goes for not being able to use four fingers swiping up to see the desktop and not being able to use gestures in Finder. It feels like I have to use Mission Control the way the designers of Lion want, instead of set it up how I want like I could with SL.

Do you think there's any chance they'll bring back the options of Spaces in a later release?

I'm seriously considering going back to SL in the meantime, even though I'll miss the speediness of Safari from Lion.

2. skadd, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

skadd macrumors regular

I want to know this too.
    I only use exposé, not spaces. It was a mistake to merge them together like that, imo.
    Most people don't care about multiple desktops anyway.

3. mullet macrumors regular

Spaces and Expose are gone for good as we know it. There is no way to specify Spaces like you used to. I never really liked Expose, but loved Spaces and now I have to deal with both of them through Mission Control. Hopefully, our created desktops "stick" even when we shut down apps, etc. I wouldn't count on it though.

4. MDTyKe macrumors regular

You can while in MC drag a window into a Space at the top.. however I don't see a way of pinning it once the app is re-opened.

5. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

I haven't gotten that to work yet. It just leaves an empty desktop.

6. mullet macrumors regular

That's a bummer. This is one of the things about Lion that annoys me. They should have left the functionality in tact and if the user chooses to use it then great, if not then good on them. No harm no foul. Now the feature is worse. One step forward, two steps back.

7. meagain macrumors 68030

I'm an idiot for installing this without more research.

I constantly have TONS of safari windows open. Is there no way to spread the windows out anymore to see what they are? How am I supposed to see what I'm working with other than trying to mouse click on a tiny piece of a window? I have windows covering windows OMG

8. RVM84 thread starter macrumors newbie

You don't think Apple will put the option to customize spaces back in a later update then?

9. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

They may do, with Leopard (i think) they introduced stacks and removed the list option. Think it returned after a few updates.

I'm sure they'll listen and add it back in the .2 update. Not that I've tried it yet. It's taken around 2 hours to get 75% downloaded! Yay for digital distribution and 4mb internet

10. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

When you lose a supporter you gain another somewhere else. I LOVE MISSION CONTROL better then Space and Expose.

11. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

What's hilarious is that when you scroll between fullscreen apps and spaces normally you push left to go to the app or space on the left, but when you go into mission control it works the opposite. Who the heck designed this crap? It's like people designing one part didn't talk to people designing another. And don't get me started on the stupidity behind 2 finger page swapping not working in iTunes etc but 3 fingers do. Talk about a rush job.

12. bgrissom macrumors newbie

App Expose. Doesn't appear to be enabled by default. Can find it in System Preferences, Trackpad, More Gestures.

13. meagain macrumors 68030

I don't have a trackpad. I have a mouse and iMac. I don't see anything in "more gestures" for the mouse.

I'm not following you :)

14. podsorcerer09 macrumors regular

Once you're in Mission control and your mouse is over the application whose windows you want to see, a tap of the space bar spreads them out into application expose (there's a gesture for it as well but I can't remember)

As for binding applications to a space, it's possible. Read here.

15. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

App Expose on my MBA doesn't work like it shows in the demo. It's supposed to show me every app running in that space, instead it brings one of them to the forefront and hides the rest behind it.

16. RVM84 thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought that was what App Exposé was meant to do? Don't get me wrong, I hate that it doesn't show all Apps in that space, but I thought that was the new 'design'.

17. meagain macrumors 68030

Actually it doesn't show all the safari windows. I have about 12 windows and spreading them out via swipe up only shows 6 of them. I cannot see the windows hidden behind the 6 it crudely and overlappedly displays.

18. klaxamazoo macrumors 6502

yeah. Mission Control really ****ed things up for those of us who use more than one or two windows/application.

I really hope someone develops an Expose/Spaces clone for Lion. I would easily pay $30 to get access to the new features of Lion without the severe limitations of Mission Control.

19. meagain macrumors 68030

I couldn't even find this window to respond to! I had to manually point/click with the mouse on tiny exposed pieces of window blindly till I found this!

I'm just STUNNED. This might all be find for APP oriented people, but for intensive internet people - wow :eek:

20. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

After some playing around I figured out I could move the mouse pointer over the Safari windows (in Mission Control), then push the scroll wheel on my mouse up to see more of the windows (similar to what I think some people are calling "app expose").

Tapping the spacebar just zooms in on one window.

21. klaxamazoo macrumors 6502

How the hell did Mission Control's App Expose get approved? Just look at this example with some safari windows as a quick example. There are 6 windows and you can only see 3. And this is after the windows were "expanded."

Whomever programmed this disaster needs to get their head out of their ass.

Attached Files:

22. Drunken Master macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

I miss Spaces so much...I think I might get loaded, yell at the walls and then cry myself to sleep tonight.

They've regressed, as one poster above notes, to the days when at times I had to deal with all the floating windows and click between that one tiny sliver of exposed window to the other barely-visible sliver of window.

For shame.

23. skadd macrumors regular

Can anyone tell me what happens when you hit the F10 key?
    Is it like exposé in snow leopard?

Attached Files:

24. Drunken Master macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

25. WSR macrumors regular

I hope Spaces and Expose as they are in Snow Leopard will return. I'm not planning on changing to Lion until they return.