Will the 2012 MBP refresh be a complete redesign?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dnkbro, Feb 27, 2011.

?

Will 2012 bring a complete redesign to the MBP line?

1. Yes

62 vote(s)
    37.3%
  2. No

36 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. I like pancakes

68 vote(s)
    41.0%
  1. dnkbro macrumors regular

With all the rumors that were floating around before this current refresh, many of us thought there would be major changes. After two "spec bump" refreshes from 2010 and 2011, do you think the 2012 MBP will be a complete redesign? Why or why not?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

I hope so, these spec upgrades aren't all that exciting.

4. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

The 2010 & 2011 MBP's do look nice though. (I would have hated it if they re-designed them and they didn't look as good.)

5. articcine macrumors regular

Speculations already I see.
    Why even bother, the speculations about MBP 2011 during summer 2010 were mostly wrong.

6. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

Same. That's more than half of my reasoning for buying it. Aesthetics are really important and I think they've done the best possible job so far at making it as aesthetically pleasing as possible.

7. Mik3F macrumors 6502

certainly hope it will be a complete redesign as I plan on upgrading

8. ender land macrumors 6502a

man, an update comes out and within a week people are already wondering about the next one?

9. ozred macrumors 6502

I enjoying my pancakes till the 2012 arrives on my doorstep :)

10. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

They live their life very slowly...

11. Evil Spoonman macrumors 6502

Who knows. Not me, not you. Very few people know, and the ones who do aren't going to say. Kind of a futile topic, don't you think?

12. hoxley macrumors regular

Well, if they are I will certainly be going into a store and DEMANDING my powerbook be upgraded to the new model for free.

13. ozred macrumors 6502

It's simple really and summed up in one word: MacRumors :)

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think Apple can push the current design for a few more years if they wanted to.

Hopefully the next update is done before Jonathan ives leaves apple lol

15. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

i hope they do. can't wait to see it too. by the time i'll be needing a new notebook i'll be looking forward to a good next gen model

16. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Probably be a right minger if the rumour about Jonny Ive leaving is true.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

18. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Why does everyone keep saying 2012? Historically, Macbooks have been refreshed, on average, every 10 months. Thus, the next refresh would occur at the end of this year, December '11, in time for the holidays, perhaps. Although, for some strange reason, Apple has liked to wait for the doldrums of January to debut or announce things.

I know there's a growing contingent on this forum, that want Apple do nothing other than abandon the optical drive and put that space to good use. Their points are tenable. However, I'd be very, very, very surprised if Apple cast aside the optical drive for this next refresh. To the less computer savvy, its absence would be a big deal breaker. "How am I gonna install software?" "How am I gonna burn a CD?" So expect the optical drive to be with us for a while.

The likely updates for late 2011 (or early 2012) are an increase in screen resolution, especially in the 13" model, and Ivy Bridge processors.

19. tjb1 macrumors 68000

What is wrong with the current design? Seriously...the new ones just came out and your not happy. Hell I bet you still wouldnt be happy if Apple made them out of solid gold and made the cheaper.

20. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

I have absolutely no idea. And as many others also don't know, I expect that most will like the pancakes in this poll...

21. AppleGoat, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I can't think of another notebook on the market that rivals this design. And I fear the next Macbook design will borrow styling cues from the iPad. May not sound too bad to some here, but the prospect of that makes me want to gag.

22. amarcus macrumors 6502

I'm betting on a redesign but still with unibody construction. Maybe with the hinge or something intricate being made out of liquid metal (but not the entire thing). In short: the ODD has to go and the best way to make use of that new space will be by doing a redesign.

Adam

23. polkunus macrumors member

I'm sorry what? You buy a mac for its looks? Isn't the MAIN purpose of buying a computer is to get whats stronger, faster and better than the last one? I mean, I understand design and looks mean one thing, but its not as important as specs.

24. articcine macrumors regular

And yeah, liquid metal would be nice, but considering how appealing their current design is, and how much customers love it, I reckon they'll stick to it for quite some time yet.

25. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue