Will the iPod touch 6th generation revitalize sales?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Andres Cantu, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Do you guys feel optimistic that the iPod touch 6th generation will sell in better numbers than the 5th generation, seeing as how it is the closest it's been to the current iPhone since the 3rd generation (in terms of A-chips and RAM) and how there is a price-point and storage capacity for everyone?

2. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

I think it'll definitely sell better than it has been THATS for sure. It's been 3 years since the last update, and the iPT innards were getting alittle long in the tooth. Sure, the iPhone has replaced the iPod for the most part to the masses, but Consumers aren't stupid. Those still interested in the iPT knew that the 5G was old tech. So that had an affect on sales also.

But with this update, the iPT6 got a lot of what's inside the iPhone 6. It may look the same, but it's insides got a major upgrade. So yeah, I think it'll sell really well. I'm buying one.

I still think the iPod touch has a future. I think it can morph into a sort of iPad nano with a kick ass camera. But what do I know. Apple may not update it for another 3 years and then let it die like the classic. Something tells me they won't tho.

For now tho, I am happy. Gonna order one of the 128g gold or blue ones. It'll be my main travel camera. I'm happy. :)

3. Andres Cantu thread starter macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

That's great to hear! I hope your opinion is the general consensus!

4. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

I dont think so. Its like a long await sequel to a movie that people eventually forgot and don't really care anymore. The screen is still 4" and the biggest capacity cost more than Ipad mini 2. Unless you are a music addict and can't find 2nd hand ipod classic anymore then thats your choice. Ipad mini 2 is easy to hold in one hand, very portable and only a generation down in term of internal (A7)

5. Andres Cantu thread starter macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Although that is a good analogy, I don't think you can find an iPad Mini 2 with 128GB of storage for $399. Even if you could, it still doesn't have all the perks such as the A8 chip, 8MP rear-facing camera, f/2.2 front-facing camera, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, etc. I think they are different products that satisfy different needs. For example, you can't put an iPad Mini in your pocket, which makes the iPod touch more desirable for kids who want a pocketable device.

6. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Yep, it will sell very well. This will most likely be the last update though.

7. topmounter, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015

topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I've never understood why Apple doesn't streamline the iPod Touch, iPad Mini and iPad products into a small, medium and large iPad line-up.

The Mini and full-size iPad are great, but they are no where near pocketable for those times when you'd rather not lug around your high$ smart phone just to listen to music (yeah I know, most people can't get more than a few feet away from their phone without suffering a panic attack).

8. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I might agree with you but the iPad mini isn't portable at all. The 4" Touch fits very easily in a pocket.

9. Andres Cantu thread starter macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Although it might sound like a good idea, I think the reason for it is that the iPads still have important differences from the iPhone and iPod touch. For example, multi-touch gestures, the 4:3 aspect ratio, etc.

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

The iPad is its own thing. While there's some apps that are made for iPhone/iPod Touch, there's also a lot that are made for the iPad and only work well for the iPad. It's not just about the screen size. Like using Numbers and iMovie are different experiences on either one device. On the iPad, there's more room to have "desktop-like" interaction.

I think it will do well, but I doubt it'll do very much for Apple Music, which I'm sure they'd like for it to do.

11. ZircoBen macrumors member

ZircoBen

I like a device that fits in my pocket, that I can bring on my run, that I can easily bring into the bathroom while I'm stuck on the toilet, etc. That's why I don't own an iPad.

I currently have an iPhone 5S that I'm using without a SIM that I got for $185, which I thought was a far better deal than the iPod touch 5th gen a few months back, but i'm getting the Touch because of the low price and the gorgeous hardware.

12. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

iPad Mini 2? I have one of those that I purchased the day it was released. I have tried to use it in place of an iPod Touch for music and while the iPad Mini is small, it darn sure isn't as small as the iPod Touch. It won't fit in your pocket or the console in your car. You also can't get one with 128gb for the same price with the same specs.

I think the iPod Touch has a future if Apple chooses to market it and/or have retailers market it. There is no doubt this is a nice upgrade. I am trucking with an iPod 4th Gen that barely has any battery life anymore and is slow as heck. I have been waiting on this update. Glad now I didn't get a 5th Gen. My Blue 64GB is already on it way for a delivery tomorrow before 10:30 AM.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think it will give some improvement in sales, the main thing that will influence it is how much apple decides to market the new touch. How many people outside of this site actually realize that it was updated?

14. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

As a general purpose iOS device then it is the iPod Touch vs a old/second hand iPhone debate.

In terms of music (for people who own their collection rather than stream), In the UK the classic was £199 for 160GB storage, this new Touch is £329 for 128GB. Safe to say it will be a niche of people who buy these just for music, no value there and might aswell get a 128GB iPhone. On a side note I wish I could find a warehouse filled with iPod Classics!!

The 'old' Apple wanted to upsell, 'oh you have an iPod, what about a Mac', then it was 'oh you have an iPhone (1,2,3,4,5), what about a Mac'. Now it is about services, 'Oh you have an iPhone with only 16GB storage, an iPad with 32GB storage and a Mac, what about Upgrading to a paid iCloud, an Apple Music Subscription or use Apple Pay'.

15. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Good point, i was gonna say the same. Most famous website in my country went crazy asking about Ipod touch 5 when it was first came out. With the bigger screen and better camera. It was even out of stock here unless you buy direct from apple online store.
    With the release of Ipod touch 6, I only saw 2 threads since. Nobody really care anymore because Iphone 6 is 4.7 and 5.5 inch. They all used to bigger better screen. A lot of people still have the 5s but it became really cheap with 1 year contract and monthly is not that expensive. So, why get the Ipod now is the question.

16. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

For what you get the new touch should be $100 off across the board then not a bad deal
    16gb -$99
    32gb -$149
    64gb -$199
    128gb -$299

Those prices for a 4" screen and No touch ID are worth it

17. Walrus Man macrumors newbie

No. Because despite the improved internals (which might excite the hard-core on here) it doesn't look any different, no one will even know it has been updated.
    If they'd gone with the iPhone 6 body (4.7" or 5.5") it would have looked like a cutting edge device and would have generated a lot more interest with the buying public.

18. zOne31 macrumors regular

No way a 16 GB would be <$100. That's too dirt cheap for Apple. I could see like a $50 discount if they really wanted them to sell like hotcakes.

While it was nice that Apple updated the iPod Touch, I think I'm most disappointed about the price and lack of touch ID. Honestly, I don't see why they couldn't offer touch ID. Everyone of their other iOS counterpart does.

19. malih macrumors member

malih

Not sure.
    I would be more optimistic if the base model is the 32GB instead with 16GB pricing.

I think space should be a priority in an iPod.

20. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

For those that are complaining about the price, wait until Black Friday rolls around. They'll go on sale for $50 or so off the retail prices around that time just as they do every year. I can recall Best Buy, Walmart and Target all having BF deals on them over the last few years.

21. newellj macrumors 601

Sadly, and as a pure guess, but a guess based on sales trends for the prior generation (which admittedly had stale hardware), I don't think there will be a dramatic uptick in sales of these. I think the Touch Gen 5 was held back by overall market trends more than by its dated hardware. I would love to be wrong...

22. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Comparing iPads to iPods is like comparing apples to oranges. They are both "portable" iOS devices, as apples and oranges are both fruits, but the iPad and iPod differ completely. One is meant for a more pleasurable portable browsing experience on a larger screen almost as a laptop replacement and the other is meant for living in your pockets or strapped to your shoulder and being a truly handheld device.

I don't have much insight for the future of the Touch beyond yesterday's release, but I am just glad in the moment. It's great to have these available in 2015 as most of the world moves to having a smartphone as their all purposes device.

23. iKoopa macrumors member

iKoopa

To a normal non-techied customer who just buys things on impulse, I doubt it will revitalize sales too much. Since it received no major revision to its outer shell, it "looks" just like the the 5th Gen with new colors. There was no keynote, no public announcement. Nothing.

The internals won't matter to them since they probably won't know about it.

24. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

I hear it costs $230-something to make an iphone, but they sell it for $650. Also heard a lot of phone sellers have been more aggressively pushing folks to buy Android since they make much less $$ per Iph sold vs. a typical Android device.

I would've been willing to pay the price of a 64GB one for a 32GB model if it had a 4.7" screen or larger. Heck, I paid $300 for a 32 GB IpT3 and IpT4 around when they came out, so no relative change there. Instead of the IpT6 being an insta-buy, I'll continue with my current IpT5, and reconsider what my options for a new iOS device are when the battery can no longer hold a charge, or if I even want to continue with iOS.

Well, FWIW, $300 used to get you 32 GB (now 64), and $400 used to get you 64 GB (now 128). Does it matter if each tier is still a better value?

What were those market trends? More folks were getting competitively priced Androids to do similar stuff? Iphones being handed down, so less need to delve into the IpT line?

25. malih macrumors member

malih

iPod touch 5G had 16GB as base model, I believe that should be improved upon if they want to revitalize sales (the main question of this thread).

Of course it all may also depend on how good they will market it, will there be tv ads etc.