Will the new macbook pros have usb 3.0?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by newConvert, Feb 12, 2010.

?

Will the new macbook pros have USB 3.0?

1. Yes!

55 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. Hell, no!

174 vote(s)
    76.0%
  1. newConvert macrumors regular

To be honest, this is the only feature that I really want in the upgrades. I feel like if it doesn't have it, it would feel outdated fairly quickly. I've had my 13" white macbook for 3 or 4 years now. I can imagine usb 2.0 in 4 years would seem so sloooooooow.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. iammikeDOTorg macrumors newbie

4. cube macrumors G5

If they want to take them to the next level, they MUST.

5. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Likely not, but that's not the reason he said he wants it though is it?

6. acurafan macrumors 6502a

they can keep the rest of the specs same, i just want usb 3.0 and blue-ray player. manufacturers are already coming out with affordable 3-d BR players, and usb 3.0 hdds.

apple, get with the friggin program already...!!

7. newConvert thread starter macrumors regular

Nope. But I imagine in 2 years i will. I tend to keep my computers for about 4 years, so this would really hit the spot. But, apple is never an early adopter on tech like this it seems.

8. cube macrumors G5

USB succeeded thanks to Apple.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No USB 3.0
    No Blu-Ray either

Apple does not need to "get with the program"
    Those are your expectations, not their direction

USB 3.0 will come eventually, when there are devices to warrant it
    Blu-Ray may never be an option, and frankly, I don't lose any sleep over it

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

10. newConvert thread starter macrumors regular

did it? I haven't had macs for that long. If thats the case, then perhaps there is a very slight chance?

11. John Kotches macrumors 6502

Personally, I don't think we'll see USB3.0 on any laptops until 3 or 4q 2010.

Is anyone shipping chipsets for desktops that are integrated on the MB? So far, all I've seen are add-on cards.

12. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Yes, there a chance. Feel better?
    No, there is no chance. Feel worse?

It doesn't matter and speculation shouldn't inform a decision to buy a yet unreleased product. When Apple updates its machines, evaluate what you want to buy and then make a decision.

13. cube macrumors G5

Yes, there are many motherboards with USB 3.0 and SATA 6 Gbps.

There are also quite a few USB 3.0 devices like external disks.

And there are also laptops with USB 3.0.

14. John Kotches macrumors 6502

Which laptops are shipping wuth USB 3?

15. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

USB 3.0 might be good when there are more devices that use it, but right now I am still happy with FireWire. I am amazed at how many people carry on about Blue Ray. I have friends with BR players and quite frankly, I am unimpressed. If Apple thought BR was the end all, be all some people seem to think, they would have installed BR devices in Macs by now. The BR technology has not been as quick to penetrate the market as DVDs because the improvement over DVDs is not nearly the quantum leap that DVDs were. :cool:

16. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

It's backward compatible right? So there's no reason it should be left out on their premium laptops, right?

17. cube macrumors G5

I've seen at least HP, Dell and ASUS.

18. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

USB 2.0 seems slooooooooow now! :)

19. newConvert thread starter macrumors regular

Stupid Post. Since my upgrade criteria is that is has USB, having a general idea when it might come out helps plan the finances. :rolleyes:

20. cube macrumors G5

Why not wait until it also has SATA 6 Gbps? There's at least one new SSD being released that is faster than SATA 3 Gbps (for
    reading).

21. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

As long we have Intel MOtherboards in our MacBooks we wont see USB 3.0 before 2nd Quarter 2011 Intel stated (a long time ago). I can live with that decision.

22. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It always amazes me how some Apple enthusiasts are completely unaware of the features already available on non-Apple laptops. It's as if they are in a bubble. The first PC laptops with USB 3.0 have already shipped and they have intel motherboards.

It's also funny to see that prior to a feature being released by Apple--its regarded by the enthusiasts as "unnecessary" or "buggy" but as soon as Apple decides to catch up and include it the same feature is "groundbreaking" and "changes the game".

23. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I do hope that Apple includes a USB 3.0 host either now or in the future. While I have no immediate plans for purchase, I do need to purchase some enclosures soon, and am waiting for the fastest available bus to avail itself, be it FW1600/3200, USB 3.0, intergrated eSATA. Or maybe the best of both worlds, eSATA/USB 3.0 slot.

Oh, and I believe the thinkpad W510 and some other thinkpad models have USB 3.0, so there ARE laptops out there utilizing it.

24. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Glad somebody mentioned this.

when Intel says they're going to add support for something, it means that they're going to put it on the southbridge (i.e., ICH10R, ICH10, ICH9, etc). The reason we have USB 3.0 so far is via third party controllers that attach to the southbridge (probably via PCIe).

And Apple probably doesn't want the additional cost of the third-party controller.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, when apple came out with the original bondi-blue iMac it sported the usb ports as opposed their old ADB ports used for the keyboard and them mouse.

Apple since then has stayed away from leading the pack with technology and for that reason and the technical reason of intel not having a usb 3.0 based motherboard. I'd not see any apple products with usb 3.0