Votes: 55 24.0%
  • Hell, no!

Votes: 174 76.0%

• Total voters

newConvert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
To be honest, this is the only feature that I really want in the upgrades. I feel like if it doesn't have it, it would feel outdated fairly quickly. I've had my 13" white macbook for 3 or 4 years now. I can imagine usb 2.0 in 4 years would seem so sloooooooow.

acurafan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
they can keep the rest of the specs same, i just want usb 3.0 and blue-ray player. manufacturers are already coming out with affordable 3-d BR players, and usb 3.0 hdds.

apple, get with the friggin program already...!!

newConvert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Doubtful. Do you have many USB 3.0 devices?
Nope. But I imagine in 2 years i will. I tend to keep my computers for about 4 years, so this would really hit the spot. But, apple is never an early adopter on tech like this it seems.

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
they can keep the rest of the specs same, i just want usb 3.0 and blue-ray player. manufacturers are already coming out with affordable 3-d BR players, and usb 3.0 hdds.

apple, get with the friggin program already...!!
No USB 3.0
No Blu-Ray either

Apple does not need to "get with the program"
Those are your expectations, not their direction

USB 3.0 will come eventually, when there are devices to warrant it
Blu-Ray may never be an option, and frankly, I don't lose any sleep over it

Woof, Woof - Dawg

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Yes, there a chance. Feel better?
No, there is no chance. Feel worse?

It doesn't matter and speculation shouldn't inform a decision to buy a yet unreleased product. When Apple updates its machines, evaluate what you want to buy and then make a decision.

cube

macrumors P6
May 10, 2004
Is anyone shipping chipsets for desktops that are integrated on the MB? So far, all I've seen are add-on cards.
Yes, there are many motherboards with USB 3.0 and SATA 6 Gbps.

There are also quite a few USB 3.0 devices like external disks.

And there are also laptops with USB 3.0.

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL
USB 3.0 might be good when there are more devices that use it, but right now I am still happy with FireWire. I am amazed at how many people carry on about Blue Ray. I have friends with BR players and quite frankly, I am unimpressed. If Apple thought BR was the end all, be all some people seem to think, they would have installed BR devices in Macs by now. The BR technology has not been as quick to penetrate the market as DVDs because the improvement over DVDs is not nearly the quantum leap that DVDs were. :cool:

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
It's backward compatible right? So there's no reason it should be left out on their premium laptops, right?

6-0 Prolene

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
To be honest, this is the only feature that I really want in the upgrades. I feel like if it doesn't have it, it would feel outdated fairly quickly. I've had my 13" white macbook for 3 or 4 years now. I can imagine usb 2.0 in 4 years would seem so sloooooooow.
USB 2.0 seems slooooooooow now! :)

newConvert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Yes, there a chance. Feel better?
No, there is no chance. Feel worse?

It doesn't matter and speculation shouldn't inform a decision to buy a yet unreleased product. When Apple updates its machines, evaluate what you want to buy and then make a decision.

Stupid Post. Since my upgrade criteria is that is has USB, having a general idea when it might come out helps plan the finances. :rolleyes:

cube

macrumors P6
May 10, 2004
Why not wait until it also has SATA 6 Gbps? There's at least one new SSD being released that is faster than SATA 3 Gbps (for
reading).

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
It's backward compatible right? So there's no reason it should be left out on their premium laptops, right?
As long we have Intel MOtherboards in our MacBooks we wont see USB 3.0 before 2nd Quarter 2011 Intel stated (a long time ago). I can live with that decision.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
It always amazes me how some Apple enthusiasts are completely unaware of the features already available on non-Apple laptops. It's as if they are in a bubble. The first PC laptops with USB 3.0 have already shipped and they have intel motherboards.

It's also funny to see that prior to a feature being released by Apple--its regarded by the enthusiasts as "unnecessary" or "buggy" but as soon as Apple decides to catch up and include it the same feature is "groundbreaking" and "changes the game".

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
I do hope that Apple includes a USB 3.0 host either now or in the future. While I have no immediate plans for purchase, I do need to purchase some enclosures soon, and am waiting for the fastest available bus to avail itself, be it FW1600/3200, USB 3.0, intergrated eSATA. Or maybe the best of both worlds, eSATA/USB 3.0 slot.

Oh, and I believe the thinkpad W510 and some other thinkpad models have USB 3.0, so there ARE laptops out there utilizing it.

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
As long we have Intel MOtherboards in our MacBooks we wont see USB 3.0 before 2nd Quarter 2011 Intel stated (a long time ago). I can live with that decision.
Glad somebody mentioned this.

It always amazes me how some Apple enthusiasts are completely unaware of the features already available on non-Apple laptops. It's as if they are in a bubble. The first PC laptops with USB 3.0 have already shipped and they have intel motherboards.
when Intel says they're going to add support for something, it means that they're going to put it on the southbridge (i.e., ICH10R, ICH10, ICH9, etc). The reason we have USB 3.0 so far is via third party controllers that attach to the southbridge (probably via PCIe).

And Apple probably doesn't want the additional cost of the third-party controller.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
did it? I haven't had macs for that long. If thats the case, then perhaps there is a very slight chance?
Yes, when apple came out with the original bondi-blue iMac it sported the usb ports as opposed their old ADB ports used for the keyboard and them mouse.

Apple since then has stayed away from leading the pack with technology and for that reason and the technical reason of intel not having a usb 3.0 based motherboard. I'd not see any apple products with usb 3.0