Will the rMBP be released during WWDC?

Do you think Apple will refresh the rMBP at WWDC?

  • Yes (both the 13" and 15" models)

    Votes: 69 59.5%
  • Yes (13" only)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Yes (15" only)

    Votes: 6 5.2%
  • No

    Votes: 32 27.6%

  • Total voters
    116
  • Poll closed .

skaertus

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
3,328
449
Brazil
And here we go (you had it coming): do you think Apple will refresh the rMBP next week, during WWDC?
 

devilcm3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2011
642
7
South Melbourne, Australia
i posted a screenshot about the shipping times of the macbook retina for the apple store both CTO and non-CTO.
they all slipped to at least 1 week after WWDC, so yeah i'm very confident.
 

maflynn

Moderator
Staff member
May 3, 2009
65,057
30,988
Boston
I'm going to say 15" only, just because (if memory serves me) they've done that in the past.
 

skaertus

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
3,328
449
Brazil
i posted a screenshot about the shipping times of the macbook retina for the apple store both CTO and non-CTO.
they all slipped to at least 1 week after WWDC, so yeah i'm very confident.
I was confident as well, but the latest news from 9to5Mac discouraged me...

----------

I'm going to say 15" only, just because (if memory serves me) they've done that in the past.
Yes, they have, but it's no indication that they'll do that again. My concern is about the availability of Haswell processors which will be used in each particular model.
 

maflynn

Moderator
Staff member
May 3, 2009
65,057
30,988
Boston
Yes, they have, but it's no indication that they'll do that again. My concern is about the availability of Haswell processors which will be used in each particular model.
Agreed, I'm going out on a limb on this one :)
 

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
1,187
126
To all the people waiting for the rMBP on the 10th.

Let's say the 13" or 15" rMBP's aren't available after WWDC. Either they're not announced at all, or they are but won't ship for a couple of months, maybe even Q3.

What's your next move?
 

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
1,949
2
To all the people waiting for the rMBP on the 10th.

Let's say the 13" or 15" rMBP's aren't available after WWDC. Either they're not announced at all, or they are but won't ship for a couple of months, maybe even Q3.

What's your next move?
I need it for school, so I will wait until August, and I am 99% sure it will be out by then.
 

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
632
1
Either they're not announced at all, or they are but won't ship for a couple of months, maybe even Q3.
As much as that sounds way better than nothing to me, Apple won't risk that and have the buyers pause and wait for a couple of months instead of buying what's currently available. And the Apple stock owners would throw a fit.
 

iPoopeh

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
242
5
Well I need a notebook for College, and made the rMBP 15'' my notebook of choice. So I would say yes. I'd at least be happy to hear an announcement and then it being released at the end of June. But any longer than I may have to jump on an older model. =/
 

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
1,187
126
There's no such thing as a rMBP!

Hundreds of posts call it a rMBP, makes me laugh that no one pays attention.

By the way did you know that Apple makes it :)

The model name is MacBook Pro with Retina display, abbreviated as:MBPr


Proof?

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/
Well if we shall use your logic and abbreviate the actual model name. Let's just start calling it the MBPwRD.
 

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
791
53
Seeing as that just about every PC manufacturer is releasing new Haswell notebooks (and other PC manufacturers are now starting to match or beat Apple in the resolution wars) I'd be surprised if Apple didn't refresh both their 13 and 15 inch rMBPs. My feeling is that the 13 in rMBP will get both a chassis redesign and a Haswell refresh, and the 15 in rMBP will keep it's "old" design but the innards will get a Haswell refresh.

It'll be interesting to see if the new rMBPs will get any type of resolution bump as well.
 

smakdown61

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
100
0
The issue isn't the supply of haswell processors, its the possible delay of retina screen manufacturing.
 

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
2,385
1
Southern California
The issue isn't the supply of haswell processors, its the possible delay of retina screen manufacturing.
If it's not one thing it's another, they'll bring them to market eventually. Apple is typically behind the curve anyway. I don't mean that in a negative way, it's simply what it is. Often the processors are built for Windows computers first, due to massive market share, then Apple receives theirs.

Apple doesn't have to be the first mover, they already have all the cash anyway.
 

skaertus

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
3,328
449
Brazil
To all the people waiting for the rMBP on the 10th.

Let's say the 13" or 15" rMBP's aren't available after WWDC. Either they're not announced at all, or they are but won't ship for a couple of months, maybe even Q3.

What's your next move?
You may choose to buy it right away or wait a few months until the rMBP is released. I guess the second option is the better one. As for me, I'm in a different situation, as I live in Brazil, and I have two possible moves if the rMBP is not readily available after WWDC: (i) buy the current rMBP, paying anything from US$ 1,499 to US$ 2,799, as I'll be in NY in the two weeks following the event; or (ii) buy the Haswell rMBP when it's released, paying anything from US$ 3,000 to US$ 6,500, which is the price range that Apple charges for these models here in Brazil.
 

skaertus

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
3,328
449
Brazil
The issue isn't the supply of haswell processors, its the possible delay of retina screen manufacturing.
Why? There have been some rumors on this from KGI Securities, but they have taken it back. I don't think there should be any delay in retina displays manufacturing, as rMBPs are currently being delivered timely. However, Intel has not yet released all Haswell processors, and this may delay the launch of the new rMBP.
 

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
3,744
195
Burpelson AFB
Why? There have been some rumors on this from KGI Securities, but they have taken it back. I don't think there should be any delay in retina displays manufacturing, as rMBPs are currently being delivered timely. However, Intel has not yet released all Haswell processors, and this may delay the launch of the new rMBP.
I heard there was a rumor of IGZO displays coming to rMBPs. This is getting confusing :confused: I guess in only four days we'll know but there is so much contradictory information (misinformation?) out there.
 

skaertus

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
3,328
449
Brazil
I heard there was a rumor of IGZO displays coming to rMBPs. This is getting confusing :confused: I guess in only four days we'll know but there is so much contradictory information (misinformation?) out there.
There were no reliable rumors on that. IGZO displays are not coming to the rMBP this time. Perhaps later, but not in the next revision. Not even the iPhone has an IGZO display yet!
 

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
1,949
2
I heard there was a rumor of IGZO displays coming to rMBPs. This is getting confusing :confused: I guess in only four days we'll know but there is so much contradictory information (misinformation?) out there.
IGZO is a new technology with only one main producer now (Sharp). I would be very surprised if Apple used them this year due to the engineering requirements and production costs for a new display, especially after last year.
 

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
1,187
126
You may choose to buy it right away or wait a few months until the rMBP is released. I guess the second option is the better one. As for me, I'm in a different situation, as I live in Brazil, and I have two possible moves if the rMBP is not readily available after WWDC: (i) buy the current rMBP, paying anything from US$ 1,499 to US$ 2,799, as I'll be in NY in the two weeks following the event; or (ii) buy the Haswell rMBP when it's released, paying anything from US$ 3,000 to US$ 6,500, which is the price range that Apple charges for these models here in Brazil.
Honestly in your shoes, I would just purchase the best machine available for your needs while you are in America. It is just not worth it to pay $3K+ if the new models are out after you return to Brazil.

If new models aren't out while you are here and you still want to wait. Purchase me a plane ticket and I'll hand deliver your rMBP from America haha.