Will the rMBP be released during WWDC?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skaertus, Jun 6, 2013.

?

Do you think Apple will refresh the rMBP at WWDC?

Poll closed Jun 10, 2013.
  1. Yes (both the 13" and 15" models)

69 vote(s)
    59.5%
  2. Yes (13" only)

9 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. Yes (15" only)

6 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. No

32 vote(s)
    27.6%
  1. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

And here we go (you had it coming): do you think Apple will refresh the rMBP next week, during WWDC?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

With the release of the new Intel processors I would say yes.

3. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

i posted a screenshot about the shipping times of the macbook retina for the apple store both CTO and non-CTO.
    they all slipped to at least 1 week after WWDC, so yeah i'm very confident.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm going to say 15" only, just because (if memory serves me) they've done that in the past.

5. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

I was confident as well, but the latest news from 9to5Mac discouraged me...

----------

Yes, they have, but it's no indication that they'll do that again. My concern is about the availability of Haswell processors which will be used in each particular model.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, I'm going out on a limb on this one :)

7. 03sho macrumors 6502a

8. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

If it there are no news about it doesn't mean it won't be released on time :rolleyes:

Personally, i'd rather bet on the low stocks that showing up on many Amazon stores ( except the US ) .. they reflect more about the refresh itself. :)

9. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Released or available? Big difference these days at Apple.

10. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

To all the people waiting for the rMBP on the 10th.

Let's say the 13" or 15" rMBP's aren't available after WWDC. Either they're not announced at all, or they are but won't ship for a couple of months, maybe even Q3.

What's your next move?

11. B... macrumors 68000

B...

I need it for school, so I will wait until August, and I am 99% sure it will be out by then.

12. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

As much as that sounds way better than nothing to me, Apple won't risk that and have the buyers pause and wait for a couple of months instead of buying what's currently available. And the Apple stock owners would throw a fit.

13. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

i'm kinda guessing that people who voted no must have expected a retina MBA? :rolleyes:

14. maxosx macrumors 68020

There's no such thing as a rMBP!

Hundreds of posts call it a rMBP, makes me laugh that no one pays attention.

By the way did you know that Apple makes it :)

The model name is MacBook Pro with Retina display, abbreviated as:MBPr

Proof?

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/

15. iPoopeh macrumors regular

iPoopeh

Well I need a notebook for College, and made the rMBP 15'' my notebook of choice. So I would say yes. I'd at least be happy to hear an announcement and then it being released at the end of June. But any longer than I may have to jump on an older model. =/

16. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Well if we shall use your logic and abbreviate the actual model name. Let's just start calling it the MBPwRD.

17. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Seeing as that just about every PC manufacturer is releasing new Haswell notebooks (and other PC manufacturers are now starting to match or beat Apple in the resolution wars) I'd be surprised if Apple didn't refresh both their 13 and 15 inch rMBPs. My feeling is that the 13 in rMBP will get both a chassis redesign and a Haswell refresh, and the 15 in rMBP will keep it's "old" design but the innards will get a Haswell refresh.

It'll be interesting to see if the new rMBPs will get any type of resolution bump as well.

18. smakdown61 macrumors regular

The issue isn't the supply of haswell processors, its the possible delay of retina screen manufacturing.

19. maxosx macrumors 68020

If it's not one thing it's another, they'll bring them to market eventually. Apple is typically behind the curve anyway. I don't mean that in a negative way, it's simply what it is. Often the processors are built for Windows computers first, due to massive market share, then Apple receives theirs.

Apple doesn't have to be the first mover, they already have all the cash anyway.

20. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

You may choose to buy it right away or wait a few months until the rMBP is released. I guess the second option is the better one. As for me, I'm in a different situation, as I live in Brazil, and I have two possible moves if the rMBP is not readily available after WWDC: (i) buy the current rMBP, paying anything from US$ 1,499 to US$ 2,799, as I'll be in NY in the two weeks following the event; or (ii) buy the Haswell rMBP when it's released, paying anything from US$ 3,000 to US$ 6,500, which is the price range that Apple charges for these models here in Brazil.

21. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

Why? There have been some rumors on this from KGI Securities, but they have taken it back. I don't think there should be any delay in retina displays manufacturing, as rMBPs are currently being delivered timely. However, Intel has not yet released all Haswell processors, and this may delay the launch of the new rMBP.

22. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I heard there was a rumor of IGZO displays coming to rMBPs. This is getting confusing :confused: I guess in only four days we'll know but there is so much contradictory information (misinformation?) out there.

23. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

There were no reliable rumors on that. IGZO displays are not coming to the rMBP this time. Perhaps later, but not in the next revision. Not even the iPhone has an IGZO display yet!

24. B... macrumors 68000

B...

IGZO is a new technology with only one main producer now (Sharp). I would be very surprised if Apple used them this year due to the engineering requirements and production costs for a new display, especially after last year.

25. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Honestly in your shoes, I would just purchase the best machine available for your needs while you are in America. It is just not worth it to pay $3K+ if the new models are out after you return to Brazil.

If new models aren't out while you are here and you still want to wait. Purchase me a plane ticket and I'll hand deliver your rMBP from America haha.