Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superstrikertwo

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2008
California
I don't see a point in BBM really. We have SMS and Email. There's an app that uses bluetooth to connect phones and send messages but you need to be in the same area to use it. CBA to find a link though.

virtuousxlife

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2009
I would love a bbm application.. considering I switched from a blackberry to an IPhone recently and had several contacts I kept in touch regularly on bbm. Now, I gotta settle for AIM. :(

CanadianMac2008

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2009
I hate to be the one to say this but guys, old old topic. Do a search, it's Bren discussed multiple multiple times, especially recently, usually as iChat or BB Messenger. Each time people bring it up, there's an argument about how nobody needs it by people who have never used it. The truth is, loads of people like it. Almost everybody I know who had a BB uses it heavily. It is not the same as SMS or email or IM. Again, check out the other threads. All the arguments have been listed there.

mark.mathew8877

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2009
BBM is something different from all other chating equipments.It's working principle is also good.In i phone i still can't find a good application that can compete BBM.Hearing about i chat but not so confident on that.Anyway best of luck for i phone.

Prospekt

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
It's not stupid, I could send text, music, ringtones, pictures, files, and more and not worry about writing more than 160 characters. I can't do that with my iPhone.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I hate to be the one to say this but guys, old old topic. Do a search, it's Bren discussed multiple multiple times, especially recently, usually as iChat or BB Messenger. Each time people bring it up, there's an argument about how nobody needs it by people who have never used it. The truth is, loads of people like it. Almost everybody I know who had a BB uses it heavily. It is not the same as SMS or email or IM. Again, check out the other threads. All the arguments have been listed there.

I like how you simultaneously dismiss the topic as overly repetitive and give your viewpoint.

But since you've started it, please do tell - what exactly does BBM do that cannot be accomplished with one or more of SMS/email/IM?

Well, I guess you can feel special because you have a proprietary messaging client that only people with the "right" kind of phone can use... that makes it kinda different.

Never even used BBM on my BlackBerry... :eek: :eek:

Same. Completely and totally redundant app given the communication options already available on the iphone.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
It's not stupid, I could send text, music, ringtones, pictures, files, and more and not worry about writing more than 160 characters. I can't do that with my iPhone.
Well, you can send text, pictures, your location, and voice recordings via IM apps, and at least one app, in a future upgrade, will supposedly have sending of (camera-recorded) videos. There aren't any silly 160 char limitations there.

No, you can't send music, ringtones, or files. It's a good bet that Apple won't allow the sending of ringtones or music.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Bringing an old thread up......

Also the same people asking the same questions on why people like BBM while it has been answered over and over.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I hope Apple implements one. The problem now is that not everyone has the same IM apps on their iPhone. An app implemented by Apple would be great.

Free messaging and exclusivity for iPhone users. There is an argument for SMS usage/E-mail, but SMS costs money and e-mail is checked only every couple of minutes (not real time).

I mean, this app would have Apple's iChat interface and be in real time. I don't see why people say "I hope there isn't one" - how will this ruin your iPhone if Apple implements a "BBM" app for the iPhone?

Prospekt

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
Useless? It serves more of a purpose than the pitiful stocks app and the weather app that is rarely accurate. I would love a BBM-like-iChat app and I'm sure if Apple ever released an iChat equivalent it would be one of the more useful apps on my phone. Maybe not for everyone.

Problem could be solved by allowing the hiding of apps. Then release a BBM-like app and those who don't use it can hide it.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I think it would be useless.
Why limit yourself to iphone users only when you can text/instant message/email/MMS/ with anyone on any network and any device?
Just to feel cool or exclusive?

Well it would cost $ for Apple to develop and maintain this, so it makes sense for it to be iPhone only. Why would Apple push IMs for other cellphones?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.