Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If the iPhone 8 is over USD$1000 will you upgrade/but it?

• Yes

Votes: 57 38.8%
  • No

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 41 27.9%

• Total voters

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
my 7 plus 256GB cost me £789 so paying more for an OLED iphone 8 with more features is expected. in the UK this is to be expected now.

Hell the S8 will cost 800 i imagine too

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2011
First of all, you're basing all of your points on rumors and speculation.

There's no proof there will be an iPhone 8 this fall. There's no proof it will cost $1000 for the base model. Why would there not be a 7s/7s+? What if the base storage available was raised to 128GB? Seems justifiable to charge 1k for that, if you ask me.

The pointy I'm making us there's to much uncertainty to get in this much of a tizzy this early.
Yes but the iPhone 7 Plus today at 128GB costs $870
and the prices of SSD goes down so the iPhone 8 should not be more than $900 and at the highest $950 and that's with the 128GB storage. If it were 32GB for base than the iPhone 8 should not cost more than $870

DUIduckSAUCE

Suspended
Sep 12, 2016
The market will determine the ultimate price of this phone. Apple can charge as much as it wants. I personally think at $1000 Apple won't be able to keep it in stock.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
and the prices of SSD goes down so the iPhone 8 should not be more than $900 and at the highest $950 and that's with the 128GB storage. If it were 32GB for base than the iPhone 8 should not cost more than $870
So what you're saying is Apple should never be able to charge more than the previous generation no matter what new technology they incorporate, right? Am I understanding you correctly?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

1) If the iPhone 8 is as groundbreaking as people here want it to be, there's no way it can reasonably cost less than $1000. No way.

2) If it was $1000, it would likely be released in tandem with the 7S. As the manufacturing and component costs for the radical new design reduce, so will the cost of the phone.

3) Apple don't just shove any old SSDs into their iOS and Mac devices, so component pricing stays surprisingly static. They use seriously fast Flash. For instance, a 1TB Samsung EVO SSD costs under £300, whilst a 1TB Samsung NVMe 960 SSD costs almost £700; more than double that of the EVO. So comparing Flash performance based on storage size alone and saying that prices are falling over time isn't quite accurate.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
How can I decide if I'll buy something that I haven't even seen yet?

Based off a rumored website, some have already made their mind up what they're purchasing based off a rumor/prediction. It's the nostalgia of all of it for some. Some will purchase even considering without even wanting to know what it looks like. Hype can be a big factor on sites like these.

Teddysjam

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2014
Hard to say now waiting for more official news but I doubt I will buy it. I had the 5s and the 6, then went to the Note 7 and of course we know what happened so I went back to an iPhone 6s plus. Love the 6s and seems like some of my apps run better on IOS but my wife has the Samsung s7 edge this phone already had everything iPhone is adding OMLED display wireless charging etc. and I really like it plus i like the customizing that can be done on androids better widgets etc so might jump on S8 plus Samsung everyone's IPhone basically looks the same when you turn it on but seems like androids can be more tailored to my needs. But only time will tell. Plus if you order at 3am on launch day you won't get for a few months anyway.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I'll buy the best phone on the market at the time. Whether or not it's the iPhone remains to be seen. We'll know by the end of the year! :)

Edelheid

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2013
My 256 GB iPhone 7 costs $1000 (iPhone 6s 128 GB, meanwhile, cost around the same) so if the $1000 iPhone 8 rumours are true, guess that will be over $1200 in my country. o_O

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Based off a rumored website, some have already made their mind up what they're purchasing based off a rumor/prediction. It's the nostalgia of all of it for some. Some will purchase even considering without even wanting to know what it looks like. Hype can be a big factor on sites like these.

I get that, but that doesn't make it sensible. I very much hope that this year's premium iPhone will be amazing. I want to want to buy it, but I'm still going to wait until I have enough verified information before I say whether or not I intend to purchase it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I get that, but that doesn't make it sensible. I very much hope that this year's premium iPhone will be amazing. I want to want to buy it, but I'm still going to wait until I have enough verified information before I say whether or not I intend to purchase it.

Of course it's not sensible, they are all rumors and predictions. I upgrade every year and I'm confident this will be the year for a major revamp, more so, the alleged OLED model. All in due time hopefully.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Of course it's not sensible, they are all rumors and predictions. I upgrade every year and I'm confident this will be the year for a major revamp, more so, the alleged OLED model. All in due time hopefully.

Well if you upgrade every year regardless then it's not much of a question. I decide on a year by year basis based on what's offered. Went from the 5s to the 6 for the larger display, but since then, nothing about the 6s or the 7 has justified spending money on an upgrade for me. I was tempted each time, but doing so would have been just for the superficial reason of having the latest model. I'm hoping that there will be something this year that's enough of an improvement over the 6 to make if feel worthwhile to me.

cmanbrazil

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
And my iPhone 7 plus 256gb is worth ...? Whatever the 8 plus version with 256gb - the value of my trade in = will tell me the answer of whether or not I will buy the phone.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
And my iPhone 7 plus 256gb is worth ...? Whatever the 8 plus version with 256gb - the value of my trade in = will tell me the answer of whether or not I will buy the phone.
currently on comparison site mine would go for £612. by september though that will be down to 550 i bet...so i'm guessing i will need to pay an extra £350-400 to buy the iphone 8 after selling this.

jshtroutman

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2016
No I won't. I am however excited to see the next phase of iPhone design and features. I plan on keeping my 7 for a couple years.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It's going to depends entirely on the feature set. I skipped the 7 because it wasn't worth it to me. $1000 doesn't put a phone completely out of reach, but it better be damn good. With the 7 I learned that buying a phone every year simply isn't necessary. I think we've reached a point where we simply won't see tangible improvements on a yearly bases.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Well if you upgrade every year regardless then it's not much of a question. I decide on a year by year basis based on what's offered. Went from the 5s to the 6 for the larger display, but since then, nothing about the 6s or the 7 has justified spending money on an upgrade for me. I was tempted each time, but doing so would have been just for the superficial reason of having the latest model. I'm hoping that there will be something this year that's enough of an improvement over the 6 to make if feel worthwhile to me.

You don't find the reason to upgrade from your iPhone 6 due to superficial reasons, so be it. I don't upgrade every year because "I want the latest and greatest" or for superficial reasons, I upgrade anually for reasons of the software/hardware upgrades appeal to me.

To many times, there is the misconception of those who believe these bloated rumors of a grandiose iPhone that will release later in the year and then it doesn't happen, therefore, their expectations were set high with the current device, now being "Sub par."

I, have the expectation knowingly that cell phones or the iPhone, don't have major revamps every single year. It's in increments, and if those incremental upgrades are sufficient enough for me, then I will justify my purchase. I thought the 6s from the iPhone 7 had plenty of smaller, incremental upgrades that again appealed to me.

I do believe the September 2017 iPhone will have a major revamp.

LaloG

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2013
No way. I have 2 small kids. I'm currently looking at getting the 7 from Verizon since they will cover the cost if I switch from att.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I'd have to justify it by saying "this model is better for my job because [ ____ ].

Right now I have no clue how to end that sentence. Maybe Apple does.

Apple always knows how to sell you something. Just look at every iPhone release in the past, the release of Apple Watch, iPad, first release of iPod, all Macs... They've always been more expensive than the competition, but somehow you can justify the purchase. That's Apple's magic right there.

They can always make the iPhone cheaper, but it hasn't hit a price that's gone too far yet. Just look at sales figures. Especially when the lineup consists of cheaper models and storage options.

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
One mans junk is another mans treasure. I look at luxurious products as Perceived value; yes the smartphones are a luxury, not a necessity. I dislike Android in it's entirety, not because it's bad, but because of the damage the OEM manufactures and the carriers have done to hack up the Vanilla Android linux experience, by implementing their own custom UI skins and installing bloatware that cannot be removed unless you root the the device. The Apple OS and hardware are designed from scratch to work together flawlessly, not true with Androids. The apps from the marketplace, while maybe costing a few bucks vs free are better polished and the QA is more profound. From a practical standpoint, the easier the device is to use, the better the productivity for the end user on the run. Apple never was the leader in over all sales, but has always maintained the best resale value.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
The question wasn't worded as well as it could have been. I'm assuming the question is whether or not $1000 price tag is an automatic deal breaker or not.
No I don't mean that. I would buy it over $1000 but the upgrades will really have to justify the increased spend. Your interpretation means no matter the upgrades, $1000 is too much.

Obviously working with rumours but I think most will have a decision in mind (although it could change). I'm not taking any responses as binding!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.