Will you buy an expensive iPhone 8?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Galacticos, Feb 19, 2017.

?

If the iPhone 8 is over USD$1000 will you upgrade/but it?

1. Yes

57 vote(s)
    38.8%
  2. No

49 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Maybe

41 vote(s)
    27.9%
  1. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

I am the complete opposite. Size matters to me but I want a phablet. I'm not happy with the rumours of the usable area of the screen only being 5.1 inches. I want 5.5 inches plus and if it's the right size I'll happily put down the money.

2. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

For the ONLY size it will come in.

5.8" screen in a body the size of the current 4.7".
    --- Post Merged, Feb 23, 2017 ---
    You can think that all you want (free will & such) however, factually- the SE has the lowest price out of Apple's lineup because it has the lowest material/assembly cost.
    If you take into account the cost of the larger screen on iPhone 7, w/ the P3 wide color gamut, better cameras, inclusion of technologies like the new TapticEngine & 3D Touch, etc. and that explains the price being higher than the SE.
    If you're saying that you expect the rumored 2017 iPhone to ALSO have the added expense of wireless charging, a new screen embedding the TouchID, a new stacked logic board tech allowing for larger battery, dual rear cameras and now 3D cameras in front, and all the other rumored goodies, yet be priced like the SE- I'm sorry to say, but you sound a bit silly.
    It will obviously be more expensive.
    I don't believe the "start at a grand" rumors- I think the three phones will be: $649, $769, & $849 ($899 at the highest), in their base configurations... and tbh, I'd pay that & not feel ripped off. People that purchased the "Plus" over the last 3 iterations clearly felt it was worth the ~$100 more for a bigger screen & enhanced camera functions; similarly I find the new iPhone (if all the rumors are true) to be worth a $100 premium above that.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The SE even though a great phone its an older device. Offcourse you can get devices brand new that are 2-3 plus years older for way cheaper than brand new iphones released this year.
    With that logic there shouldn't be cars that cost more than 15,000 brand new. There's many companies offering their models for way less than Ferrari, Porsche, BMW and Mercedes :D
    --- Post Merged, Feb 23, 2017 ---
    From what I heard they will release 3 different models but who knows.
    I dont think it will be just 1 size unless you're talking about the most expensive model. That currently is the 7 Plus.

4. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

To be fair, just because someone else is offering something for less doesn't mean that the same types or quality of components or materials or something else of that nature are in question, even if it's something that's "the latest".

5. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

I'll answer this in September when, you know, we've actually seen the hardware.

6. Jimmyss macrumors member

Jimmyss

No, I don't think so. I think there won't be much change from iPhone 7S (if there is an iPhone 7S) to iPhone 8. I better look for an iPhone 7S. iPhone 3G, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6S all were great devices.

7. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

If the rumours are true your wrong, the 8 will have OLED wireless charging and a completely new design, where as the 7s is rumoured to have a spec update. I think we may also see a new colour or something like that for the 7s.

8. Jimmyss macrumors member

Jimmyss

I don't particularly bother much about the color. The specs are really important for me. I could care less how my iPhone looks, I just know it is beautiful,, I just know it.

9. CrownVic macrumors regular

CrownVic

Not this year. I dropped a little over a grand for my 256GB 7 Plus. My next big one will be the 2018 iPhone :D

10. mmomega macrumors 68030

mmomega

My current iPhone is already $950.
    If I think it is a better product and have the ability to buy it without having to sacrifice elsewhere then Yes.
    If something major changes with my finances by then, probably not.

I'm not going to put myself or my family into a bind financially just to buy it. I have a few friends that live paycheck to paycheck and will pretty much purchase everything on their want list first then complain daily about not having any money or use the term "must be nice" to all of our other friends.

Ok off soapbox.

11. Apple 26.2 macrumors 6502a

Apple 26.2

I can't say that I blame you... I love, love, love the size and graphics of the 6+ and 7+. I take my phone with me when I run and there's no way I can't strap one of those behemoths to me and take it on the go :/

12. drewyboy macrumors 65816

Exactly. IF true, this is the same crap they pulled with the iPad. They release a version which should simply take place of the old model, but they decide it's "special" and keep the old version around (7s & 7+s, and MBP) and then charge a bit more for what should have completely replaced the old one.

Really it comes down to them increasing price points across the board and having some crap answer on why. "We added x,y,z". Yeah? You use to just put it in without cost increase. It's called the progress of technology.

13. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

No.

iPhone SE does everything I want at probably half the price.

14. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

I will have to wait untill they have a good used one shows up on Amazon $$

15. Cristim74 macrumors regular

Cristim74

Will most likely upgrade to the OLED version from the current 6S Plus, but only with a minimum 5.5" screen.

16. NougatDude Suspended

I'm a yes. Just a matter if I'm going to get all three models for us or one or two I just bought a 7 plus

17. snicklesnackle macrumors member

snicklesnackle

Does anyone bother with the upgrade program? I'm tempted to start it in September then always have the latest model.