Will You Camp Out for the Apple Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Flow39, Mar 1, 2015.

?

Will You Camp Out for the Apple Watch?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. I'll Pre-Order

40 vote(s)
    63.5%
  1. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

As the title says, will you camp out for the Apple Watch? Honestly, it looks like the demand for this product is not as much as it was for the OG iPhone and iPad. I would venture a guess that we will see some lines, but not the gigantic lines like we see for the iPhone.

I personally hope there will be lines for the Apple Watch. Camping out is a lot of fun and you get to meet great people, plus it helps build the hype! So what do you guys think? Will we see lines for the Apple Watch, and if so, do you think you will camp out?

2. cleirac macrumors 6502

No. My pre-order AW will be delivered to where I work. Business as usual.

And I do not have problems with overeager and excited Apple fans doing this. I heard it is quite an experience. And atmospheric. I should do that on daylight and for a few hours only because the overnight thing is a stretch for me. But hey, it is springtime. Now it makes sense why Apple does not really launch their products during winter. They care for their fans. :D

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'll preorder and get it on launch day, just as I've been doing with iPhones.

4. Flow39 thread starter macrumors 68000

Flow39

Question for you guys: what if they don't offer pre-orders? Will you camp out, try your luck later on launch day, or wait for a few months and then buy it?

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Back then before pre-orders became commonplace, I just had my Apple manager sister bring home a new iPhone at the end of her shift shortly after the official launch.

6. cleirac macrumors 6502

I will try my luck on launch day. I will work on different shift or something. I have to finally experience being part of the long lines during daylight only. I do not expect the lines for AW to be that long. Oh well, it would be fun and exciting if it will be epic long. But no camping overnight.

7. Flow39 thread starter macrumors 68000

Flow39

Do you think we will see massive lines and people camping out, or do you think this will be a fairly subdued product launch?

8. KPOM macrumors G5

Apple's had several months to gauge demand and get production ready. I don't foresee there being huge lines for this, which is not a bad thing. One of the most successful iPad launches was for the 4th edition, which had adequate stock at launch. Even though there were no long lines, it outsold every other iPad launch, IIRC.

----------

There might be a few die-hards, but I think this is going to be more subdued.

9. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

It will be an 'event' like the other major launches. I really think so. This is a new product category.

Again, it all depends on the Apple event in 10 days.... how much excitement it brings...

but I think the hype will be so much that you'll have to be in line to reliably get one in the first month or so.

10. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

There will be lines. No matter what they have to do, Apple will make sure there are lines and constrained supplies. Apple has set the bar such that if there aren't lines and constrained supplies, people will pounce and call it a flop.

On a side note, the watch will be the fastest/most selling something or other on the following Monday. See above as to why.

11. Flow39 thread starter macrumors 68000

Flow39

That's honestly what I'm hoping for. Literally half of my excitement for the iPhone 6 was for waiting in line. I know it sounds funny, but it's true. I'd like to see the same type of lines for the Apple Watch :)

12. jordanst macrumors member

jordanst

I'd prefer to preorder. But if there aren't preorders and it's available in Canada at launch, I'll definitely wait in line.
    I think I'm set on getting the 42mm with Milanese loop, but trying it on first in the store would be better, and more fun - I'm interested to see how they adjust the layout of the store too.

13. macslayer118 macrumors 6502

I've waited in line for exactly 2 launches. The original iPhone and the iPhone 5s (there were no pre-orders for shipment on launch day from what I remember).

The original iPhone was the first Apple product I had ever purchased. The excitement I have for this watch is very much up to the same level as I had for that device. I truly think there is going to be a change in the SmartWatch category after this. I will be a first adopter. I will have one on launch day.

Therefore: I will be camping out overnight :D

14. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

I think we in these forums are dying to get one. We are on the bleeding edge.

There will not be lines forming. There will be a lot of curious people that want to see it in the stores however because they will have seen something on CNN or a news paper in the days leading up to the launch.

There is much hype for the iphone launches because it already has an established user base in the many millions.

15. cleirac macrumors 6502

Yeah, for these reasons, however, I will be doing it in USA fitting a 38mm with Milanese loop. :p

16. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I would love to camp out for it. Except I'm 15 and my parents won't take me for camping outside the Apple Store :(. Guess it's 3 AM preorder for me.

----------

I don't think so. The faster people get them the happier they are. And Apple will just come out a week later and say "We sold a billion. Flop my ass..." Ok maybe not that many and they might word it differently.

----------

Me too.

17. jordanst macrumors member

jordanst

What about the time it takes to try out sizes and straps? If there are long lines it could take forever for people to decide which watch to buy.

18. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

This is a very good point. Hopefully people will be so excited they will just buy the first one they wanted form looking online.

19. rjlawrencejr macrumors 6502

I won't "camp out" but depending on the day it takes place I might arrive very early - maybe 4am.

20. Flow39 thread starter macrumors 68000

Flow39

I may try my luck at being first at my local Apple Store for camping out for the Apple Watch. Being first in line is something I've wanted to do for a long time. I thought I'd be first for the iPhone 6 launch, but I showed up at 5:30ish PM the day before and I was 64th in line :/

All I'm hoping for are other people camping out so I'm not the only person by myself in line for 15 hours :)

21. technosix macrumors 6502a

I enjoy driving by the local store just because the line makes me laugh. It's just so amusing how emotional Apple buyers are. I can't even imagine standing in line for any kind of consumer gadget. Yet obviously these people have nothing more important to do. I'm so happy I don't have that problem. :)

22. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    1. Of course there'll be lines. Lines of people buying bags of gold watches to send to eager overseas buyers!

2. Personally I'm going to wait a few weeks, and see how the used prices go. I suspect that, more than other device, people will rather quickly figure out if they really had a need/desire for another thing to charge... and/or if a non-watch person will become a watch person.

(I think that those who get a lot of notifications during the day, but respond only to some, will quickly figure out the joy of culling out the important ones by a quick glance at their wrist. OTOH, I think that others who ALWAYS respond to EVERY notification, will just as quickly figure out that they might as well pull out their phone to begin with.)

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The line will probably be reserved for those who are ready to buy, i.e., if you want to try out the various sizes and straps you go into the store for that then get back in line.

Have you ever seen someone waiting in that long line only to try out the new iPhone? Same thing.

24. jordanst macrumors member

jordanst

I'd like to think so... I was in line for the iPhone 6 launch, and even then there were several people around me changing their decisions last minute. Also because this is entirely new and there are so many versions, I doubt they'll be doing their usual passbook line reservation system.

25. Flow39 thread starter macrumors 68000

Flow39

Possibly just a standard non-preorder launch, where everyone is in the same line?