Will you hold off on 4.7" iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, May 7, 2014.

  1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

    Mad Mac Maniac

    Oct 4, 2007
    A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    It seems readily apparent that Apple will be releasing a 4.7" iPhone this September. However, Apple is also rumored to be releasing a 5.5" iPhone sometime in the months following. Would the lure of the 5.5" iPhone hold you off as a "wait and see" kind of thing? I'm not sure which iPhone I would ultimately buy, but I know that the possibility of a new iPhone in a new size and potentially even new features (saphire display?) just a few short months away may give me pause before splurging away.

    As a side note, I am certainly in the camp of "smartphones are the REAL post-pc world" in which case a larger screen can prove to be extremely useful. I recently moved, and I held off on getting internet for a full month and relied 100% on my iPhone (and it's unlimited data) for any and all tasks. Browsing, paying bills, watching netflix, emails, everything. It was surprisingly not too challenging. Kind of made me question my iPad actually, cause my iPhone can easily do everything my iPad does, but there were still times I was yearning for my macbook. This would make a 5.5" iPhone fit in nicely....
  2. Dave245 macrumors 603


    Sep 15, 2013
    Personally i would like Apple to announce the 4.7" and the 5.5" at the same time/event, even if they don't release at the same time. This would then give a chance for everyone to see both versions with the features and so on, but it would also allow everyone (myself included) to make a decision on which version they would like to get. If its the 4.7" then people can buy it as soon as Apple release it in September, however if we like the 5.5" better then we can wait and get that one when it releases, a few months later (probably)
  3. bigjnyc macrumors 603


    Apr 10, 2008
    Nope. Jumping on the 4.7" immediately. I think 4.7 to 5.0 (if done correctly with minimal bezel) are the sweet spot sizes for a phone..... Anything higher than that looks ridiculous. I see people walking around using a Note as a phone and it looks absolutely absurd in my opinion.
  4. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

    Oct 8, 2012
    I agree - 5.5" phones are just monstrous. The thing about phablets is they have a nice big screen, but the experience is still inferior to a tablet. So you end up having to handle an unwieldy device that doesn't work as well as a full blown tablet.
  5. 869639 macrumors 6502

    Jan 2, 2014
    I'm looking forward to the 4.7" I have held off from buying an iPad for the past 2 years and have done away with just my iPhone 5 then 5S along with Macbook.

    I am excited to get the next iPhone, I would love it to be little bit bigger so i can also enjoy reading on a bigger screen. I have thought long about the iPad Mini but I just cannot seem to find the time for a 3rd electronic in my life. My iPad 2 when I had it, would sit around on the table for weeks at a time before I used it for anything.
  6. carjakester macrumors 68020


    Oct 21, 2013
    Ill get the 6, and if a larger size becomes available i will decide then if i want to get that, you can always sell your phone and buy a new one for a small loss, especially when phones ares still new. I remember the 5 selling for a grand on release day.
  7. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a


    Jul 7, 2010
    Like what Dave245 said, I'd prefer them to reveal both at the same time so we know there will be two models. This way I can decide which one I want instead of purchasing one, and then they come out with the bigger model a few months later. I'd rather them avoid pulling what other manufacturers pull with releasing multiple versions with bigger screens every few months.
  8. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

    Mad Mac Maniac

    Oct 4, 2007
    A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Yes, this would be ideal... but I think unless they will be launching about a month apart from each other I doubt Apple would do that. If there is a few month (3-5) delay, the 5.5" would stall a lot of upgrades (making the iPhone look like a flop), plus that would just be unusual to announce it so far out regardless.


    I'm not so sure I agree. The way I use my iPads has turned into almost identical behavior to the way I use my iPhone. The larger screen real estate is nice, but at times I find even my iPad mini unnecessarily large and unweildy for how I'm using it. I think so long as a phone fits comfortably in my pocket, it becomes a great portable computer. Sure there's still a bit of a social stigma about holding such a large phone up to your ear, but that's passing.
  9. scott99 macrumors 6502a

    Oct 30, 2007
    Remember the days when SMALLER was cooler ? Now, people are holding tablets up to their heads. I think 4.7" is big enough IF you already have a tablet (I have a 7" tablet). If you want a tablet/phone combo, 5.5" is a good move. I'll be getting the 4.7"
  10. kupkakez macrumors 68000


    Apr 4, 2011
    I'll get the 4.7" right away. If they happen to release the 5.5" at a later date I'll just sell my 4.7" and put that money towards the 5.5". Simple.
  11. BJMRamage macrumors 68020


    Oct 2, 2007
    I have an iPhone 4. I am in NEED of an upgrade as the home button is barely working.

    If Apple only announces one size...that is the size i get. if they announce two sizes I'd probably get the first one on sale...unless an even larger one has lots more features but after using the 5S for a few months, I like what that has so the next upgrade should do.
  12. got556 macrumors 6502


    Jul 7, 2013
    Will you hold off on 4.7" iPhone?

    I am by heart an android lover and have had darn near every flagship verizon has had. With that said I have had every iPhone verizon has had also. I can't wait for the 4.7" iPhone as I think that will be perfect. With that said I will wait til it is possible to jailbreak the new phones as I can't live/settle on stock iOS. Very excited though.

    ETA I have had two Note 2's and a Note 3 along with the original Note on straight talk. I loved the size of the Note 2 and everything it offered but the size got old after a while. Thus my thinking the 4.7 iPhone will be perfect.
  13. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

    Sep 29, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    It depends on how much solid info there is that Apple is actually going to release a 5.5" phone. I'm leery of all the rumors about "production delays" and such. It makes me think that the 5.5" was simply one of the prototypes that leaked out and someone ran with it and will never see the light of day. Of the 2 I would probably prefer the 5.5", if it does indeed exist.
  14. nilk macrumors 6502a

    Oct 18, 2007
    You can have my 3.5" iPhone 4S when you pull it from my cold, dead hands; or when the performance is bad enough that I can't stand it and you offer me enough cash for it :)

    3.5" is the perfect screen size in my opinion. I can use something faster, and thinner, but I don't need a bigger screen. And I otherwise crave screen real estate; I'm sitting in front of 4 monitors right now, one of which is a 27" Apple TB display, and at home I have a dual-monitor setup that includes a 30", too.

    Nothing I currently do with my iPhone would benefit very much from a larger screen, and I value a compact form factor more in this case (it sits in my pocket all day long, and I use it one-handed often). I use my wife's 5S, and the extra screen space seems superfluous to me (granted, in iOS 7 they made some apps worse on the 3.5" screen - like the calendar app - but they didn't have to do that).

    I guess my next phone will be whatever the smaller iPhone is. Or maybe I would even buy an Android phone to get a smaller screen size (how's that for tables turning).

    Though I admit, I might be completely wrong, and maybe I would love a larger screen once I got used to it.
  15. Scarpad macrumors 68000


    Jan 13, 2005
    Yes the AT&T Next date when I can change phones is next Feb so should be about right
  16. yourmother macrumors regular

    Jun 23, 2009
    I have a Galaxy Note 3. So I do want to try to wait to see what the 5.5 design would look like however I wouldn't mind downgrading in size to a 4.7. Sometimes having such a large phone is a problem.
  17. Arelunde macrumors 6502a


    Jul 6, 2011
    CA Central Coast
    If both sizes are available at the same time (wishful thinking), I'd opt for the 5.5 model. But I don't want to wait months on a "maybe it will be offered" because that "maybe" may not pan out. So if the 4.7 is released, I'll get that and see if the 5.5 materializes.

    However, I agree with another poster who said the 5.5 might have been a prototype. OR maybe the 4.7 is a prototype and the 5.5 will be the real deal. Speculation is just that.

    Personally, I don't understand any benefit for Apple to release two versions of the same iPhone less than an inch different in size and one having a sapphire screen with a slightly better resolution ... especially if the pricing is pretty much the same for either.

    At least the 5S vs. the 5C have a clear distinction - the 5S being an upgrade; the 5C a cheaper revision of the existing 5 primarily aimed at emerging markets outside the US.

    Where's the advantage of diluting your potential pre-Christmas marketshare by making customers choose between buying now and waiting. Makes no sense. :confused:
  18. williamwilson macrumors newbie

    May 7, 2014
    I'll be getting the 4.7 inch day 1. If the 5.5 is released and I like it better, I'll sell the 4.7 inch and get the bigger one.
  19. Wreckie macrumors regular

    May 9, 2011
    Have been using 3.5" since 2008, might want to try something new and 4.7" seems good, don't need phablet.
  20. mtneer macrumors 68030


    Sep 15, 2012
    I will be eligible for an upgrade in September since I have a launch day iPhone 5.

    My plan is:
    1. If Apple right away offers the 5.5" or both a 4.7" & 5.5" is to buy the 5.5" phone.
    2. If Apple initially announces only a 4.7" phone, I will just hold off purchasing it and wait and see if Apple releases something larger a few months later as rumored. If they do, I will pickup the larger phone at that time.
    3. If no larger phone comes out; I will just ride my iPhone 5 out until iPhone 6S (or whatever it maybe called) in 2015.
  21. McPc macrumors 6502


    Sep 30, 2012
    My contract is up in Sept. and I plan on getting the 4.7 right away. While I welcome the 4.7 size I feel the 5.5 would be too large for my needs.
  22. djransom macrumors 68040


    May 14, 2008
    It's funny how everyone says the current iPhone size is the perfect size until the next iPhone drops. Pretty soon the iPhone will be the size of the Note and then we'll see less people complaining about that size. As far as the new iPhone, me and the wife will more than likely upgrade to it.
  23. sonicrobby macrumors 68020


    Apr 24, 2013
    New Orleans
    I definitely will; my 2 year contract will be up this year, and I dont want to waste the renewal on the 4.7" when the 5.5" will be around the corner. Hopefully they will announce both at once so I can make the decision sooner. I definitely would like a large phone, but Im desperately needing a new one! Fall just cant come soon enough.
  24. DucMike macrumors member


    Sep 25, 2013
    Sacramento-area, CA
    I'm on a wait-and-see list until I see how the two are 'equipped'. I'm also on the odd schedule as far as upgrades go (3Gs>4s>5s), so I'm kinda curious what the improved iP6* is gonna have in store. Most likely though, if they're similarly optioned, I'll most likely lean towards the 4.7" screen. Laughing at the phablet-aganst-the-ear crowd is my idea of fun. :rolleyes:
  25. bnekic macrumors 6502a


    Sep 19, 2013
    Cleveland, OH

Share This Page