Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you upgrade from iPhone 5S to 6 If the specs are as listed?

• Yes

Votes: 103 62.8%
  • No [Why?]

Votes: 61 37.2%

• Total voters

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It amazes me how often that is stated considering how meaningless it is.

How is that meaningless? He is stating that they could easily fit a 4.3" screen and keep the exact same form factor. I find that far from meaningless...

I think most people would gladly welcome a bigger screen, but keep the device the same size. I know I do not want a bigger device, but if they could offer more screen that would be great.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
Earth
I doubt it will have the same design...

Looking at iPhone 4 and 5S, there hasn't been much of a design change....besides the thinness and color coordination difference. iPhone continues to look about the same. I bet from far one can't really tell the difference between a 4 and 5S.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It amazes me how often that is stated considering how meaningless it is.

Like Matt stated I don't consider that meaningless at all. Matter of fact I think it's quite the opposite.

A lot of people want a bigger screen and a lot of people don't want a larger device. Less bezel is the perfect compromise IMO. On an iPad I like the bezel because it makes it easier to hold but with a phone I hold it from the edges.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
How is that meaningless? He is stating that they could easily fit a 4.3" screen and keep the exact same form factor. I find that far from meaningless...

Except that the ratio doesn't say that at all. It simply compares screen to bezel size. It's obvious that the phone with the smaller screen size would have the worst ratio.

A lot of people want a bigger screen and a lot of people don't want a larger device. Less bezel is the perfect compromise IMO. On an iPad I like the bezel because it makes it easier to hold but with a phone I hold it from the edges.

I'm glad you brought up the large bezel on the iPad and proving my point. The iPad has a better screen to bezel ratio than practically any smartphone...and that's what makes the ratio useless.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I have the 5s and I will not buy another iPhone until they actually put out a new camera with increased megapixel. 8mp is dated and the fact that apple just keeps tweaking it is sad. There is only so far you can go with 8mp and apple has hit this. "Better optics" sounds more like recycled tech that lags behind the competition. Is MP everything in a camera, NO, but in 2014 they need to go ahead and get with the times and bump up the MP count to 12 or higher.

Except for the fact their 8 MP meets or beats the quality of nearly every other shooter out there.....

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I only upgrade when I am eligible to with AT&T. The 5s is doing all that I need and the rumored specs aren't enough to even tempt me to upgrade out-of-cycle.

DucMike

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2013
Sacramento-area, CA
I'm another one on the every-other-year plan. First one was a 3Gs, followed by a 4s, then my current 5s. I like getting the better version of the new devices. I wouldn't be opposed to a slightly larger screen, as long as the case size doesn't grow too much. I also wouldn't mind an improvement in the camera or RAM, but neither is a deal-breaker. I'm just gonna wait & see, though I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll be ordering my shiny new 6s when the time comes. :cool:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Except for the fact their 8 MP meets or beats the quality of nearly every other shooter out there.....

Totally agree. The only phone that I can think of that takes better pics is the lumia phones and they still have a much longer shutter speed. IMO, the 5s has the best overall camera on any smartphone.

benoit85

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2013
My 5S is the first iphone I've ever owned!:eek:, had a Blackberry, then the Samsung S2. Never thought i would switch from Android, i loved it! after 2 years though i started to get a bit bored so decided to switch to an iphone and it's honestly the best phone i've ever owned. I thought dropping down in screen size would bother me but i love the slightly smaller screen, can use the phone one handed for a change.
I think i'll just wait to see what's about when my contract ends and go from there.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
Looking at iPhone 4 and 5S, there hasn't been much of a design change....besides the thinness and color coordination difference. iPhone continues to look about the same. I bet from far one can't really tell the difference between a 4 and 5S.

The 4s also has glass on the back, different camera, an older 30 pin charging port, no touch ID....just to name a few

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
Way too early to tell. The specs you listed are nice and all but let's wait and see what the official iPhone 6 looks like and what it does before we trash our 5ses. :p

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
So that makes my jumps from the 3Gs to the 4s & from the 4s to the 5s pretty noticable then?

Sure, albeit no more than going from 3 -> 4 or 4 -> 5. And you need to wait a year longer for those.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I voted no for right now, just because I don't think I'll be going back. iOS is kind of starting to bore me and the iPhones are getting harder and harder to jailbreak. I like customizing my phone :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.