Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bllx

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008
-Obviously I am not using the original ATI 5770 card to run GTAV, I'm using a PC issue GTX970. Runs rather well.

Reactions: 2165694

Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2021
NYC
Hmm, maybe I'll try GTA V again.

Wonder if the info you found out about games using AVX was (very) specific to the AAA titles you tested/played or was it more general about games using AVX etc? For about 1 year, I dual-booted my cMP with macOS 11.x.x/12.x.x and Win 11 using first an RX 580 and then RX 5700 GPUs. I used to game regularly on Win 11 with titles like Red Death Redemption 2 and Cyberpunk 2077 at 1080p -- with graphic settings pretty much maxed out and never had an issue at the time. Frame rate was pretty good for the cMP (although neither of those GPUs have Ray Tracing so never used that). You can read more on these gaming benchmarks in this thread. Anyhow, still a bit unsure about what is causing your issues with gaming, but my gut feeling is that there might be something other than AVX at play?

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 13, 2022
Wonder if the info you found out about games using AVX was (very) specific to the AAA titles you tested/played or was it more general about games using AVX etc? For about 1 year, I dual-booted my cMP with macOS 11.x.x/12.x.x and Win 11 using first an RX 580 and then RX 5700 GPUs. I used to game regularly on Win 11 with titles like Red Death Redemption 2 and Cyberpunk 2077 at 1080p -- with graphic settings pretty much maxed out and never had an issue at the time. Frame rate was pretty good for the cMP (although neither of those GPUs have Ray Tracing so never used that). You can read more on these gaming benchmarks in this thread. Anyhow, still a bit unsure about what is causing your issues with gaming, but my gut feeling is that there might be something other than AVX at play?
Yeah, I'm not even 100% sure it's AVX to blame. I feel as though I've reached the end of the line in troubleshooting the issue short of replacing components.

Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2021
NYC
Yeah, I'm not even 100% sure it's AVX to blame. I feel as though I've reached the end of the line in troubleshooting the issue short of replacing components.
I would try Win 11 instead of Win 10 (just to try and see if it makes a difference...) But yes, I understand it can be tiring to figure out issues etc with our (forever beautiful!) vintage machines. FWIW, after about 1 year of using Win 11 on my cMP, I decided to build a dedicated PC desktop, partly to start transitioning some of my workflows and partly for gaming too (as I also wanted to have a more powerful gaming PC). If building a PC, as you previously have mentioned, is an option you are considering, you'll likely be happy going for it! The cMP holds up pretty well for casual gaming, but a dedicated PC with the latest generation components would certainly be a better option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.