Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sytrusze

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Hey guys,

I have a 2011 iMac, which I love. Now I want to purchase a windows laptop and use the iMac as the monitor with a converter. What would be ideal is, if I could run both mac and windows at the same time and switch screens with a button. So if I need something on my windows laptop, I can just switch the iMac screen to windows and vica versa. Is this possible and do I need some additional stuff to make this happen?

Thanks in advance.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
You can't hook up non-Apple h/w to Thunderbolt Apple h/w. I too have 2011 iMac w/ Thundershite and found out this to my severe disappointment.

sytrusze

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
You can't hook up non-Apple h/w to Thunderbolt Apple h/w. I too have 2011 iMac w/ Thundershite and found out this to my severe disappointment.

Is this true? That would be a bummer and meaning I'd have to sell my beloved iMac :(

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
That's OK when using apps like Notepad, but Photoshop/After Effects is not do-able on a VM.

Photoshop and the entire Adobe suite is available in native Mac applications. VNC is quite quick and reliable provided it is properly configured and over a strong network.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
That's OK when using apps like Notepad, but Photoshop/After Effects is not do-able on a VM.

Using either Parallels or Fusion on my mid-2011 27" iMac, I have played Assassin's Creed II, Brotherhood, Revolution, Dead Space, Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary, Underworld, and many more games with great graphics and no noticeable lag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.