Windows Laptop on iMac 2011 screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sytrusze, Dec 21, 2015.

1. sytrusze macrumors member

Hey guys,

I have a 2011 iMac, which I love. Now I want to purchase a windows laptop and use the iMac as the monitor with a converter. What would be ideal is, if I could run both mac and windows at the same time and switch screens with a button. So if I need something on my windows laptop, I can just switch the iMac screen to windows and vica versa. Is this possible and do I need some additional stuff to make this happen?

Thanks in advance.

2. admwright macrumors regular

Just use your iMac as a Mac and use remote desktop to access the windows laptop.

3. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

You can't hook up non-Apple h/w to Thunderbolt Apple h/w. I too have 2011 iMac w/ Thundershite and found out this to my severe disappointment.

4. sytrusze thread starter macrumors member

Is this true? That would be a bummer and meaning I'd have to sell my beloved iMac :(

5. sytrusze thread starter macrumors member

Wouldn't be an option due to the latency Remote Desktop has unfortunately, but thanks for thinking with me.

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Why not just run Indows in a virtual machine on the iMac?

7. sytrusze thread starter macrumors member

That's OK when using apps like Notepad, but Photoshop/After Effects is not do-able on a VM.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Photoshop and the entire Adobe suite is available in native Mac applications. VNC is quite quick and reliable provided it is properly configured and over a strong network.

9. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

Using either Parallels or Fusion on my mid-2011 27" iMac, I have played Assassin's Creed II, Brotherhood, Revolution, Dead Space, Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary, Underworld, and many more games with great graphics and no noticeable lag.