Windows Vs Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JamesGorman, Nov 8, 2009.

1. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Well, I just installed Windows on my computer via bootcamp and I must say that I now remember why I turned to mac. The overall experience, and all the updating and whatnot that must be done even before really being able to do anything in the OS is such a pain in the ass. I installed windows solely because I wanted to play a few games. My macbook runs it like a dream, and it is by far the fastest windows experience I've had since ever owning any windows shipped system. But still, the speed alone does not make up for all the crap that comes along with owning or using a windows made OS. I must admit that windows 7 is by far the nicest and easiest to use Windows release in some time, but its still windows, and that still means, viruses, system slow downs after mere weeks, and all the hassle that comes along with it. I am in no way a mac fanboy, but after going back to windows for just a few hours, it makes me love my mac side of my HDD all over again.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Congrats...
    I find it funny that you have a link to mroogle in your sig.

3. boston44 macrumors 6502

So basically, Leopard is better than Windows. Most people here agree.

4. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Very true. But I think a lot of people really forget after awhile why they originally switched over.

5. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I installed Win7 a week ago. I'm already cleaning out the registry and disabling Adobe startup programs. :D I also uninstalled a rather large application and there's still bits and pieces of it floating around my drive.

The more things change... the more they stay the same.

To this day, after 20 years of using Windows it's still freaking amazing to me how anything runs on that OS. You're always one DLL file away from catastrophe.

6. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Well I just thought id share this story with others. Im sure theres a ton of people who can relate haha.

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Lol I've never owned a Windows PC or used a Windows OS, I've had Mac since I got my first computer...:D

9. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Lucky you haha. Its not often you meet someone like that lol. Usually its the other way around.

10. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

I'm tempted to install Windows on my Macbook to run Office and some games, but I don't want to risk screwing up the files on the HDD in the process. Is it easy to destroy the Windows partition without harming the half that OSX is on?

11. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

In my experience it was just as easy to remove the partition as it was to add it via BootCamp Assistant.

Why don't you look into Office for Mac, or if you rarely use it you may be able to get by with OpenOffice? (lacks some of the features of MS Office, but it's free) You could also run Windows in virtualization using Parallels or something of the like if you're not comfortable using BootCamp.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Putting Windows on it's own partition won't damage OS X. Windows doesn't read OS X's HDD partition format, so no worries.

13. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Another one over here :D Been using Mac's since before I can remember, long before Windows PCs.

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

*looks around college student lounge*

Nope. They're all Dell and Toshiba laptops, except for a single macbook over in that corner. And it seems like everyone's using their horrible virus infected PC's productively. I'm sorry you dislike your Windows experience, but let's not generalize, some people *me* don't have any issues running Windows 7 on anemic hardware.

15. a350 macrumors regular

I am going on 3 weeks, that is 3 weeks since switching from my Windows PC to my Mac Pro, no complaints.

I switched because my wife wanted a new laptop and she was getting tired of her HP laptop running good and fast for a month or so then being all slow again.
    So she wanted the 13" macbook pro, so I got the Mac Pro at the same time.

I still use my old pc as a dvr and media extender, and I still use windows for microsoft money, but I haven't put windows on my mac pro and probably wont, I have it on my old mac mini and it runs perfectly fine on it, better then it does on a HP or Dell.

16. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

hhHhhhAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAAHAH
    wow.

17. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

What's a Windows PC computer like to use? And its funny that Windows runs better on Mac hardware than PC hardware...

18. a350 macrumors regular

windows works fine, windows is a great operating system, the problem is the hardware, apple would have just as many problems if they let OSX be used on all the cheap hardware that windows is used on.

it's a shame that most people compare Microsoft to Apple, when they should really be comparing Apple to HP, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Accer etc...

and then compare OSX to Microsoft Windows, but that is only fair when both OS's are on the same hardware.

My main reason for switching is the fact the the same company makes my OS and my hardware, and they work well together, for the most part, OSX is not perfect.

The reason Windows runs better on a mac then most PC's is that Apple has a very limited number of computer and configurations, so it's easier for them to get it right than for Microsoft to figure out how to get Windows to run perfectly on a nearly infinite number of configurations, blame the PC manufactures for that.

19. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Ah I see... I've never had any problems on Mac OSX though. Windows users could always use Mac hardware, they have their same Windows OS, but it will run better...

20. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

That's a good point. Another thing is that, for whatever reason, many viruses and malware are written specifically for Windows. With a bit of caution and some common sense, many of those could probably be avoided. I own both a Macbook and a Windows PC and have had no issues with either.

21. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

if anything, snow leopard is making me go BACK to windows. SL = buggy piece of garbage. i boot into windows 7 more than osx on my macbook now.

22. KielderWolf macrumors regular

KielderWolf

I have only ever owned one PC computer (an Iridium Starbook if you would care to avoid them) and it caught fire. Twice. Whilst I'm sure this wasn't the fault of WinXP, it goes to further prove the point that regardless of how (un)stable your software is, plonk it on some rubbish hardware and it'll all end in flames.

As far as my experience with Windows goes, I still hold that out of all the code that has spewed forth from Redmond, Win98 SP3 is still the best. XP was good I'll grant you, but it got shot of DOS, and so none of my old games worked, which sucked.

Though by that token, Apple did the same with OS X. They scuppered all the 'Classic' code. But at least they allowed PPC machines to run the 'Classic' environment to run old programmes not built for OS X. Heck it was six years after Apple dropped Motorola processors altogether before they dropped support for them in versions of the OS that hadn't a hope in Hell even running on a Motorola equipped machine!

Back to Windows though... despite nobody in the house (I'm a student renting with some mates) owning a Windows 7 machine, I've had a few goes on it and apart from the extensive list of things lifted and poorly implemented form OS X and Ubuntu/Debian, it runs quite well. Though that said, the machine I was using was a Quad-core behemoth with 8GB RAM...

23. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

If you are doing anything graphics intensive, you certainly don't want any virus that attacks a PCs speed and efficiency.

24. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Actually... I've had Apple tell me that my hard drive was breaking because it took my OS X so long to boot... and it wasn't that my hard drive was breaking (it's still working a year later), but instead there were just so many start up processes, just like on Windows. It's got nothing to do with the hardware, it has everything to do with the pre-installed crapware.

25. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

um how could it possibly have nothing to do with hardware? that doesn't even make sense. obviously hard drives fail sometimes.