Wired: iPhones Send Your Location Data to Apple Every 12 Hours

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SomeDudeAsking, Apr 25, 2011.

1. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/04/iphone-location-opt-out/

Steve Jobs is Big Brother. Why the F does Steve Jobs do this? Why the F is Apple making the iPhone phone home every 12 hours with my location history? Also, could this be the cause of the horrible battery life some users see after updates caused by the iPhone trying to phone home again and again if unsuccessful?

2. JD914, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011

JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Apple needs to cease and desist from these shenanigans.:rolleyes:

3. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Is there a single bad thing Apple could do with your location data?

4. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

Why don't you get a tracking device implanted from Homeland "Security" if you think like that?

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

A lot of people are confused, because...

There are apparently TWO different things going on:

1) The "newly" discovered database, which is simply a receive-only cache of responses to location data requests using cell and hotspot info.

In other words, every time your phone needs a quick location using cell or hotspot, it looks first in this cache to keep it from having to use up battery and network resources asking Apple for their location over and over again. (Think about the cell tower and hotspot at your home, for instance.)

This database, while not totally harmless, is an innocent developer mistake. (It should've been encrypted or truncated.) It is NOT sent to Apple.

2) The known twice or more daily transmission of discovered cells and hotspots when the phone uses internal GPS to resolve a location request. This is used to build up Apple's database used above in (1) when GPS is not available or necessary. Reportedly this is done over WiFi to conserve data costs.

6. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

You cant be serious! :mad::rolleyes::mad:

7. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Since you didn't actually answer my question I'll assume that is a "no, the media is just freaking out over nothing and there isn't a single bad thing i could think of that Apple could do with our location data" ;)

8. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

If I go to a stripper bar, Apple doesn't need to know, nor do the engineers that map all the location data.

9. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Even if they did, who cares? There isn't a single thing Apple would actually do with that data.

10. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh, you don't know the first thing about voyeurs or OCD people like Steve Jobs that have a fetish for this sort of thing and stalk you.

11. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Apple wont do anything perhaps but the data can be subpenaed by law enforcement and used against the user. It happens all the time with email.

Bad move by Apple.

12. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, and with the type of farcical "law" enforcement at Guantamano Bay that the NY Times showed yesterday, there really isn't any "law" other than what a-holes feel like.

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Well according to Steve, Apple is not collecting any personal information.

14. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

Like there is no antennae issue.......

15. ap3604 macrumors 68000

So as long as your not doing illegal sh•t then this doesn't even affect you. Personally I'd be happy if someone falsely identified me in a crime that I could have the police look up my location data to verify I wasn't there at all.

So the only negative thing that apple would actually do with this data is help law enforcement catch people committing crimes? Sounds like a real negative all right :rolleyes:

16. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

So why don't you just let TSA agents go through all the files on your laptop every time you cross the border?

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Did you even read what you posted? There's no way for Apple to know that based on what you yourself posted in the first place.

18. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Where you are and and what time isn't personal information? Ok thanks for clearing that up :rolleyes:

I'm glad Apple has it's users best interest at hand :rolleyes:

19. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

If they see your english paper, who cares? What do you have on your computer that is so secretive? (I'm speaking in general, not directly at you).

20. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh, suuuuuuuuuure. Because Steve Jobs claims so just like Steve Jobs claims there was no antennae issue. All the location data for a device sent to Apple is tied to an "anonymized" id. Now, how easy would it be for Apple to match that "anonymized" id with the IP address and UUID of the device phoning home to send Steve Jobs my location history? You have my iPhone phoning home every 12 hours, it's a cinch to de-anonymize.

21. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

So if someone were to (god forbid) get murdered about the same time and location I'm at there's not a chance that I will be falsely convicted or at the least questioned?

People get convicted by false DNA tests all the time, GPS is not even as accurate as DNA.

This shouldn't even be an issue because Apple shouldn't have started this to begin with.

It's amazing how Apple fanatics find a way to justify Apple's dirty deeds.

22. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Why do you think Steve Jobs actually cares about your phone? Or any of the other x million of users???

23. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

How about nude pictures of your girlfriend? Or an Apple employee with drawings for the iPhone 5?

24. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

With all due respect you're a gullible person

25. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well why did you quote things if you don't believe them?

Here's some facts!
    They're not true!

Ok. Worthless thread then. Thanks for wasting our time with a thread all about things you don't even believe.

Ok, so it's not anonymous data. Then why did he start a thread with a quote saying it is?

I guess you get his reasons because I sure don't. Maybe you can explain it to me.