Wireless M Mouse & Keyboard Lose Connection Effecting New 09 iMacs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mattcooper, Mar 21, 2009.

1. mattcooper macrumors member

mattcooper

Hey Everyone
    I just purchased a new iMac 24" 2009 Model.

I also got a Wireless Mighty Mouse & Wireless keyboard.

I have owned the system for 6 days and each day the Mighty Mouse and keyboard will lose connection and require me to hold the power button down on the imac to restart the system.

I called apple and was told to do a "Option Command R P" Reset.
    This did not fix the problem... I then called them again and was told to format the system.. This did not fix the problem.. I replaced the batteries, turned bluetooth off on any near by devices changed my 802.11 freq to a different channel.

Still drops out each day...

Ideas? Feedback? Same problem?

P.S
    It seems from information collected from other forums that this is effecting mainly the new alum 2009 imac...I am starting to think this is now hardware.

Also something I noticed.. Brand new FRESH Energizer Ultimate Batteries $25. I put them into the mighty mouse. 1 day later iStat reports the mouse is at 73%!! thats a big drop in 1 day

2. numix macrumors newbie

go to universal access . under mouse . turn off mouse key.

hope it works
    i just purchased and the mouse and keyboard was working and then it just stopped. so hope it works for ya. it works now for me

3. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Yeah. I got my 24" iMac on the 12th and bought them from the Apple online store with the wired keyboard and mouse because i didn't want to wait 1-3 days for it to ship. Well, i bought a wireless Mighty Mouse and i have the same problem sometimes. I have a Logitech Revolution wireless mouse (USB jump drive type plugin) and when my Mighty Mouse freezes i use the Logitech mouse to go to Bluetooth on my menu bar and disconnect/reconnect my Mighty Mouse. It does it a few times a day. Not a major problem, but it's a pain. Hopefully there's a fix for this soon.

4. hard graft macrumors newbie

wireless keyboard, mouse and graphics tablet problems

We're having the same problem too with the keyboard and mouse losing connection a few times each day, it's really annoying. Even more annoying is that we can't connect our wireless wacom tablet. It worked without a glitch on the MacBook Pro so it's definitely an iMac problem.

Thinking if we should send the iMac back or just the keyboard and mouse, really frustrating when you choose wireless but then feel like you should just go back to wired to save the hassle!

James // www.hard-graft.com

5. mattcooper thread starter macrumors member

mattcooper

Just called Apple... There doing a DOA for me.. YAY.. I did say I think I want to change back to wired.. But the guy was like this problem is a one off problem with your current iMac you should be fine with your new one..

So im staying wireless lol

Regards
    Matt
    (Ill post back with results when I get my new iMac)

6. hard graft macrumors newbie

Brand new iMac replaced due to Bluetooth problem

It's going back, let's hope the new one is free of the Bluetooth disease!

7. Lordedmond macrumors regular

Not quite the answer you want but my new 9.1 Imac is fine with the wireless Kb and Mouse

8. RichardI macrumors 6502a

RichardI

This isn't going to help anyone, but what the heck here goes anyway. I have tried all the tricks I have seen mentioned here and more that were not. I have a 2007 aluminum iMac and I absolutely love it. I purchased a wireless Mighty Mouse at my local Future Shop. I brought it home, put new alkaline batteries in it (2) and fired 'er up. Did not like the tracking so I got a Logitech cordless and tried that. Worked great with the LCC so I used it, but every time I looked at that ugly mouse sitting in fron of my beautiful iMac I cringed. After discovering SteerMouse, I reinstalled my wireless Mighty Mouse about 3 weeeks ago, and it worked great! Awesome! Until about two weeks ago.
    Then, without warning the mouse would not track. Click worked OK and scroll, but no tracking. Argggh.:mad: Back to the Logitech. Nothing I have tried has worked, and I've tried everything. Bottom line: I have come to the conclusion that the problem could be with the Apple implementation of Bluetooth. I'm hoping either 10.5.7 or 10.6.0 will fix the issue. My Logitech mouse still looks like a sick dolphin.
    Rich :cool:

9. RichardI macrumors 6502a

RichardI

I'm relatively new to Macs so bear with me. What exactly is that command? Can I do it? If I can, how? I'd love to get my WMM working.

Thanks,

Rich :cool:

10. Sebby macrumors 6502a

Same here.

11. JBWade macrumors newbie

Don't waste your money on "Ultimate" lithium batteries. These are designed for quick, high discharge use (think of a camera flash). As such, they're not really optimized for steady, low-draw use (like a wireless mouse).

It's much cheaper to use alkaline batteries for this application...and they will probably even last longer than the lithium variety. In fact, in terms of $$ per year, you're actually better off using el-cheapo batteries (think Ray-o-Vac). This will give you 85% of the battery lifetime of Energizer alkaline, for about 1/3 of the price.

(By the way, I know what I'm talking about. I am a battery engineer with a Ph.D. in ElectroChemical Engineering)

12. txnoob macrumors 6502

I would love to have a line like that. And you didn't even sound like an A$$, just informative. :D Good to know. Thanks much.

And if you had anything to do with the new NIMH Slow discharge rechargeables such as eneloops by sanyo, thanks for that too. My digital SLR loves them.

13. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Ok.. i've gotten my wireless keyboard from Best Buy and it seems as though the problem is ONLY with my wireless Mighty Mouse. My keyboard is working perfectly. Hm. Could it just be a bad mouse?

14. The Ditch macrumors newbie

I have the same problem, it's extremely frustrating.

15. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Actually, mine seems to be doing a lot better now. One freeze up per day, if that. The wireless keyboard has been perfect and the mouse isn't nearly as bad. I've downloaded some updates.. they were all iLife though so i doubt it effected Bluetooth.

16. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

I have that problem with my rev B MBA, but I don't have to press the power button, just tap the keys a few times.

17. BashStreetYouth macrumors member

Got a Wireless mouse and keyboard a few days ago and had 3 freeze ups in the last couple of days. What's the consensus? Can it be fixed through an update? Only had the iMac just over a week and this is putting a right dampener on things. :mad:

18. And macrumors 6502

And

Just to add my voice... I'm having the same problems with a wireless MM and a mac mini. At first I thought the computer was freezing up, but no, it's just the mouse is dropped for some reason... arg. Sometimes pressing the power button to go to sleep and waking up again solves it, but sometimes a restart is necessary. As someone returning to macs after 10 years I was hoping OS niggles like this were a thing of the past. It seems not... :-(

19. Sebby macrumors 6502a

This is quite strange. I can honestly say that I haven't had a single issue with my wireless keyboard and MM on my 2009 iMac.

20. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Mine isn't losing connection so much now, but the cursor still skips all over the place a lot. Blah. I hope hey release an update soon. This sucks.

21. mattcooper thread starter macrumors member

mattcooper

*****UPDATE*****

So the replacement imac arrived.. I hardly used it for 4 days because i was scared really..

I then had to do a short email and suddenly it lost connection..

So I im now allmost 100% sure its a software or inferance problem..

Really not happy with apple anymore

22. Lordedmond macrumors regular

bet it does not loose its connection while it sleeps , eg that you can always wake it up with a mouse click

23. mattcooper thread starter macrumors member

mattcooper

Thats correct
    ???

24. hkip37 macrumors member

is there a trick when calling them to get someone who speaks english??

called a few minutes ago and all she had me do was clean the mouse, and e-mail me instructions on how to clean the stupid thing like i didn't already know how

i don't think she understood me trying to explain bluetooth

25. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Nice. Sometimes it helps to ask to speak to a manager.