Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you want Apple to hire the top Cydia app talent and make their work part of iOS?

• Yes

Votes: 67 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 67 50.0%

• Total voters

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Kinda defeatist don't you think? The point is that we shouldn't have to jailbreak to get things like SMS that doesn't kick you out of an app you're on in order to reply.

And why would Apple have to hire somebody just to do that?

If they want to do that they're perfectly capable of doing it on their own.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Jailbreaking is the only thing keeping some people on the iPhone

Not exactly the demographic Apple is most concerned about! :)

and that fact alone should spur Apple into implementing these features, with or without jailbreak devs. (preferably with, because its those people who understand consumer demand the most)

Good one! :D:D:D

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
And why would Apple have to hire somebody just to do that?

If they want to do that they're perfectly capable of doing it on their own.

You believe apple have thought up every idea ever and are purposely not implementing features? OR "people" actually work at apple and it's not completely out of the question that a person that doesn't work for apple has a good idea?

They might not need better programs just people with better ideas.

Or apple can just take the idea and claim it as theirs. There's a name for that.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
You believe apple have thought up every idea ever and are purposely not implementing features? OR "people" actually work at apple and it's not completely out of the question that a person that doesn't work for apple has a good idea?

Or apple can just take the idea and claim it as theirs. There's a name for that.

If only people in this forum could differentiate between the legal copying of ideas and IP theft, a lot of arguments could be avoided.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Not exactly the demographic Apple is most concerned about! :)
The average consumer is pants-on-head retarded, but some of them listen to the tech-savvy among us who want these jailbreak features.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
The average consumer is pants-on-head retarded, but some of them listen to the tech-savvy among us who want these jailbreak features.

How completely elitist of you! :rolleyes:

The fact remains that only a small percentage of iOS users jailbreak. And a significant percentage of those are pirating software (either Apple's or iOS developers'.) What's in it for Apple to target this group?

Cydia sees 4.5 million users/week out of 350 million iOS device sold.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
How completely elitist of you! :rolleyes:

The fact remains that only a small percentage of iOS users jailbreak. And a significant percentage of those are pirating software (either Apple's or iOS developers'.) What's in it for Apple to target this group?

Cydia sees 4.5 million users/week out of 350 million iOS device sold.
You're right. Apple has us by the short hairs. We'll never see anything from them other than development at a comically-slow pace as part of a devious plot to deceive its users into accepting the illusion that proper development takes AGES and the intelligent/resourceful among us will have no choice but to migrate to Windows Phone, Android and Tizen for a real OS rather than the old-people OS Apple has.

Sigh. And my thread was hopeful...until Baldimac squeezed all the hope out.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Ha ha...ok, so let's say you're in charge of Apple. You hire one guy to turn his jailbreak text-program into an official app.

Then, about 34 other guys who wrote similar programs come forward. Since you don't want to steal their work you have to hire them too. Then, guess what...there are a bunch of Android developers who show you a similar program.

Pretty soon you're paying 100 guys to sit in a room doing nothing so that they can "work on" a program that the first guy already finished. All so that no one can call Apple a thief for copying a basic concept. Not code, mind you. Just a concept.

You really think Apple should do this?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
If Apple doesn't do something, it's because they don't want to, not because they can't.

Precisely. Apple doesn't want the iPhone to have most of the capabilities that Cydia developers have added via tweaks because they do not fit with Apple's design philosophy or because they require too much access to the system. Anything that Apple does like in the jailbreak community they can add themselves (WiFi sync, notification center, tethering, etc.).

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Didnt they hire the JB dev that made MobileNotifier to work for them on the current iOS notification center?
I think they do get many ideas and some talent from the JB scene but they implement the stuff slow or sometimes they dont agree or like them at all.
Its their decision I guess and even though a cydia package is very popular and everyone installs it on their JB devices unfortunatelly doesnt mean that it will make it down the road to a stock firmware update.
That's why JB will always be there to fill in for us that want more options and more controll over our devices and not just what Apple decides to give us.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I am afraid if they buy too much of the jailbreak community they might take away our ability to JB. If they just allowed SBsettings I would be set. There are other things I like too.

Having a JB community also keeps Apple on their toes, and it keep them on top of the security game and on top of the "moving forward" game.

Apple has expanded what they allow on the app store, if you were an early iOS user there were a lot of things you couldn't do with iOS Stock that they now allow. Cydia is competition and competition is good. A couple of things I can think of off the type of my head that as spawned from the JB community is the notification center and wifi sync.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Apple should hire the hackers behind the jailbreaks to help security and general iOS development. Facebook already poached geohot but there's obviously plenty more left.

And yes, they should hire the devs of Cydia apps to enhance user experience too :D

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
And yes, they should hire the devs of Cydia apps to enhance user experience too :D

In some cases they could do this, but they will most likely then be told what they can and cannot make for an app.

If they work for Cydia they can make whatever they want, and what people want. This competition between "app store" and "cydia" is good. (and frustrating)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
A couple of things I can think of off the type of my head that as spawned from the JB community is the notification center and wifi sync.

I agree.
Also installer came before the Appstore back in the 1.0 days of the original iphones.
Also copy/paste, icloud, wifisync, internet sharing/tethering and many other things that JB iphones had available way before Apple decided to implement them to their next iOS release.
Here's some more examples.
■Camera volume button snap – FastSnap, SnapTap, CameraButtons
■Camera editing enhancements – Snapture
■Access camera from lockscreen – Snappy
■Photo albums in Photo – PhotoAlbums+
■Private browsing in Safari – Covert
■Wi-Fi sync with iTunes – Wi-Fi Sync
■Use while syncing with iTunes – Synchronicity, FreeSync
■Enhancements to Mail – Mail Enhancer
■Rich text in Mail – Rich Text
■Mark multiple emails as read – Mark Read
■Delete individual calls – Call Delete, MobileLog
■Text shortcuts – Xpandr
■New gestures – Activator
■Custom vibrations - Vibrafications, MyProfiles
■Dictionary – “Define” Action Menu Plugin
■Tone Store – AnyRing, ToneFXs
■Emoji – Vmoji
■Stream HD Youtube content – My3G
■FaceTime over 3G – My3G, FaceBreak
■Contact pictures integrated in message display – ChatPic

So before some of you hate and talk down towards the JB scene realize that if Jailbreaking didnt exist you probably wouldnt have many of the stock features you have available now on your iOS device.

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
I don't care either way... It doesn't affect us. If anything, I'd want them to not hire them because that would mean there are less developers developing jailbroken apps that Apple doesn't think we need.

It seems as though people are assuming that if they hire a cydia dev, they are automatically going to put that dev's app in iOS. That's simply not the case.

For any app/feature that exists in the JB community, they already have the talent to replicate (read: steal) it. Just like the notification center: they didn't need to hire Google and Palm developers to steal the notification systems from Android and WebOS.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
For any app/feature that exists in the JB community, they already have the talent to replicate (read: steal) it. Just like the notification center: they didn't need to hire Google and Palm developers to steal the notification systems from Android and WebOS.

"Steal" being used in the non-legal, antagonistic sense.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Antagonistic? In what way? Sheesh some macrumors people get butthurt over the smallest things and infer things that were never implied... :cool:

Fine, not steal.

Rather... copy, clone, mimic, replicate...

If you didn't mean to imply that replicating functionality is wrong by using the word "steal" instead of your original "replicate", than I apologize for assuming.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I agree.
Also installer came before the Appstore back in the 1.0 days of the original iphones.
Also copy/paste, icloud, wifisync, internet sharing/tethering and many other things that JB iphones had available way before Apple decided to implement them to their next iOS release.
Here's some more examples.
■Camera volume button snap – FastSnap, SnapTap, CameraButtons
■Camera editing enhancements – Snapture
■Access camera from lockscreen – Snappy
■Photo albums in Photo – PhotoAlbums+
■Private browsing in Safari – Covert
■Wi-Fi sync with iTunes – Wi-Fi Sync
■Use while syncing with iTunes – Synchronicity, FreeSync
■Enhancements to Mail – Mail Enhancer
■Rich text in Mail – Rich Text
■Mark multiple emails as read – Mark Read
■Delete individual calls – Call Delete, MobileLog
■Text shortcuts – Xpandr
■New gestures – Activator
■Custom vibrations - Vibrafications, MyProfiles
■Dictionary – “Define” Action Menu Plugin
■Tone Store – AnyRing, ToneFXs
■Emoji – Vmoji
■Stream HD Youtube content – My3G
■FaceTime over 3G – My3G, FaceBreak
■Contact pictures integrated in message display – ChatPic

So before some of you hate and talk down towards the JB scene realize that if Jailbreaking didnt exist you probably wouldnt have many of the stock features you have available now on your iOS device.

What, because Apple wouldn't have added ANY features that the JB community happened to develope before Apple implimented them? I'm sure there were no other phones on the market either that had the features you're talking about. So either:

Apple creates iOS--->JB improve it--->apple steals from JB community

OR

Apple creates iOS--->other phones on the market/in development have features iPhone doesn't--->JB community implements some of these features--->Apple implements some of these features.

Seriously, when wifi sync was initially being requested it was because other phones had the ability to do it, and now it's only there because of the JB community? Get off your horse and deflate your egos.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The things that are on Cydia remain there because Apple doesn't give devs the proper permissions. They have, and will, just incorporate features they think are worth adding to iOS. The kicker is that they essentially cannibalize these ideas, for free. There is literally no incentive to hire these people.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
What, because Apple wouldn't have added ANY features that the JB community happened to develope before Apple implimented them? I'm sure there were no other phones on the market either that had the features you're talking about. So either:

Apple creates iOS--->JB improve it--->apple steals from JB community

OR

Apple creates iOS--->other phones on the market/in development have features iPhone doesn't--->JB community implements some of these features--->Apple implements some of these features.

Seriously, when wifi sync was initially being requested it was because other phones had the ability to do it, and now it's only there because of the JB community? Get off your horse and deflate your egos.

I didn't say no other device had those features before.
But the jb community played a big role wether you like to admit it or not.

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
The truth is Apple could put every known tweak/feature/app known to mankind today on their phones, but come tomorrow someone would come out with a new idea or a different way of handling a task, and there are some who would immediately complain that Apple is too controlling and not allowing the iPhone to work as it should.

You know how Apple iPhones work. Buy one or not, it's your choice. Jailbreak or not, it's your choice, but don't sit there and whine about the this feature or that feature. It's pointless, like this thread!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
The truth is Apple could put every known tweak/feature/app known to mankind today on their phones, but come tomorrow someone would come out with a new idea or a different way of handling a task, and there are some who would immediately complain that Apple is too controlling and not allowing the iPhone to work as it should.

You know how Apple iPhones work. Buy one or not, it's your choice. Jailbreak or not, it's your choice, but don't sit there and whine about the this feature or that feature. It's pointless, like this thread!

I agree with your general idea however they are just to restrictive. Like not being able to set default apps, and apps not having the ability to better interact with system functions.

This is my work phone so just sucking it up is a better option for me personally. Although I see nothing wrong for wishing things were a little different.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
So when apple takes (copies, steals) features only offered in cydia and implements them into iOS (notifications, camera from lock screen, etc) that makes them what?

So say I build a house. I furnish that house. I pay for the land under the house, the carpenters to build that house, the architects that designed it, the taxes and mortgage and all fees on that house. Its my house. I have the keys.

Now I invite you to come live in my house, maybe as a renter. I charge you a small fee. I tell you what part of the house you can move about freely and what parts are off limits. You sign that agreement....in tech talk, we call this a EULA usually. But just go with the simple house metaphor.

Now, as the landlord, I walk into the house one day, MY house, and you've broken into the parts of the house that were off limits to your use. Not only that, but you've turned my living room into YOUR living room, set up a dance pole and started up a strip club there. You freely invite all of your friends into MY house and claim "Hey, its MY STRIP CLUB" and then want me to somehow hire you as the general manager of this strip club you've set up in MY HOUSE because well hey...there are nude chicks dancing there and who doesn't want THAT in their living room? In fact you've got a whopping twelve other paying friends who want to see nude chicks in MY LIVING ROOM and I should be thanking you, no no no, I mean HIRING you for making MY LIVING ROOM into this better place.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up the mentality of the Cydia community. Its not their house. They didn't do anything creative or inventive. They took a great product with a cohesive design from other great minds and they hacked it to do things that weren't part of the product roadmap. Maybe sometimes, they created things that were part of future roadmap items and so brought them to light faster. And in doing so, maybe I'll even acknowledge that they 'expanded horizons' at Apple Labs. But Apple owns all the IP they designed on their OS. And you've turned it into the equivalent of a seedy, second-rate strip club because, again, a whole whopping TWELVE paying customers somehow know better and care more about the future of that product than Apple does, right? Did I mention the nekkid chicks? IN THE LIVING ROOM! WHAT A CONCEPT!

That makes Apple a responsible landlord and the Cydia 'developers' (more like disruptive hackers) just irresponsible geeks with no appreciation for intellectual property rights. Oh, ahem, until its THEIR HOUSE that gets trampled. As is evidenced by all the posts here and elsewhere that Cydia is somehow the 'savior of the iPhone' for all the 'great contributions' that have been made to the success of the platform. If anything, I'd argue Cydia and the Jailbreaking community have done more harm to the success of the of the iPhone than any single group on the planet. We could start with the whole 'free tethering!!!!111!!!!" apps as an end to unlimited data plans, or jump immediately to the 'liberating apps' like Installous if you prefer. But hey....every ecosystem has their share of farting apps. At least the farting apps are only obnoxious, not outright damaging to the brand.

The only Cydia developers worth spit are the ones that figured out how to play professionally and legally within the boundaries of Apples ecosystem. We call these men and women "App Store Developers."

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.