Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Already have jailbroken iOS 5. Because not many apps/tweaks have been fixed for it yet, I'm only running a few that have. UISettings (like SBSettings for the Notification Center) with iRetiner++ theme (the default is hideous), MobileTerminal and iFile.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
It wasn't a conscious reference to you, but I do think that I got the phrase from your signature.

What are corporations targeting linux users? I haven't heard about that.

I'm not actually referring to Linux. I'm using it as a metaphor to all the tether-holics who don't have an appropriate plan on any carrier. Especially towards all the people who download the whole internet on their computer using their phones data plan.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I'm not actually referring to Linux. I'm using it as a metaphor to all the tether-holics who don't have an appropriate plan on any carrier. Especially towards all the people who download the whole internet on their computer using their phones data plan.

I've never gone over 5GB in a month. I use tethering only for when I need to look something up at school. I wish that I could just tether with my 5GB soft cap. I don't think that I should have to pay extra for that.

I would consider it rude to use tethering to download anything big, because it steals from the people around me, and raises rates.

Invincibilizer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Don't fret about OTA! If we can put a man on the moon[debatable, but thats for another day]I'm sure a Cydia developer can make a tweak that 'hides' all the jailbreak files from the search.

Wait, so Apple automatically updates the phone if OTA catches that its not up to current firmware?

I thought all we had to do was jailbreak, turn OTA off and then we're good?

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
Wait, so Apple automatically updates the phone if OTA catches that its not up to current firmware?

I thought all we had to do was jailbreak, turn OTA off and then we're good?

You have it backwards. OTA updates would not be able to 'remove' the jailbreak already installed on the device as you still retain the firmware. All an OTA can do is patch the exploit that the jailbreak already took advantage of. Apple knows this and many well sourced rumors have gone hand to hand stating how they will block updates to your device if found being jailbroken.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
There's literally nothing I need coming in iOS 5, plus everything that makes my phone a valuable tool instead of a toy already comes from the jailbreaking scene. Most of the tweaks I'm running aren't likely to ever be part of iOS at this rate, like blocking calls and having more than twelve items in a folder.

No upgrading here until a stable, untethered JB is available for the new firmware. And no buying the new phone until someone's JB’d that as well.

SteveKnobs

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
CMU
yep, gotta have quick reply with bitesms. Can't stand leaving my app to reply to a message

Totally agree. Bite is the only reason I jailbroke my iP4. I often want to restore to factory settings (sometimes things are buggy) but the ease and convenience of BiteSMS always convinces me otherwise.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
In the beginning I'll keep it stock (like my iPad), but if I end up needing a jailbreak feature down the road then I will jailbreak.

What I wanted, for a very long time was to make an empty home screen, i.e no apps. I want to open my iPhone to a gorgeous wallpaper, admiring retina display. And then i'd slide my finger to the left for the apps.
I like to keep my desktop clean, and it's the same for my Mac as well.

You can do that with stock IOS. You just need to move all the icons from the first page to any other page (on your iPhone). Then your first page will be empty.

I'm contemplating just for the fact that I would like to hide Newsstand, Contacts, Compass and if possible, Game Center.

I know that everyone says to just put them in a folder and place it on the last page, but for some reason Apple decided to make Newsstand act just like a folder (thus not allowing me to place it in another folder).

That's annoying. Hopefully I get some use from NewsStand otherwise it'll be such a nuisance.

Yes, because I need to steal spectrum from my wireless company and tether with my unlimited data.

Haha, very eloquently put.

Andy Ftw

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
Definitely, personally.

There are just many mobilesubstrate addons and tweaks that I have found either extremeley useful or just pretty cool :)

Things like Gridlock, Icon Renamer, SBSettings (or BBSettings now maybe), InfiniDock, Switchboard. Things which I unfortunately can not change on the stock version of the iOS.

And then there is WinterBoard. A lot of people hate, or don't even bother with it but personally I like swapping themes from time to time and changing things around. Sure, it's not for everyone, but personally I love it :p

iOS 5 has gone a short distance in replacing things I use from Cydia (Mark read & OpenTabBackground is all I think of for me, personally), although obviously the lockscreen additions, notification changes are awesome extras but there will always be something extra that Cydia will offer me personally :)

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
No. I don't have any need to jailbreak anyway. Sure the extras may be nice, but I'm happy with what I've had. The last time I jail broke was on iPhone OS 1.1.4

Invincibilizer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
You have it backwards. OTA updates would not be able to 'remove' the jailbreak already installed on the device as you still retain the firmware. All an OTA can do is patch the exploit that the jailbreak already took advantage of. Apple knows this and many well sourced rumors have gone hand to hand stating how they will block updates to your device if found being jailbroken.

So this would happen

1-I buy FIFA11

2-I jailbreak

3-FIFA11 won't update since Apple sees that my device is jailbroken'ed?

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
I JB'd my iPhone right away, but went back to stock as soon as iOS5 was announced. I've kept it stock for several months now and REALLY can't wait to see how iOS5 stacks up against being jailbroken. The difference between stock 4.x and JB 4.x is huge. So much more flexibility and convenience. Going back to stock is like being set back in time. So here's hoping iOS5 meets expectations. Looking forward to it.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
whats wrong with just putting it on the last page with the folder of contacts, compass etc? if you don't go to the page, it doesn't matter if it's not in a folder.

Practicality wise that is a perfect solution, but wanting to stuff it in a folder or hide it is more of an OCD thing. I prefer not having apps that I don't use. In my eyes it just takes up unnecessary physical room and clutters up my perfectly organised home screen (almost everything in folders, arranged alphabetically, with my apps within the folders also arranged alphabetically). So randomly having newsstand among all my folders would just be an eyesore to me.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
In America
You can do that with stock IOS. You just need to move all the icons from the first page to any other page (on your iPhone). Then your first page will be empty.

Really? What i remember is that if you move the last icon of that page to another page, then the page you were on disappears, i.e you lose the page your last icon was on.
Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Already have jailbroken iOS 5. Because not many apps/tweaks have been fixed for it yet, I'm only running a few that have. UISettings (like SBSettings for the Notification Center) with iRetiner++ theme (the default is hideous), MobileTerminal and iFile.

How good is UISettings compared to SBSettings?
Also, do you recommend iFile?

---

I was also wondering, does anybody think the Nuance voice control be limited specifically for the iPhone 5?

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Really? What i remember is that if you move the last icon of that page to another page, then the page you were on disappears, i.e you lose the page your last icon was on.
Please correct me if i'm wrong.

---

I was also wondering, does anybody think the Nuance voice control be limited specifically for the iPhone 5?

Yeah, all you have to do is move the apps from the first page to any of the other pages. It will then remain empty (although this only seems to work on the first home page and only if you do it on your device and not iTunes). I have done this on my fourth gen iPod touch so I can confirm it works. As for the Nuance thing, I think it'll be an IOS5 feature, and not limited by hardware (although Apple may choose not to support it on 3GS).

RagnarokRed

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
Yes, if only for the simplest of things like 3G unrestrictor that make using the iphone even better, imo.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
With iCloud to backup app data etc I'd be more open to jailbreaking than ever before, maybe I'd finally give it a shot. Probably not though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.