With iOS 5, will you still jailbreak your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Reach9, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I guess the major concerns have been dealt already thanks to iOS 5. But there are small tweaks here and there which I would love to have.

So my question is, will you still jailbreak your iPhone? Or is the stock iOS 5 enough for you?

What I wanted, for a very long time was to make an empty home screen, i.e no apps. I want to open my iPhone to a gorgeous wallpaper, admiring retina display. And then i'd slide my finger to the left for the apps.
    I like to keep my desktop clean, and it's the same for my Mac as well.

2. tygrubb macrumors regular

Yes.

Can't live without SBSettings. Though I'm gonna have to get used to a new of activating it now. :)

3. Liquinn Suspended

Probably not, I've not jailbroken my iPhone or iPad, no need to. I guess as they say, if you haven't done it, you can't miss it.

4. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not unless someone adds SBSettings to Notification Center (which is fairly likely). And to answer the question, yeah, I'll definitely be jailbreaking as soon as a method is released (preferably jailbreakme.com, but with Comex no longer running it...who knows).

5. wburch84 macrumors newbie

yep, gotta have quick reply with bitesms. Can't stand leaving my app to reply to a message

6. kolax macrumors G3

The lock screen with iOS 5 is a big improvement, but not enough. I need more info (upcoming calendar appointments for that day for example).

I've never JB for themes or visual customisation. I've done it for things like informative lock screens, and other useful things.

7. Alex-H macrumors newbie

You get these with iOS 5...

8. ann713, Sep 10, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011

ann713 macrumors 6502a

What notifications are shown in iOS 5's lock screen? I've seen screen shots of calendar events and SMS previews, but what else?

9. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I've kept every iPhone stock.

Conversely I've rooted every Android I've had because there's so much more you can do with it.

I know this because my brother jailbreaks his iPhones. While I'm not being critical of iOS, it's just a fact that there's a lot more fun in modifying an Android phone.

One of the drawbacks that I'm really tired of, is the tiny screen on the iPhone. Once you have a true widescreen 4.3" which is a true 16:9, there's no substitute. It's a really great feature that can't be beat. For movies YouTube and Video's it's awesome.

Having become the default standard on all high end Androids it also very nice for composing email, taking notes and any other touch intensive use. There' so much more room to work.

10. Los macrumors regular

Nah, I like iOS 5 as it is. It's fantastic and it doesn't need any jailbreaking. Though, it does kinda need SBSettings, god that thing is a life saver sometimes, hope Apple adds it to the Notification center somehow.

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I'm contemplating just for the fact that I would like to hide Newsstand, Contacts, Compass and if possible, Game Center.

I know that everyone says to just put them in a folder and place it on the last page, but for some reason Apple decided to make Newsstand act just like a folder (thus not allowing me to place it in another folder).

12. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Yes, because I need to steal spectrum from my wireless company and tether with my unlimited data.

13. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

Quick reply/compose with Bitesms.

Saves me so much time. I will always JB for it - I'll sacrifice iOS5 for it.

14. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Yes...for tethering. That's it. iOS5 is great.

15. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Be sure to post a thread about it :D

I'm sure many people would want to know and jailbreak before Apple patches a hole again.

16. shandyman Suspended

any app that has any notification shows in there. emails, missed calls, sms, imessage, facebook, google +, skype, twitter, whatsapp, DC Comics, game center, every app you have will show in the notification center and you can pick and choose so some don't or some that can use the old alert style.

whats wrong with just putting it on the last page with the folder of contacts, compass etc? if you don't go to the page, it doesn't matter if it's not in a folder.

17. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

Unless iOS5 has sbsettings like access, themes, quick reply for messages, the option to hide icons I don't want displayed, and the option to add as many apps to a folder that I want then yes I will be jail breaking.

In fact, I won't be buying it until there's a jailbreak released. Jail broken the iPhone is amazing, stock, the limitations annoy me.

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes, SSH, Free Tethering, and more fully enabled (API wise) apps.

19. eastercat, Sep 10, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011

eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I'm not sure if I'm even going to upgrade to ios 5. Until I can buy a factory unlocked phone, I need to make sure this phone stays unlocked. Unless the dev team can make sure the ios 5 ultrasnow doesn't conflict and create screwy antenna indicators, etc. then I'll stay with conflict free 4.2.1.

That's what I do with apps that I don't/hardly use. I'm not sure why people make things difficult.

What does this have to do with JBing ios 5? Please cheerlead for android in an android forum or something.

20. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Same here. I jailbreak for useful things, not pointless things.

I'm sure someone else will beat me to it. ;)

21. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

I want to control my music with Activator. But only if the jailbreak is untethered.

22. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I see what you did there.

23. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Jailbreaking is a must if I continue using the iPhone. Too many useful tweaks I've used the past couple of years to not have it jailbroken.

24. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

i jailbreak my device just for things that i really need.So i will jailbreak.But i will miss the OTA!

25. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Don't fret about OTA! If we can put a man on the moon[debatable, but thats for another day]I'm sure a Cydia developer can make a tweak that 'hides' all the jailbreak files from the search.