With Lion approaching...CPU Upgrade?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stewartfan123, Jul 18, 2011.

1. stewartfan123 macrumors newbie

I have an iMac with a 1.83 Core Duo and I just found out that it's possible to upgrade the CPU in these computers. Now, since Lion is coming, I think it would be nice to be able to upgrade from SL, and not have to find some heinous work-around for it. The CPU upgrade in question would be to a T5750. I believe it will work, but has anyone done an upgrade? I know everyone says it's really difficult, but my iMac doesn't have a screen (Bought it that way) so it's actually really easy to disassemble. The only hard part would be getting the LogicBoard off, and I'm comfortable with attempting that. I have found a T570 for $22 on eBay, so I just want to make sure this will work. Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Upgrading the CPU won't let you run Lion without the hack as the installer checks your model number.

3. stewartfan123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, but the main reason that Lion is unsupported is because CDs don't support 64-bit like C2Ds do, and upgrading would eliminate a lot of hassle in that respect

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Macs hold their value well (provided you don't mess 'em about) so it would probably make more financial sense (not to mention hassle and potential other issues) to sell your existing iMac and buy a new one.

5. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

The essence of an iMac is you don't upgrade it (apart from RAM). I don't have idea whether upgrading your iMac's CPU would work or not. Technically it's okay since iMac use regular socket CPU as you'd find in regular desktop. But Apple could just do something with firmware to restrict the replacement. You could've wasted too much money by the time you realized it, maybe even more than if you just sell it and upgrade to newer iMac.

If you don't sit well with the idea of "iMac being non upgradeable machine and you should sell the whole package if you want to upgrade", I think maybe you should stick to MacPro.

I know the consequences of going with iMac as all-in-one. I know the pain when newer CPU/GPU coming and I just can't upgrade my so-called desktop computer. Some people willing to risk their iMac by upgrading SSD, HDD or some light upgrade. But CPU and GPU is another story, it's considered a big surgery. And you wouldn't come to AASP with replaced CPU/GPU when your iMac has problem. It's like bringing a mob with gunshot-wound to hospital :D

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No, it wouldn't change anything. You can run Lion in Core Duo Macs by modifying the platform support plist. Upgrading the CPU to Core 2 Duo won't help as the hack is still needed because it checks the model number, not the CPU.

7. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

so you have the much desired headless iMac! yeah toss the 2.0Ghz c2d in the iMac for 22 bucks the machine will run quicker and worse comes to worse you can keep using sl and not use lion

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

How to upgrade the CPU on an iMac:

Step 1: Put the iMac on eBay. Sell it for as much as possible.
    Step 2: Choose a new iMac, possibly refurbished, with the CPU that you want.

That's risk free, it works, and you get brand new, much improved iMac with fresh warranty.

9. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

I don't think upgrading your processor is a BAD idea if you really, really want to keep that machine.

But I wouldn't get the 2.0ghz C2DM. It won't make Lion install without hacking it anyways and it's such a negligible processor upgrade it's not worth the $22.

If it were me, I would go for nothing less than the T7800, a 2.6ghz C2DM. If I'm right about your iMac (late-2006 model?) it should have a Intel 945 chipset in it and should have no problem supporting the 800mhz FSB of the T7800. It also has the same thermal rating as your current chip. They run about $100 on ebay.

If you don't decide to go for the highest-end you can get, then I wouldn't bother.

10. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

1) buy a new iMac if you can afford it.

2) if you can't afford it I've got a 2009 iMac with 2.66ghz and 8gbs ram that I'll sell you with just over a year of Apple Care and some extra software (pm me)

3) if you like tinkering with computers it might be fun to replace the cpu but I think down the line you will want a more current iMac.

11. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

12. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

As it evidently does not have a screen (per the OP), I would expect "as much as possible" won't be very much. ;)

So upgrading the CPU (to improve performance) and applying the hack (to get past the Model Number check) sounds the most prudent and cost-effective option for the OP.

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Actually, I think I remember reading on the forums that you can run Lion on a CD. You'll need the mods either way

14. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

slightly of subject but don't want to annoy people by making a new thread somewhere else..... any official date on lion being released? im waiting to buy my mac book pro then... thanks

15. stewartfan123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, thank you. I went this way because, being a sixteen year old (Albeit with a great job for my age), I really can't see spending $500+ on a computer right now when I have 2 other PCs that are powerful enough to run Photoshop CS5 with ease, and I enjoy the Mac experience, so I bought an iMac for a little more than $100 on eBay and hooked up my existing 20" monitor to it, and now I have the cheapest working Intel Mac money could buy! It's definitely an upgrade from my old 1GHz PBG4!

It's actually the early 2006 model, and I just don't see throwing THAT much money on a machine like this. The 2.0C2D for $22 is an improvement that I believe I will see in daily computing, but it's really not that much money.

there's no way that I'm willing to spend more than I did on my iMac ($140, not including AirPort card and 2GB RAM upgrade), to get a Mac when I have a PC laptop that I got for $500 last year with an illuminated keyboard and a slot-load drive that will smoke any Mac in my price range while still being more portable. Thanks for the advice though.

Ohh yeah, haha it's actually not too bad, minus the lack of value. Screens are outrageously expensive on these things though! But thanks, that's exactly my point of view.

16. stewartfan123 thread starter macrumors newbie

This month, according to Apple. Even then, it's only a $30 upgrade.

17. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

T7800 is socket P and meant for the 965 chipset. 2006 iMacs are socket M. Best CPU is T7600 2.33GHz. While upgrading to a T7200 is cheap, it's a lot of hassle for only a modest gain (probably about 25% overall). As mentioned, it still requires a hack and might break in an update.

18. stewartfan123 thread starter macrumors newbie

But it's really not that big of a hassle, as the screen is already missing, which means I really only have to take out the mobo and replace the CPU.

19. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Then by all means go ahead and try it. T7200 is the best value, IMO. T7400 and T7600 are too expensive for the gains.

20. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

thank you at least some else read what I read.

21. klover macrumors 6502a

Sorry to jack this partially jack this thread but I, too, am wondering about the Lion upgrade and older iMacs.

I just bought a mint 20", Core 2 Duo (2.16) at a garage sale for $100 and was wondering if it will support Lion. Is the issue 64-bit compatibility?

Is the C2D compatible?

22. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

In short, yes and yes! Sounds like a bargain!

23. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

Woah, so the Lion installer checks the model number of ALL machines meaning if I were to upgrade an older Mac Mini Core 1 Duo to a C2D to obtain the the 64bit instruction set, Lion still wouldn't install?? :eek:

Seems like Apple really, REALLY, wants to rule out older, still realistically useuable and upgradeable Macs :rolleyes:

I'd hope for this reason Apple has they're reasons besides just monetary gain :rolleyes:

24. klover, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2011

klover macrumors 6502a

At first, I didn't know if it was a good deal since I had no idea what they are worth (or, more importantly, if it worked as well as she said it did).

It came with a box of stuff that I opened when I got home and found a couple wireless keyboards, sealed copies of software, etc. I've already sold some of them locally and made a couple hundred bucks.

I really like the screen, great contrast!

[​IMG]

Sorry for the off-topic post.

25. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, that is the case. Lion works in Core Duo Macs with the minor hack though.