With no 2018 Macbook Pro, which 2017 model will you buy?

cman-uk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
208
20
Like many of you, I've been waiting since February to pick up a new Macbook Pro. Clearly playing the waiting game isn't working out, and there is no guarantee for September now either.

Am being forced to consider 2017 models, as I can't go without a machine for much longer.

Leaving RAM and SSD aside (16Gb RAM and 512Gb SSD for me), which model will you go for? The TB or non-TB?

TB has more ports, yes. Are there any other considerations? Such as cooling? Not sure what other factors I should be taking into account.

If you will now be buying, your thoughts are welcome!
 

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
4,067
1,652
Like many of you, I've been waiting since February to pick up a new Macbook Pro. Clearly playing the waiting game isn't working out, and there is no guarantee for September now either.

Am being forced to consider 2017 models, as I can't go without a machine for much longer.

Leaving RAM and SSD aside (16Gb RAM and 512Gb SSD for me), which model will you go for? The TB or non-TB?

TB has more ports, yes. Are there any other considerations? Such as cooling? Not sure what other factors I should be taking into account.

If you will now be buying, your thoughts are welcome!
If you need the function keys the non tb. Depending on your use case I find the tb useful . Touch ID is worth it imho
 

Pangalactic

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2016
452
1,040
Off to Surface Book 2 or Dell XPS, Apple is lagging so far behind everyone it's not even funny.

But if you really wanna go Apple, take 15''. 13'' with dual core in 2017 with intel graphics is an absolute disgrace to laptopkind. 15'' on the other hand is decent-ish.
 

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
755
1,351
Timmy Cook said at the start of the keynote "today is all about software", so i assume at some point over the next couple days we might get some update specs for hardware.
 

OSX15

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
100
32
Cyberspace
Timmy Cook said at the start of the keynote "today is all about software", so i assume at some point over the next couple days we might get some update specs for hardware.
It sounded more like a psychological trick to me. With those words he was managing expectations, So people watching the Keynote anticipating new hardware where primed.
 

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
4,084
243
North Central Florida
I’ve been putting my daughter off for 6 weeks (well, longer actually)... and it’s killing me to know something is coming. She watched the keynote and bam, said I could order now...

Ugh.
 

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
6,109
3,087
SF Bay Area
Like many of you, I've been waiting since February to pick up a new Macbook Pro. Clearly playing the waiting game isn't working out, and there is no guarantee for September now either.

Am being forced to consider 2017 models, as I can't go without a machine for much longer.

Leaving RAM and SSD aside (16Gb RAM and 512Gb SSD for me), which model will you go for? The TB or non-TB?

TB has more ports, yes. Are there any other considerations? Such as cooling? Not sure what other factors I should be taking into account.

If you will now be buying, your thoughts are welcome!
Doesn't the TB have 2 fans and a faster different series processor. I would lean toward that unit.
 

maflynn

Moderator
Staff member
May 3, 2009
67,051
34,133
Boston
I'm not buying any 2017 model. I'll maybe hold off on buying a laptop for a little while longer, but I'll probably get one later this summer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[doublepost=1528147708][/doublepost]
Timmy Cook said at the start of the keynote "today is all about software", so i assume at some point over the next couple days we might get some update specs for hardware.
If we do, it will be a silent update, and that's what concerns me with the keyboard. I'd like some confirmation that the keyboard was beefed up.
 
  • Like
Reactions: cman-uk

BananaX

macrumors regular
May 24, 2017
112
36
Apple might just updated all the specs couple days later without an announcement. That said, if you really want a MBP right now and can't wait anymore. Get the one with TB, extra ports are always good, and way better cooling system than nTB. I do not recommend 15 MBP, its slow and old. The keyboard failure rate is not as bad as many people mentioned in this forum. I did not have any problem with my keyboard, and you can always looking for an Apple refureb one, so you can sell your MBP later without much financial lost, if the new one is far better.
 
  • Like
Reactions: cman-uk

samuels1

Suspended
Jun 4, 2018
55
72
The touchbar is useless. Not a single developer wants to work with it.

Apple acts like it doesn't exist.

Do you have any data on the keyboard failure rate? Otherwise, you are just blowing out your backside.
 
  • Like
Reactions: greenmeanie

greenmeanie

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
1,177
330
AmigaWarez
I wouldn't buy one.

Like many of you, I've been waiting since February to pick up a new Macbook Pro. Clearly playing the waiting game isn't working out, and there is no guarantee for September now either.

Am being forced to consider 2017 models, as I can't go without a machine for much longer.

Leaving RAM and SSD aside (16Gb RAM and 512Gb SSD for me), which model will you go for? The TB or non-TB?

TB has more ports, yes. Are there any other considerations? Such as cooling? Not sure what other factors I should be taking into account.

If you will now be buying, your thoughts are welcome!
 

cman-uk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
208
20
Doesn't the TB have 2 fans and a faster different series processor. I would lean toward that unit.
Thanks for your input!

Especially as most replies, in this thread of "which one will you buy" are from those who won't be buying?!
I suppose all opinions are good, so no issue.

I will look into the dual fan set up. I also note a slight difference in graphics, although both Intel Iris 640/650 offerings are pretty low spec.
 

old mac

Suspended
May 16, 2011
140
191
"obsolete"?
lol

Not even remotely close my friend..
I have one (typing these words on it) - do all my work on it - still an absolutely great machine.
I'm typing this on an early 2011 running 10.8. Obviously it doesn't matter to some people, but most like to be up to date. Your 15' is on borrowed time.
 

turbineseaplane

macrumors 603
Mar 19, 2008
6,184
9,204
Especially as most replies, in this thread of "which one will you buy" are from those who won't be buying?!
I think what many of us are really saying to you is: don't buy one of these, now or ever.
[doublepost=1528148776][/doublepost]
Your 15' is on borrowed time.
Borrowed time? lol

Oh yes - every morning when I go to my 2015 MacBook Pro, I'm just constantly on edge wondering if this is the moment it might "die". It's just on "life support". The poor thing..
/s

[doublepost=1528149044][/doublepost]Honestly, I'd search out a screaming deal on a pre-owned 2015 Mac laptop before I'd go anywhere near the current lineup.

If you gave me a new in box sealed 2017 15" MacBook Pro I'd immediately sell it without even opening it. Want no part of the TouchBar and unreliable keyboard.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: tubeexperience

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
3,232
112
Timmy Cook said at the start of the keynote "today is all about software", so i assume at some point over the next couple days we might get some update specs for hardware.
Too optimistic. If they were close to being ready what possible reason would there be not to have included them keynote?
I don't think they'd be bumped out for Lego, Memojis and exercise bikes.
 
  • Like
Reactions: airbusking
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.