With no 2018 Macbook Pro, which 2017 model will you buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cman-uk, Jun 4, 2018.

1. cman-uk macrumors regular

Like many of you, I've been waiting since February to pick up a new Macbook Pro. Clearly playing the waiting game isn't working out, and there is no guarantee for September now either.

Am being forced to consider 2017 models, as I can't go without a machine for much longer.

Leaving RAM and SSD aside (16Gb RAM and 512Gb SSD for me), which model will you go for? The TB or non-TB?

TB has more ports, yes. Are there any other considerations? Such as cooling? Not sure what other factors I should be taking into account.

If you will now be buying, your thoughts are welcome!

2. dohspc macrumors 6502

dohspc

None of them... Best to wait for 2018 models unless you desperately need Mac now. We are at 364 days since the last release as of today and the average is 303 days. Wait it out especially with all the current models keyboard issues. You will thank me later....

3. Closingracer macrumors 68040

If you need the function keys the non tb. Depending on your use case I find the tb useful . Touch ID is worth it imho

4. Pangalactic macrumors 6502

Pangalactic

Off to Surface Book 2 or Dell XPS, Apple is lagging so far behind everyone it's not even funny.

But if you really wanna go Apple, take 15''. 13'' with dual core in 2017 with intel graphics is an absolute disgrace to laptopkind. 15'' on the other hand is decent-ish.

5. Krayzkat macrumors 6502a

Krayzkat

Timmy Cook said at the start of the keynote "today is all about software", so i assume at some point over the next couple days we might get some update specs for hardware.

6. OSX15 macrumors member

OSX15

It sounded more like a psychological trick to me. With those words he was managing expectations, So people watching the Keynote anticipating new hardware where primed.

7. TraceyS/FL macrumors 601

I’ve been putting my daughter off for 6 weeks (well, longer actually)... and it’s killing me to know something is coming. She watched the keynote and bam, said I could order now...

Ugh.

8. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

2015 MacBook Pro

I won't buy a 2016/2017 MacBook Pro.

It's a lemon.

9. jerryk macrumors 601

Doesn't the TB have 2 fans and a faster different series processor. I would lean toward that unit.

10. old mac Suspended

old mac

Really, it is half way to being obsolete.

11. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

...still better than one that doesn't work

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not buying any 2017 model. I'll maybe hold off on buying a laptop for a little while longer, but I'll probably get one later this summer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    --- Post Merged, Jun 4, 2018 ---
    If we do, it will be a silent update, and that's what concerns me with the keyboard. I'd like some confirmation that the keyboard was beefed up.

13. BananaX macrumors regular

BananaX

Apple might just updated all the specs couple days later without an announcement. That said, if you really want a MBP right now and can't wait anymore. Get the one with TB, extra ports are always good, and way better cooling system than nTB. I do not recommend 15 MBP, its slow and old. The keyboard failure rate is not as bad as many people mentioned in this forum. I did not have any problem with my keyboard, and you can always looking for an Apple refureb one, so you can sell your MBP later without much financial lost, if the new one is far better.

14. samuels1 Suspended

The touchbar is useless. Not a single developer wants to work with it.

Apple acts like it doesn't exist.

Do you have any data on the keyboard failure rate? Otherwise, you are just blowing out your backside.

15. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

"obsolete"?
    lol

Not even remotely close my friend..
    I have one (typing these words on it) - do all my work on it - still an absolutely great machine.

16. Closingracer macrumors 68040

My lemon works fine

17. greenmeanie macrumors 65816

greenmeanie

I wouldn't buy one.

18. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

Good for you.

19. cman-uk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your input!

Especially as most replies, in this thread of "which one will you buy" are from those who won't be buying?!
    I suppose all opinions are good, so no issue.

I will look into the dual fan set up. I also note a slight difference in graphics, although both Intel Iris 640/650 offerings are pretty low spec.

20. old mac Suspended

old mac

I'm typing this on an early 2011 running 10.8. Obviously it doesn't matter to some people, but most like to be up to date. Your 15' is on borrowed time.

21. TiggrToo macrumors demi-goddess

TiggrToo

Given to hyperbole much?

22. turbineseaplane, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018

turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

I think what many of us are really saying to you is: don't buy one of these, now or ever.
    Borrowed time? lol

Oh yes - every morning when I go to my 2015 MacBook Pro, I'm just constantly on edge wondering if this is the moment it might "die". It's just on "life support". The poor thing..
    /s

Honestly, I'd search out a screaming deal on a pre-owned 2015 Mac laptop before I'd go anywhere near the current lineup.

If you gave me a new in box sealed 2017 15" MacBook Pro I'd immediately sell it without even opening it. Want no part of the TouchBar and unreliable keyboard.

23. samuels1 Suspended

There is a difference between "want" and "have to."

24. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Too optimistic. If they were close to being ready what possible reason would there be not to have included them keynote?
    I don't think they'd be bumped out for Lego, Memojis and exercise bikes.