Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
I got my wife the 2015 13” Apple refurb a week ago, great laptop for all she needs. Was going to buy another for myself but sold out here now.
I had the 2016 when it came out sold it didn’t like the keyboard, so wouldn’t buy current new one.

Queen6

macrumors G4

Nothing, as Apple is hardly relevant outside of basic needs...

Q-6
[doublepost=1528274956][/doublepost]
Getting Apple Care + is smart regardless. If you need a dedicated GPU the 2015 isn't option so there isn't much of a choice if you want a Macbook Pro right now.

Getting 3 years national and 2 years international cover gratis as the provider is confident and stands by their product is smart - Asus. Needing to pay Apple even more to cover obvious design flaws is plain dumb...

Keep buying this garbage Apple will only continue to produce the same...:(

Q-6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
One day when keyboard issues are resolved and hopefully the TouchBar gone (I'm really against buying one of those, even if the keyboard gets better) - I could see myself having an eGPU setup for video work. I do want even more docking options though. So far really only the Mantiz Venus has peaked my interest, as it has USB ports, LAN, and crucially, internal SATA. I'd love to see even more concepts along those lines.
I don't mind the touchbar, but I think with 3 years of it being on a Mac, has shown us that at best its superfluious and unneccessary.

Well I guess you’ll never buy another MacBook again lol. Apple is going to go full steam ahead with the keyboards and touch bar ( you’ll piss even more people if you remove it now fully )
I believe apple will be making changes to the keyboard, though I don't think they'll leave the butterfly keyboard. Apple has too much hubris to admit that their homegrown design is flawed, so they'll keep tweaking it, and maybe in a few years it will be fine. btw, I don't believe they'll upset more people by its removal, there's a few that love it to be sure, but I hear more people not liking it then liking it.

CocoaNut

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2011
Switzerland
Like many here, TC's statement at the beginning of the keynote ("it's all about software") was a stab to the heart. I've been holding out for a new MBP and following the "key-gate" issues quite closely, but now my time is running out and I need to act.

What I believe is that Apple is actually taking the keyboard issues more seriously than we think, as they are certainly running the numbers on how much the warranty coverage is costing them. My money is on another event after the summer, September or October, where possibly iPhones and Macs will share the stage.

Just yesterday I went to my local Apple Store and spent over an hour trying all the different keyboards, and both the MacBook and MBP keyboards are noisy and horrible to type on IMHO. Don't have the budget currently to get a new Air, so I'm searching for a good 2015 13" MBP, which is enough for my needs and could hold out another couple of years if nothing happens on Apple's side soon.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I don't mind the touchbar, but I think with 3 years of it being on a Mac, has shown us that at best its superfluious and unneccessary.

I believe apple will be making changes to the keyboard, though I don't think they'll leave the butterfly keyboard. Apple has too much hubris to admit that their homegrown design is flawed, so they'll keep tweaking it, and maybe in a few years it will be fine. btw, I don't believe they'll upset more people by its removal, there's a few that love it to be sure, but I hear more people not liking it then liking it.

Oh I’m talking about the fact people will be angry that they bought a MacBook with the TB for them to end up removing it so shortly. Maybe long term but not now

Reactions: maflynn

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Nothing, as Apple is hardly relevant outside of basic needs...

Q-6
[doublepost=1528274956][/doublepost]

Getting 3 years national and 2 years international cover gratis as the provider is confident and stands by their product is smart - Asus. Needing to pay Apple even more to cover obvious design flaws is plain dumb...

Keep buying this garbage Apple will only continue to produce the same...:(

Q-6

True but considering it’s not an option getting Apple care plus is a smart thing flaws or no flaws

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Kind of a ridiculous situation, equally if one really needs a Mac then purchasing the new model with AppleCare is the only option. As stated if Apple is rewarded for bad behaviour it will only intensify and continue,..

Q-6

Reward what bad behavior? The keyboard is fine for most people ( 3 class action lawsuits and a few thousand people is not the majority) . Either way my point is even with a perfect keyboard and perfect laptop buying Apple care plus is a must.

Reactions: HenryDJP

Queen6

macrumors G4
Reward what bad behavior? The keyboard is fine for most people ( 3 class action lawsuits and a few thousand people is not the majority) . Either way my point is even with a perfect keyboard and perfect laptop buying Apple care plus is a must.

If you don't know Apple by now you never will, they have done the same over and over will multiple products. MBP alone has suffered dGPU's, displays delaminating, now keyboards. Your dollar, your choice...

Pity AppleCare+ isn't available globally

Q-6

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
If you don't know Apple by now you never will, they have done the same over and over will multiple products. MBP alone has suffered dGPU's, displays delaminating, now keyboards. Your dollar, your choice...

Pity AppleCare+ isn't available globally

Q-6

No my point is excluding issues and just based on a Financial point of view. You should buy Apple care plus on a MacBook to protect your investment the same way it’s smart to buy it on your iPhone X.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
No my point is excluding issues and just based on a Financial point of view. You should buy Apple care plus on a MacBook to protect your investment the same way it’s smart to buy it on your iPhone X.

If Apple products are so unreliable that you should buy AppleCare "to protect your investment", then you shouldn't be buying these products at all.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016

How do you know the keyboard is "fine for most people"?

Did you conduct a survey and randomly contacted at least 10,000 owners of the 2016/2017 MacBook Pro?

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
If Apple products are so unreliable that you should buy AppleCare "to protect your investment", then you shouldn't be buying these products at all.

You didn’t read it do you ? You should buy Apple care plus because it’s expensive flaws aside . Would you rather spend $$$ for fix the screen because let’s say your daughter, son, brother or whatever accidentally knocked it over or only pay the service fee of $100 or whatever it is for a broken screen replacement for a MacBook Pro ?

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Why is the 2017 15” rMBP so expensive vs 2017 13” entry rMBP? I was debating both models and the lowest I can find the 15” is $2000 new versus $1150 for the 13” new.

I know the 15” has better specs but they should have offered an entry 15” at a lower price point with lower specs.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
How do you know the keyboard is "fine for most people"?

Did you conduct a survey and randomly contacted at least 10,000 owners of the 2016/2017 MacBook Pro?

And how do we know it’s a wide blown issue ? The few hundred people on macrumors makes it a wide blown issue ? Lawsuits is one thing. Winning is another . Does a person accused of murder make him a murderer? No not until it’s proven in court that he did. That’s the whole problem with the me too movement. If the guy sexually assaulted the woman or women sure he’s a bad guy but now simply being accused is bad.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Why is the 2017 15” rMBP so expensive vs 2017 13” entry rMBP? I was debating both models and the lowest I can find the 15” is $2000 new versus $1150 for the 13” new.

I know the 15” has better specs but they should have offered an entry 15” at a lower price point with lower specs.

The 2015 15 MacBook Pro is their response. They can price it however they want and this is what they have decided to go with. Isn’t going to change.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
You didn’t read it do you ? You should buy Apple care plus because it’s expensive flaws aside . Would you rather spend $$$ for fix the screen because let’s say your daughter, son, brother or whatever accidentally knocked it over or only pay the service fee of $100 or whatever it is for a broken screen replacement for a MacBook Pro ?

A Mac is not an "investment".

An investment doesn't continuously decline in value.

So no, I would not buy AppleCare.
[doublepost=1528301001][/doublepost]
And how do we know it’s a wide blown issue ? The few hundred people on macrumors makes it a wide blown issue ? Lawsuits is one thing. Winning is another . Does a person accused of murder make him a murderer? No not until it’s proven in court that he did. That’s the whole problem with the me too movement. If the guy sexually assaulted the woman or women sure he’s a bad guy but now simply being accused is bad.

You are changing the subject.

You have no idea if "the keyboard is fine for most people" or not.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

So that’s you ? I would rather spend $350 on Apple care then spend $700 to fix a broken screen or whatever it costs without it . Same reason why somebody pays for it with their iPads and iPhones . I also wouldn’t call spending $1,500 plus on a laptop a spur of the moment thing

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
Don't want to hijack the thread but 10.14 will run on mid 2012 machines - 6y old HW, which means 15" from 2015 (I have mid 2014 with Nvidia) will be just fine for another few years in. Costs a bargin compared to 2016 machines even with discounts and in worst case will make great machine in Windows and eGPU (eGPU on T1/T2 on macOS is a PITA)

My guess is that all post 2012 hardware will get obsolete the moment Apple starts mixing ARM and Intel processors in computers....till then, we're still 'safe'

As Apple limited/deprecated eGPU support on OSX High Sierra and Mojave to Thunderbolt 3 capable hardware only - which the 2015 series unfortunately is not ...

... you are out of luck here already.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

[doublepost=1528301001][/doublepost]

You are changing the subject.

You have no idea if "the keyboard is fine for most people" or not.

I’m not changing any subject. All people do is complain on forums. Rarely do people not . So how do we equally know if the keyboard isssue is a widespread one ? You don’t know as much as the other way around so you all claiming it is an issue is just as dumb. You have no idea if the keyboard issue is an widespread issue either

Reactions: HenryDJP

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
So that’s you ? I would rather spend $350 on Apple care then spend $700 to fix a broken screen or whatever it costs without it . Same reason why somebody pays for it with their iPads and iPhones . I also wouldn’t call spending $1,500 plus on a laptop a spur of the moment thing

I am very careful with my Mac and it's very unlikely that I would need the display assembly replaced.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
The 2015 15 MacBook Pro is their response. They can price it however they want and this is what they have decided to go with. Isn’t going to change.
Yeah you are probably right. I love Mag Safe and the ports are nice but the 2017 MBP’s have a noticeably nicer screen IMO.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
I’m not changing any subject. All people do is complain on forums. Rarely do people not . So how do we equally know if the keyboard isssue is a widespread one ? You don’t know as much as the other way around so you all claiming it is an issue is just as dumb. You have no idea if the keyboard issue is an widespread issue either

I never said that.

What I said was that 3/5 of the 2017 MacBook Pro that we have, have the keyboard issue.

Now, that's not a large sample size, but internally, we considered that an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.