Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
Have had mine too short to get used to it yet.
Come from a SE that got water damaged. So red XR it was.
Love the feeling of the phone a lot though as it is on its own.
Have a case that feels bulky, but awaiting another wallet and hope the feeling of too big will disappear. Will update.

Keep it neither in jeans or in handbags. Manly assumptions :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: 0970373

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
I can’t really answer your question completely, but I do have an iPhone 8, and a XS. Even though they are close to the same size, the 8 feels more pocketable (feels better in my front jeans pocket). I have my phone in my pocket all the time when I’m at home. No landline phone. If your wife doesn’t care about the newer technology, I’d say go for the 8.

iClone

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2016
Las Vegas
It's really amusing/frustrating how many boys here still just want to assume a whole bunch of stuff on behalf of women. I know our numbers are few on the forum but we can answer for ourselves.

Fellas - just because you have a girlfriend or wife or sister does not mean you should go ahead and assume you can or should answer when a question is asked directed at women or things that women would like. Because chances are, at some point, a woman told you she liked a thing you got her to be polite but actually hated it. Along with other things she was polite about.

Really wish we had a dislike button. If a man told a women to keep her opinions to herself self he would probably be banned, if a woman does it she’s cheered on.

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
This whole thread is halarious. Women I know buy their own dam phones. I know men that use small phones, women that use big phones and prefer black. The generalizing is rediculous. Smh

It sounds to me like the OP is the financier. The way he formed his question makes it appear he's paying bills. So if it's on his dollar then he should have some say in the decision making. If it's on her dollar then she should be able to buy whatever she wants, with, or without his input.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Really wish we had a dislike button. If a man told a women to keep her opinions to herself self he would probably be banned, if a woman does it she’s cheered on.

The original post asked for the opinions of women. But men decided they’d speak on our behalf and making false assumptions. If the question was posed to all, it wouldn’t be a problem. But it wasn’t. And just about every post from a male with some kind of observation or opinion or assumption has been disputed by many of the women who have responded here.

MR is mostly male. I say in the 80-90% range. You’re saying women don’t get the opportunity to have our own voice in 1 thread and speak on our own behalf because some who clearly don’t know better got their feelings hurt and think they know women better than they know themselves?

Ok.
[doublepost=1545902603][/doublepost]
It sounds to me like the OP is the financier. The way he formed his question makes it appear he's paying bills. So if it's on his dollar then he should have some say in the decision making. If it's on her dollar then she should be able to buy whatever she wants, with, or without his input.

So basically, “You’re going to take this gift whether you like it or not! I don’t care if it’s inconvenient for you to use!”

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Wife as an employee, how parochial of you. I'm in a marriage that my wife makes twice what I do. Maybe I should ask her permission to buy something? I paid for 9 years of education for her, does that mean her money is mine? We only have "our money" you know like a couple. But that's just us.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
got my wife the Xr because she never puts her phone in a pocket -- it's almost always in a purse.

even my Xs (not max) is almost too big to sit down with it in my front pocket.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I’m a man and commented purely on my wife’s views as I’ve discussed phone options with her at length very recently. I thought it might be helpful and won’t make any apologies for being male and commenting on this thread. The OP was grateful so all is good.

Actually, I meant to tell you that your comment was really the only one that was thoughtful and that you were clearly relaying her personal experience rather than some weird generalization or guess. I appreciated it.

zduhac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2012
Wow, this thread got derailed quickly...

This whole thread is halarious. Women I know buy their own dam phones. I know men that use small phones, women that use big phones and prefer black. The generalizing is rediculous. Smh

Not sure why this would be hilarious, as I asked for an honest opinion for one particular scenario. The women I know are either using plus sized phones for over 4-5 years or are still using phones that are the size of an 6/7/8 or smaller. The last time I checked, XR is a brand new device with a brand new screen and body size that falls somewhere in between and not one person I know made the jump I was asking about. As for the part "women I know buy their own damn phones", I'm just not gonna comment. I'm quite certain my wife would still have a decent, up to spec phone if she hadn't met me.

This is quite a backstory. Unfortunately, not true. We both pay the bills together. If anything I believe she covers more of them than me. She can afford her own phone, or two. It's just that I'm the one that's more tech oriented in the house and usually spend more money on stuff like that than her.

The original post asked for the opinions of women. But men decided they’d speak on our behalf and making false assumptions. If the question was posed to all, it wouldn’t be a problem. But it wasn’t. And just about every post from a male with some kind of observation or opinion or assumption has been disputed by many of the women who have responded here.

MR is mostly male. I say in the 80-90% range. You’re saying women don’t get the opportunity to have our own voice in 1 thread and speak on our own behalf because some who clearly don’t know better got their feelings hurt and think they know women better than they know themselves?

Ok.
[doublepost=1545902603][/doublepost]

So basically, “You’re going to take this gift whether you like it or not! I don’t care if it’s inconvenient for you to use!”

I'm just not gonna go into why some men feel the need to force their opinion on a question that was addressed with "Women of MacRumors...." I was simply looking for some real-life examples of the jump. And as you said MR is mostly male orientated and I really do appreciate the input of those that were just sharing experience of those around them.

Bark

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2004
Earth
Too bad this thread went a bit sideways, I wanted to see more opinions. My wife and older daughter prefer smaller and phones and the ever expanding size of the iPhones is not appreciated. My wife still likes her 4s for size. (She also has something more up to date for her work phone) My daughter had this same decision 8 vs XR - she went with the 8.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My wife is tiny with tiny hands but she's always gotten the same phone as me - 6+, 6s+, 8+, and now Xs MAX. I asked her if she wanted an Xs but she said she prefers the larger screen. She uses her phone 3-4x as much as I do.

Reactions: kazmac

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
You probably wouldn’t find many women in Europe who would use one of those due to them not being a particularly fashionable item. I’ve seen them in the states along with holsters for phones but you’d get strange looks over here lol.
Oh god I remember in the 90’s when those things were all the rage. Now they just look ridiculous lol

chinchillas

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2015
I love the contrast between a cheesy fanny pack and an elegant and expensive iPhone.
✌️

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Oh god I remember in the 90’s when those things were all the rage. Now they just look ridiculous lol
We were going through an old photo album (from about the 90s time frame) the other day and found a pic of me with a fanny pack. My sons were so incensed...."Look Dad wore a fanny pack!" I'm not sure I will ever live it down lol

Reactions: Shanghaichica

jay968

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2019
California
To me, the Xr is a bit big but doable if I just keep it in my pants pocket. I prefer the size of the Xs because I can put it into a shirt pocket and have only a small portion of it stick out. On the other hand my wife prefers the bigger phones because she just puts them into her handbag. She is actually using a Note 9 which is a phone I would never consider purchasing myself as I think it is way too big.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
So that explains this woman. :p Seriously, I use fannysacks and purse-knapsacks because shoulder purses are uncomfortable for me.

Whatever phone works for you is fine by me. Xrs are not my thing for many reasons. Glad people enjoy them though.

jakja83

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2010
So that explains this woman. :p Seriously, I use fannysacks and purse-knapsacks because shoulder purses are uncomfortable for me.

Whatever phone works for you is fine by me. Xrs are not my thing for many reasons. Glad people enjoy them though.

Not female, but fairly tall man. Xr is great when you can put two hands on it. One-handed-usage dictates shifting it around in my hand or using reachability. When I sit down I always have to take it out of my pocket. Very annoying.

XSE please - a slightly smaller, thinner version of the XS with Xr-class specs.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
As a women myself, I bought an iPhone 8...but that was before the XR came out. I thought long and hard about upgrading to the XR however the size of the device held me back. It’s seriously a nice phone but I didn’t think I could deal with a phone that large on a daily basis and I am an inch taller than your wife.

I think what and how you use your phone plays a part in deciding which size to buy personally. I mainly use mine for calls, maps, an occasional texting, and a bit of FaceTime. I don’t use social media so I'm not on my phone very much. For the web I grab my iPad when needed. I just prefer my phone to be smaller because it’s easier to grab, and I can put it in my pocket if I choose to.

I’m still chuckling over the fanny pack...guilty as charged but only one year while we were on vacation (Disney) and only because my hubby and two sons always wanted me to hold/carry their stuff.

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
I’m still chuckling over the fanny pack...guilty as charged but only one year while we were on vacation (Disney) and only because my hubby and two sons always wanted me to hold/carry their stuff.

Argh no! Make them carry their own stuff, or hubby can carry the stuff if they're too young. Having to wear a fanny pack (or bum bag here in the UK) and then adding insult to injury by having other people's stuff in it. Nope.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.