Women: What size are you getting?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by greytmom, Mar 25, 2015.

1. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

There's a man thread, so I thought I'd start a woman thread.

My wrist is 170mm, and while I've been planning on 38mm since the watch was announced, I find myself wondering if the 42mm would look ok. Are any of you females getting the 42mm watch, and if so, what is your wrist size?

2. Esexx macrumors 6502

Esexx

My friend at work is planning on getting the 42mm Sport.

I'm unsure her wrist size and her weight for that matter. She is 5'6" and skinny. She said she never considered the 38mm.

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

There is a paper version of the watch you can print to see how it looks.

http://ios.wonderhowto.com/how-to/which-apple-watch-size-is-best-for-you-use-our-printable-cutouts-find-out-0160762/

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I have small wrists, but I would still like to get a 42 because the larger the screen, the easier it would be on my eyes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the 42 will fit my wrist and be comfortable to wear. If not, I guess I'll have to get the 38 but I will be very sad.

I don't care how it looks at all. For me, it's a gadget, not a fashion item.

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I took a print out of the 42mm and laid it on top of my Pebble watch. they are about the same size although the real estate on the Apple watch is more screen than bezel like it is on the Pebble.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Unfortunately, I've never seen a Pebble, so that info doesn't help.:(

7. priscilla55 macrumors regular

priscilla55

My wrist is 170 and I'm getting the 38mm. I did find the paper cutouts helpful, but they only confirmed what I suspected, that the 42mm is too big for me.

My concern about get one that is too large (apart from how it looks on my wrist, which I do care about) is that there would be protruding edges to catch on things.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yup, that would be the reason why I am concerned about getting the larger size -- if the edges protrude, then it wouldn't be comfortable or practical to wear.

9. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

I haven't measured my wrists but they are small, so I am going for the 38mm for sure.

10. spiritedcharm macrumors member

My wrist is 170 mm and I'm preordering the 42. I'm going into the store on the 10th to try them on to be sure though. If it looks too big, I'll cancel the 42.

One of the main reasons I'm leaning towards the 42 is so my husband and I can share sport bands! I'm getting the Milanese loop and he's getting the black sport, so I'll take his smaller sport band - like getting a spare for free :).

11. leenak macrumors 68020

I think my wrists are 150mm and I'm not interested in a big watch, I think 38mm is even a bit too big but I'll go with that

12. greytmom, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015

greytmom thread starter macrumors 68040

greytmom

Some are saying that you won't actually get two sports bands... you'll get two of the side with holes and one of the other side. Not sure if that's true.

I'm getting ready to print out the 42 again and see what I think... I've always liked big watches, so I think I might be happier with it. And I can always cancel, as you say!

Hmm...just tried both paper ones, and they are actually both fine. The only thing I can't determine is the thickness. May just go with 42mm and return if I don't like.

13. jbizzybeetle macrumors regular

42mm because Milanese band measures only up to 180mm for 38mm watch. My wrist measures 184mm.

14. spiritedcharm macrumors member

The bands section of their website says:

What's in the box?
    Two bands, one small-medium band, one medium-large and

Fitbit also comes with two bands.

15. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

My wrist is 150 mm. I'll be getting the 38 mm. I'd always planned on getting the 38 mm as I have small wrists but having measured it I know I need the smaller watch.

16. greytmom thread starter macrumors 68040

greytmom

Like I said, I don't know what's true, but there has been a lot of debate about it. See this thread.

17. KPOM macrumors G5

Is it more an issue of wrist size than sex as to whether the 38mm or 42mm is more appropriate? I have a 170mm wrist and will go with the 38mm.

The modern buckle is offered only in the 38mm, and the leather loop only in the 42mm, so that comes into play, as well. I like the 38mm space black link, but the only other matching band for that is the sport band. I'd like a leather option, but that requires the 42mm (the 38mm leather bands aren't available with matching black trim).

18. rhyme macrumors regular

rhyme

My wrist is 165mm and I am getting the 38mm because I think it looks more elegant, but from the cut-outs, the 42mm doesn't look too bad on me.

19. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I'm torn. I have a pretty small wrist, not sure of the mm. I love chunky watches so I was thinking 42mm but then I tried holding up the watch picture in the Apple app which is to scale and it looked maybe too big. I'm going to try the 38mm first.

20. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

My partner is looking at the 38mm SS model with either the Milanese loop or the modern buckle.

5'3" (ok, she will never read this... 5'2" :p ) 162mm wrist

The 38mm is definitely the best size for her arm.

21. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

My wrist are 184 mm and I'm planning on getting the 38mm. I wish the had the modern buckle large enough for my wrist. Also the Milanese loop for the 38mm model. I could see how 42 mm would be a little big for the smaller wrist. When I printed it out it made my wrist look like men's wrist. I'm going for the smaller one.

22. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I'm 5'4" (okay, 5'3 1/2"), my wrist is 157. I'm going 38mm, same bands in consideration.

I think the thickness vs size on the 42 mm will overwhelm my wrist and arms.

23. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Not even positive at this point whether or not I will actually be buying an Apple watch, but if I do, it would be the 38mm, as I'm pretty petite and have smallish wrists. Keep looking at the photos of the various bands and it's just so hard to make up my mind! Seeing the watches and the bands in person will really clarify things for me, I know.

24. Lynnie27 macrumors member

I have a small wrist and plan to get the 38mm. The main reason for this (apart from the 42mm possibly looking too big) is that I like the straps for the smaller watch. My favourite is the Modern buckle and that is only available for the 38mm version.

25. AJsAWiz, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015

AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

42 mm = H-U-G-E

Wow! Thanks! This is more helpful, for me, than the earlier paper versions. Also viewing the actual sizes on the Apple Store app was useful as well. I had been leaning towards the 38 mm. My wrist circumference is 152.4 mm. The 42 mm looks very large on both the Apple Store app and the print outs as well. It seems like it's larger than my largest watch (Baby G). That (42 mm) will most likely not work for me. I'd like the larger screen real estate but don't want to look like I'm wearing a clock on my wrist plus there is the comfort factor.