Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elinace

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2015
I saw this thread and noticed the reviews in the App Store don't really give it justice. I got no problem really with it. It puts my new gift to use, it’s my new health tracker now ⌚️
Merry Christmas!

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
I saw this thread and noticed the reviews in the App Store don't really give it justice. I got no problem really with it. It puts my new gift to use, it’s my new health tracker now ⌚️
Merry Christmas!
I've actually found the app very useful and the sensitivity has helped. I've also never had a sync problem and I wonder if it is the way I do it?

When I wake and tell the app the I am awake, I let it finish on the watch and don't even try and sync to the phone. Later, I open the app on my phone and then go into the app on the watch and sync again. It always sends to ththe phone. I can even change the sensitivity and on the watch a s sync again and see the difference with all three settings from my last nights sleep.

Looks like an update came out today to help with syncing.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I agree that auto sleep tracking is extremely handy, however, it's hardly anything new. Virtually all activity trackers on the market do this; in fact I'm pretty surprised the flex didn't. I'm guessing it was the last fitbit holdout, because it was their cheapie budget option.

Honestly, I think one of the bigger issues with auto sleep tracking on Apple Watch is that you still have to charge it daily anyway (which I usually do right before bed). If the apple watch could even get 3-4 days on avg then auto sleep tracking would be much more useful.

In fact (this is way off topic), but I'm realizing that vast majority of things that I use my apple watch for (activity tracking, run & workout tracking with HR, sleep tracking, basic notifications) are accomplished just as well, if not better, by other, cheaper options on the market that have battery life in the range of 4-7 days. I like my Apple Watch, but being realistic it's really not the best wearable for me. Part of the reason I got it was for future growth through OS updates and new apps/API's. I'm still hopeful that this will pan out, but I'm not as certain. I just bought the Garmin Forerunner 225 for my gf as a Christmas present for $220, no tax/shipping (half the price of my Apple Watch). It has activity tracking, automatic sleep tracking, built in GPS, enhanced run metrics/tracking, HR monitor, stand/movement reminders, and a battery life of ~7 days. Being honest with myself, that's probably more the device for me.... Things such as touch screen, force touch, 3rd party apps, glances, etc is all fancy, but most of that stuff I don't typically use.

Interested to hear your thoughts after a couple of weeks with the 225? I've been using the 225 as my daily running watch since early spring and other than the fairly regular firmware update glitches, it is a great running watch, a good step tracker, and a good sleep tracker. I was given an AW for Christmas so have been spending time learning how they compare. The AW certainly does a lot more non-fitness stuff than the Garmin - and does so well enough that I'll probably stick with the AW for regular use and keep the Garmin for running only. It's too bad there isn't a better way to integrate the data from the two.

Interested to hear your thoughts after a couple of weeks with the 225? I've been using the 225 as my daily running watch since early spring and other than the fairly regular firmware update glitches, it is a great running watch, a good step tracker, and a good sleep tracker. I was given an AW for Christmas so have been spending time learning how they compare. The AW certainly does a lot more non-fitness stuff than the Garmin - and does so well enough that I'll probably stick with the AW for regular use and keep the Garmin for running only. It's too bad there isn't a better way to integrate the data from the two.

Well I haven't gotten one for myself. I can't justify spending that amount of money on a device that duplicates the functionality of my $400 device. But I gave it to my girlfriend on Christmas and she seems to be liking it a lot. She didn't have any prior wearable so unfortunately her experience is limited only to the 225 (and only for the past 5 days). However, thus far my observations have been basically what I've been expecting. It does 90% of what I do with my Apple Watch (arguably does it much better). I wish I could give you a better comparison but honestly anything more would be speculation/expectations because I haven't really gotten to use it myself.

Kentsm

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2016
think it's pretty straight forward. It tells you the number of steps you took while "sleeping". i.e. bathroom during the night, sleepwalking, or generally flailing your arms around.
This is the same explanation I came up with, however, on nights when I did not get up at all, it still registered a significant number (96). I thought perhaps it could also be the number of changes in the sleep cycle. But, I couldn't match the number against the graphs. I'm going to settle with "flailing my iWatch around" since it's the only motion detector that could generate the numbers. One other possibility is the heart monitor which someone might be able to tell us is tracking changes in that cycle. Anyone else care to offer an explanation. Thanks, Mad Mac Maniac, for taking the time to reply!

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
This is the same explanation I came up with, however, on nights when I did not get up at all, it still registered a significant number (96). I thought perhaps it could also be the number of changes in the sleep cycle. But, I couldn't match the number against the graphs. I'm going to settle with "flailing my iWatch around" since it's the only motion detector that could generate the numbers. One other possibility is the heart monitor which someone might be able to tell us is tracking changes in that cycle. Anyone else care to offer an explanation. Thanks, Mad Mac Maniac, for taking the time to reply!

Definitely flailing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.