iPhone 11 Pro Worlds toughest glass scratches very easily

philipandrews

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Richmond, VA
Got the iPhone 11 Pro Max (i11PM) in yesterday. I had it in my pocket I guess when car keys and there are already noticeable scratches in the front glass. Some you can feel with your finger nail. Very disappointed at this point. Will post pictures when I get home.

Reactions: Coffee_Time

HerbertDerb

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2017
Most likely youtuber "JerryRigEverything" will confirm this, but 99% sure iPhone 11 glass is the same as everyone else's in the Mohs hardness scale. "Scratches at level 6 with deeper grooves at level 7."

Your metal keys won't scratch the glass on its own, dirt/sand in the keys will.

You can get a kitchen knife and it will do nothing to screen, go get a small piece of rock outside and it's a different story.

Reactions: jk1211 and nordique

johannnn

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
This is raw physics how screen manufacturing works. You either make it hard for the screen to crack, or you make it hard for the screen to scratch. You don't get both. Either you make it stiff or soft. One of them is good for avoiding cracks, one is good to avoiding scratches.

Riffz60

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2016
Toughness is designed to prevent shattering from drops. I’m assuming Apple is trying to prevent fully broken screens from accidental drops rather than people mistreating their phones.

Reactions: LLL1424

Nacho98

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2019
Pretty astonishing that anyone would let their £1200+ phone share a pocket with a bunch of car keys. Even if I knew it wouldn't scratch, I still wouldn't do it. Mechanical sympathy!
Makes you wonder what's more precious going in the other pockets, isolated from keys.

For me it's wallet right rear, phone (always alone) in left front, and keys and everything else jammed into right front.

Nothing else ever goes in the phone pocket, including receipts.

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
Polish it with acetone or naphtha... That should smooth things out.. It looks to be the coating that's scratched.

I put a screen cover on, out of the box. The 9H tempered glass cover, is hardly perceptible, has no performance difference and keeps those scratches from happening. I have been doing this since the 6 Plus... Can't afford to replace the screen so why take the chance.

Packers1958

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Toughness is designed to prevent shattering from drops. I’m assuming Apple is trying to prevent fully broken screens from accidental drops rather than people mistreating their phones.
Exactly. Applecare covers broken screens, not scratched screens. So make a screen that does not break as easily, but still scratches, and it's more profit with Applecare for Apple.

Reactions: profets

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
Makes you wonder what's more precious going in the other pockets, isolated from keys.

For me it's wallet right rear, phone (always alone) in left front, and keys and everything else jammed into right front.

Nothing else ever goes in the phone pocket, including receipts.
Exactly... Only difference, wallet left rear pocket.

TorontoSS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Basically as other people have already said, screens are tougher these days but they are less scratch resistant. It’s annoying. But they won’t shatter as much.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
A screen protector and case are pretty much mandatory for me. An empty pocket is the only place for an iphone...

Reactions: UrbanGeek

cmaier

macrumors G5
Jul 25, 2007
California
Seems like physics. Make the glass tougher to shatter makes it softer? For the last several years I’ve been on the wrong end of that trade off. It annoys me because I’ve never dropped a phone, so I don’t care if they make the screen so hard that it shatters more easily.

Reactions: UrbanGeek

iApplereviews

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2016
The Internet
Exactly. Applecare covers broken screens, not scratched screens. So make a screen that does not break as easily, but still scratches, and it's more profit with Applecare for Apple.
100% not true. Just because you don’t use AppleCare doesn’t mean it’s a waste or they make money on it. I just got a refund for $90.77 for my remaining year of unused AppleCare on my XS Max I traded in.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
After refusing to use a screen protector for the past few years, I’m back to using one. I’ve cracked a few screens but that’s not my main problem, the scratches are always frustrating. I can feel the glass screen protector because it’s a bit thicker, but I prefer that over a scratched up screen.
I mentioned this in another thread, you can either pick shatter resistance or scratch resistance. Sapphire glass would prevent 99% of scratches but would probably shatter after 1 drop, gorilla glass is a compromise and won’t scratch from most normal objects but sand and other hard small particles will still scratch it.

McPhallus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
Got the iPhone 11 Pro Max (i11PM) in yesterday. I had it in my pocket I guess when car keys and there are already noticeable scratches in the front glass. Some you can feel with your finger nail. Very disappointed at this point. Will post pictures when I get home.
For the last ten years or so, I’ve always carried my keys around in a key pouch to protect my phone and everything else from this type of damage. It just makes sense when you’re carrying pieces of metal with lots of grooves and sharp edges.