Worth waiting for the 7 plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by finy, Nov 6, 2015.

1. finy macrumors member

I'm new to Apple products (had an iPad for 6 months), but I heard it's always worth skipping a generation because they only add major updates every second model.

Should I buy a 6s, or should I wait until next September for the 7.

I'm basing this on the fact I'd like whatever I buy to still be good enough to last 2 years without the software becoming too slow.

Thank you

2. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

The 6S and 6S Plus have 2GB of RAM. They won't slow down within 2 years.

3. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

You didn't say what phone you are using now. That said, with 2GB of RAM the current 6S and 6S Plus aren't going to slow down anytime soon.

4. HEK, Nov 6, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2015

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

The 6s or 7 will be good for at least 2 to 3 years use. You are asking the perpetual question, buy now or wait till next release. At this point my opinion is you are so early in the 6s release you will get full benefit of getting 6s or 6s Plus now. If we were In June of 2016 I would probably wait for the 7. You could pick up the 6s now on Apple's 12 month program and get the 7 in November next year if you like the new release. That would give you chance to see how new 7 performs before deciding.

With that said, it really depends on what you are using now, how is your battery, is your current phone dated, slow, defective in some way. These are probably more important questions you need to answer for yourself. I think you will be happy with either choice. Your larger dilemma may be choosing between the regular and Plus size. So many have bounced back and forth on this issue.

I have been totally happy with the 6 Plus and my upgrade to the 6s Plus turned out to be a good one as the speed increase and 2 GB ram are phenomenal. Either way I think you will be happy trying out the iPhone. A lot of people have recently switched.

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The 6S and 6S+ have the biggest performance leaps in years. The iPhone 7 will be incremental, and mainly aesthetic.

6. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Waiting will pay off very well.

Every early and quite credible rumors I've read, whether it comes true or not, is indicating that the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus will be restyled and include very significant improvements.

Significant enough that this may the biggest upgrade that Apple has ever done with the iPhone.

My iPhone 6 Plus is ok, but after carefully evaluating the iPhone 6S Plus, there simply wasn't anything of value to me.

I will be buying an iPhone 7 which already has early release rumors swirling around it. :D

7. Sumter macrumors regular

Sumter

I'm also waiting for iPhone 7+. I have a 6 Plus which is working well for me, it should be able to last me for another year at least. No serious complaints so far. iOS 9.2 beta has been a blessing on it.

It depends on what device you are using and your current satisfaction with the device. Can you put up with the phone you have for another year? If not, you should get 6s/6s+ which will definitely last you longer than two years. If yes, then all you can do is wait.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

OP, I generally stick to the numbered models and skip the 'S' models. Generally speaking, the numbered models introduce physical changes (size, shape, color, arrangement of buttons, etc) while the 'S' models tend to refine the numbered models while introducing some new features.

I'm more into the physical redesign which is why I stick with numbered models. This year was an anomaly for us as we ended up with the 6s and 6s+. We will be upgrading to the 7 to get back on track next year.

I can't suggest to you one way or the other because each version brings it's own benefits.

9. finy thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the replies.

I use a $10 Nokia at the moment :)

But I'm thinking of swapping iPad mini 3 for the 6s plus.

10. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

They make major redesigns every next major iPhone, but the S versions usually include some new hardware, just in the same model as the previous version.

11. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

It will be like a new world for you then either way. Just be sure you get minimum 64 GB memory, not 16.

12. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The 6S+ has nothing of value over the 6+?

13. HEK, Nov 6, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2015

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

The 90% graphical speed increase, 70% CPU speed increase, more accurate and super fast finger print ID, and 2 GB ram have made substantial and noticeable improvements in my user experience. This is my experience and opinion going from the 6 Plus to the 6s Plus.

I fully expect the 7 series will make substantial improvements again. At the pace Apple has made to processor speed from 5 to 5s to 6 and now to 6s, I see substantial improvements and gains to each year's phone. Personally I feel that the differences between number series and s series lines is blurring except for the form factor. That we are now carrying a computer in our pocket is remarkable. A phone that can process 4K video movies faster than most desk and lap tops is way crazy.

14. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

That 2GB of RAM really makes my day for sure.

15. finy thread starter macrumors member

Does the 2gb of RAM stop Safari from reloading when you have more than 1 tab open?

16. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I bought two iPhone 6S Plus models this year.

One for my wife and daughter. In real world day to day use, their about the same as mine. We've traded phones just for fun because I'm very well aware of Apple's hype and the benchmarks. Yet having bought every model of iPhone to date and tons of Apple laptops, I know that they claims and benchmarks don't usually amount to being a deal maker or breaker.

17. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

It helps a lot, as well as stopping apps from refreshing every five minutes.

18. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

What do you use your phones for, checking train times and sending the odd SMS?
    The 6S+ absolutely slays the 6+ in real world day to day use, but it does of course depend on what you use it for. Web browsing is unquestionably much, much faster. It is also less crashy. Then there's the 2GB of RAM which keeps apps and browser tabs in memory for those of us who like to multitask.
    Also, the lag and freezing has vanished. It's a different phone.

19. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

What's an SMS....

20. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Text message.

21. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I can't believe you fell for that ...

You began with a weak attempt at an insult:
    "What do you use your phones for, checking train times and sending the odd SMS?"

Rather silly really, so I responded accordingly.

Find someone else to play games with.

22. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Says the person who just played games.:rolleyes:
    Surely you're the one playing games if you state that the 6S+ shows no improvements over a 6+ in real world use.

23. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Don't buy into this rumored mill poster. He is just reporting a useless rumor as of right now. Wait at least 8 more months for better rumors to come out, not 11 months early.

24. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

It seems you may not be following along as closely as I. My post is based on over eight sources, and many more articles over the last two weeks. Some from very well known, reliable sources. I read a vast amount, and have no reason to take the time to capture every single source I read. But I don't post frivolously, or to make it seem like I have expert knowledge, I do not. I only have what I read, and I simply choose to pass it on. It's a simple as that :D

25. Jessica08 macrumors regular

Jessica08

I usually keep my iPhone's for two plus years before I upgrade. It seems every time I'm ready to upgrade, it's in the S years so I'm going from a 5S to a 6S. The 6S is so much better than the 5S. I contemplated getting the 6, but only to save $100. I'm enjoying the 2GB of RAM, the longer battery life, and the 3D Touch, which I didn't think I would use often, on my new 6S. I'm really glad I decided to get the 6S over the 6.