Would You Buy a 16GB iPhone IF its announced at MacWorld?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spinstorm, Jan 13, 2008.

  1. spinstorm macrumors 68000

    Sep 14, 2007
    There is a chance that Apple MAY bring out an increased capacity iPhone 16GB for Macworld.

    Apparently an increase in memory will NOT need FCC approval (and maybe not CE approval in Europe) and so it is a distinct possibility.

    Given that we are definately going to see a new 3G iPhone in 2008 at some point how many of you here would be prepared to purchase another iPhone just for its increased capacity? (I want to clarify here - it is exactly the same as the current model except it has more memory - so not an "actual" update).

    If like me you are in the UK then we are talking about only getting the iPhone a few months ago and god knows how the French would feel having had it for even less...

    So would you buy one or not? and of course what would you do with the existing iPhone you have if you did?
  2. coolant113 macrumors 6502


    Jun 12, 2007
    New Jersey
    i would totally!!! thats alot more room for adding hacks and stuff to it:apple::apple:
  3. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

    Aug 20, 2003
    Long Beach, California
    I would. I bought my iPhone so that the return period would end on Wednesday just in case they did decide to upgrade the iPhone hardware-wise at all. To me, the last week and a half of use of my iPhone is worth the $40 premium I'd be paying to upgrade to the next version.
  4. JML42691 macrumors 68020


    Oct 24, 2007
    I do not own one, so I'm not sure how my opinion fits, but if I were an existing customer and they updated to 16 GB, then I would not update as my library is not even taking up the memory on my 8 GB touch, but if I were currently on a 4 GB iPhone, then I may update. All hypothetical of course. But with all the bitching from iPhone customers with the last change, they would probably keep the 8 GB @ $399, and release the 16 GB at $499. But I doubt that they will update it.
  5. TimJim macrumors 6502a

    May 15, 2007
    I'm holding out for the 3G hopefully with 16GB
  6. DAKnits macrumors newbie

    Jan 9, 2008
    I did almost the same thing -- I bought an iphone, but haven't opened the package yet. My return period ends a few days after Macworld, so if they release a 16gb phone, I'll exchange the 8gb iphone for the 16gb. Even if it's $100 more, I would still exchange it.
  7. sellitman macrumors regular


    Feb 25, 2007
    Nope. I have 60 CD's or so on my iPhone. That's plenty for my day. I switch out CDs whenever I am bored. No need for a larger drive unless I wanted to put movies on it.
  8. Surely Guest


    Oct 27, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes guy.

    As long as it isn't thicker, heavier, or more battery-hungry.

    If it is announced, it's just in time for my move to the U.S. :D
  9. JML42691 macrumors 68020


    Oct 24, 2007
    It shouldn't be any thicker if they do it, I believe that it uses similar chip sizes to the touch, except the 8 GB model has 4GB x2, while the 16 GB has 8GB x2, so just a matter of the memory size of the chip.
  10. cdd543 macrumors 6502


    Oct 13, 2006
  11. linsam macrumors 6502


    Jul 3, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    I have held out on buying the current iPhone in hopes of a 16GB version. If I already had one though, I would not buy another one for the extra 8GB. I would imagine that most people will sell their iPhones on eBay when the time comes. ;)
  12. aridon macrumors member

    Dec 10, 2007
    With 3g and a couple of other fixes yes. Just 16gb, no.
  13. Chrispy88 macrumors member

    Jan 12, 2008
    I own an iPhone, but I wouldn't upgrade to 16 GB. I have my entire music collection on my iPhone and still have 4 GB free, which I use mostly for a few TV Shows.

    The only reason why I think Apple would upgrade the iPhone to 16 GB would be to have some extra room for new applications (that are coming, I presume, this February). I know, I know - mobile applications probably won't take much space - but what if a few games are offered? Surely, a user with 20-30 big applications would want as large of a hard drive size as possible?
  14. gloss macrumors 601


    May 9, 2006
    I ditto.

    32GB would be the dog's bollocks, though.
  15. kuebby macrumors 68000


    Jan 18, 2007
    Whatever that is, I'm pretty sure I agree.
  16. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a


    Feb 10, 2006
    North Hollywood, CA
    honestly, I would try to find some way of tricking apple into giving it to me as a free upgrade (I got a little spoiled as they acidentally gave me my iphone for free and then sent me a $50 apple gift card)...

    but that would not work so I would try to sell it for a new one, I would love it if apple offered an upgrade program
  17. Puck. macrumors member


    Dec 5, 2007
    I've held off buying just for MacWorld, i'd gladly buy it even if it's exactly the same as the 8 gig with double the space. It'd make me quite happy.
  18. Nugget macrumors 65816


    Nov 24, 2002
    Houston Texas USA
    Just for more space? Not a chance. I want faster data, not more space. Heck, my 4GB phone isn't even full.

    Edit: the release of the iPhone SDK and third-party apps could completely change my mind overnight.
  19. David G. macrumors 65816

    Apr 10, 2007
    No, not when I have both a cell phone that works perfectly fine and an iPod touch.
  20. 4phun macrumors member

    Dec 24, 2007
    I would for several reasons.

    1 The 16 GB chip is 80% faster then the current memory.
    2 I am tightly constricted with 8 GB with just my video podcasts each day.
    3 There is no other phone that even has 16 GB so it would be unique for a while.
    4 To add that type of emmory right now is about $320 at retail in the form of flash memory card.
    5 I have a ton of applications that take up room in a jailbroken Apple. I don't expect them to make the trip to the 16 GB but hopefully they will exist in a free or cheap format as offical Apple downloads.
    6 I have documents I would like to refer to that will be feasible to store on a bigger capacity phone which will have a reader to access the files with.
  21. nickspohn macrumors 68040


    Jun 9, 2007
    it ain't happening.

    lets upgrade a phone with more memory, when iPhone 2 is right around the corner. this will be another feature of iPhone 2, along with all the upgraded things.
  22. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

    Jan 27, 2007
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

    not happening for macworld so don't get your hopes up.
  23. Twisted T macrumors member

    Apr 19, 2004
    I would love them to bring out a 16GB version at Macworld. I would take back my sealed iPhone, bought 7 days ago, and upgrade straight away!

    I'm not really concerned for 3G right now as there are WiFi hotspots almost everywhere these days. Unless I was spending most of my time in the middle of the countryside, I don't really feel the need for 3G. Edge will do just fine if I'm not able to access a WiFi signal.

    In addition, I would be more than happy if Apple introduced an external dock connecting GPS device rather than have it built in.

    I have a feeling that we won't see a 16GB iPhone tomorrow. That's OK because I will still have 8GB to play with, which is pretty big for a phone! Also, I am going to try and not get too caught up with chasing features and expecting the world from my iPhone. After all, it is just a phone.

    Twisted T
  24. skeen macrumors 6502

    Jul 12, 2007
    London, England

Share This Page