Would you consider a Iphone 6 a "Luxury" smart-phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BigBoyBmw760li, Dec 3, 2014.

1. BigBoyBmw760li macrumors member

BigBoyBmw760li

Especially the Iphone 6 series. It feels like a Bmw 6 series. Lmao. In my eyes, and from observation it seems las if the iPhone is the industry standard for not just a majority of celebrities, but for young adults and teens like myself. It's always a iPhone in movies, games etc. And I believe just good looking people general as well. When was the last party or bar you been to an seen a attractive lady with a Samsung or something similar? For me it's been a year and a half and that's probably because most females (and in groups) have iPhones. I think it's because it's just a premium piece of material in general. I had Galaxy s3 and a metro lg before my 6. I can honestly you get what you pay for lol. And it definitely proves it when it comes to resale time ahaha. What do guys think I am keen to hear what you think. Luxury is "forward thinking".

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I think a lot of your points are spot on, especially the device being the industray standard, but none of what you said defines anything as luxury, at least not in my book.

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

All smartphones are luxury items.
    (First World Problems...)

4. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

The Apple iPhone stigma is self-perpetuating. More hype than anything. But there is just something about it.

5. cymolia macrumors 6502a

I've seen a lot of ugly people with Iphones

6. Cash4Jesus macrumors newbie

Yeah but the ones I've seen have cracked screens.

Zing!

7. azhava macrumors regular

I don't view phones as status symbols. And if the iPhone was truly a "luxury" phone, I wouldn't see 12-year olds running around with them and two dozen minimum-wage hipsters sitting in every Starbucks with their faces buried in them. It's hard to consider something a "luxury" item (in the snobby, exclusionary "beautiful people" sense) when every Tom, Dick and Harry has one in their pocket.

A Ferrari is a "luxury" car - I don't see many of them around because not many people can afford them, let alone afford to insure or maintain them. That's a "luxury" item.

8. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Nope. iPhones are mass produced, and aimed towards the broader market. Not that it means all that much, but I generally don't see a lot of "luxury" items being sold at WalMart and Target.

If you want to look at a luxury phone, maybe the Vertu phones will reset your view of what that market actually looks like.

http://www.vertu.com/us/en/collections/signature-touch/craftsmanship/

9. azhava macrumors regular

Individually handmade by a single craftsman, with exclusive ringtones performed by the London Symphony Orchestra. Prices starting at $16,150, going up to $38,100. Cases ranging from $600 to $1,750. Now THAT'S a "luxury" phone that could make a snob feel righteous about curling his pinky while sipping his latte and sneering at the unwashed masses.

10. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Don't know about other folks, but I would totally take my 6 Plus over any of Vertu's phones, even if it was priced the same the as the 6 pLus.

11. Alonso Quijano macrumors 6502

They might be expensive, but there's a big downside:

"TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
    Operating system
    Android™ 4.4 (KitKat)"

12. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Vertu looks like an OG Motorola RAZR. Very 1930s German. If you're into that sort of thing.

13. sviato, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014

sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

A key difference is that the BMW 6 series is well designed while the iPhone 6 design looks awful.

14. azhava macrumors regular

Their Signature Touch model looks more like a Blackberry Storm circa 2007. Starts at a mere $10,800:
    http://www.vertu.com/us/en/collections/signature-touch/

15. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

16. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Just my opinion but a mass produced electronic device from a Chinese factory is hardly "luxurious."

Designs are sleek. Simple, modern, and high quality looking gives it that luxurious appeal but technically not luxurious.

17. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I don't see it as luxurious, but it is one of the few phones that I like the look of.

18. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Agreed! What if it was made in Sweden? Would it be considered luxurious?

Everyone has a smart phone these days and many of them cost just about the same, some a little more. So definitely not luxurious but I think that having an iPhone for some people is status. Not sure why I think but I do. If that makes sense.

19. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Nope, it's an iPhone. It dose some things better than other phones, but not all.

20. NukeIT macrumors regular

In its market, yes it's a luxury item. Is it comparable to a Bugatti, no but we are talking about phones here people.

It goes well above the basic needs of a phone.

21. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

Funny I think the exact opposite!

22. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

As has been said all flagship smartphones are luxury items. Its just that the iPhone 6 is arguably the nicest of the bunch and its popularity means celeb's and people at the top end of society quite often appear to own iPhone's. I am not immensely wealthy or famous in any way and I own one though. I think its appeal spreads across most wealth scales too. :)

23. bushido Suspended

bushido

Its funny to me when people place their iPhones on the table in public places so everyone can see they've got the latest. You don't see that with Android phones really. "Starbucks crowd" anyone?

24. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Everything is relative. If you can afford it, it is not a luxury, if you can't, it is.
    If you look at the price and compare it with others (functions as well), it can be considered a "luxury product".
    Many years ago it was a clamshell Motorola boom in the States (you can see it in all older movies), for some years it has been iPhone.

25. Ibaorus macrumors member

So where do expect them to put it ? In their pocket ? Bendgate, remember ?