Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Selfdestrukt

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2009
god this forum is... painful

first the yellow tint... i freak out and start thinking.. what day can i go in to exchange it...

now a couple days later it seems to be "cooling" off compared to another ipad that hasnt been used as much

then i see the dead pixel thread.. so i inspect my ipad.. i find 1 dead pixel close to center of screen .. of course you cant see it in normal use only if you go white screen and hold it 4 inches from your face to see it

and my wife is yelling at me for my OCD

OY

ObsidianBlade

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011

first the yellow tint... i freak out and start thinking.. what day can i go in to exchange it...

now a couple days later it seems to be "cooling" off compared to another ipad that hasnt been used as much

then i see the dead pixel thread.. so i inspect my ipad.. i find 1 dead pixel close to center of screen .. of course you cant see it in normal use only if you go white screen and hold it 4 inches from your face to see it

OY

#FirstWorldProblems

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
I bet that if we never looked and obsessed that it "could" be there in the first place, we wouldn't even know it was there.

I didn't know I had one on my iPhone 4 until I did the 4 color test thing I read about here on the forum. Then I was like Awww, a dead pixel! Wait... :confused: I've been two years staring at this thing day in and day out and never noticed it until now.

Don't get me wrong. I looked at mine for the light leak that everyone is talking about and I looked for any pixels that I could see just by eye. But I never tested the screen color by color, inch by inch.

Just saying.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
don't really see what the hassle is.

schedule an appt, go in at that time, and you will walk out with a new iPad in 15 minutes.

I would definitely call ahead and see if they have iPads in stock though.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
Exchange it. Be happy :)

Had a couple of dead pixels on my ipad 64gb LTE. Took it back and got it exchanged. The new one is perfect.

I know it's a hassle but if the dead pixels bother you, go and exchange or you'll be thinking about it forever. Instead of wasting time on the forum, go to the Apple store, get a new one and then enjoy your ipad by reading macrumors!

If you're afraid the replacement might have problems, open it in store and inspect it before taking it home.

Easy, peasy. Keep life simple.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Best advice given and is how I will view my one dead pixel to the side of my screen. over 3,000,000 of the pixels are perfect :)

So, you would also be fine with one of the transistors going dead in your A5 CPU? cause there are still millions of perfect transistors in it?

andross77

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
So, you would also be fine with one of the transistors going dead in your A5 CPU? cause there are still millions of perfect transistors in it?

yeah, if one transistor dying lowered my cpu power by 1/1,000,000,000 (i don't know the specific number of transistors in the A5X processor but some processors have well over a billion so....) then I would be perfectly fine.

It's hard to notice a 1 in 1,000,000,000 drop in processing power just like it's hard (for most) to notice 1 dead pixel in 3,100,000.

Now if the one dead pixel "infected" the rest and killed my entire screen, yes I would exchange it. Just like if ONE dead transistor killed my cpu....

RafMac

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2007
Ontario
So I went to Apple Store to buy AppleCare for my new iPad, apparently if you don't buy it at time of purchase, policy is now you have 30-days to buy AppleCare and they have to examine the condition of it prior, I told her I had 3 dead pixels and one dark one in the middle, which happened to be 2 pixels dead together. She went to the back and brought me a new iPad along with AppleCare warranty and said that your iPad should be perfect! And it was upon inspection of the new one she took out of the box. They were very nice and it made my day as it is my first iPad as I waited out 1 and 2. AppleCare cost me $99 and they had no new third-party cases, so looks like I will buy it at BestBuy as they have tons.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
I've got news for you: parts of your CPU do fall into the category of less than perfectly functional.

The manufacturing process requires extremely precise positioning and assembly. Even so, very slight alignment errors can result in minute changes to the connections and paths on the lithography, and some transistors are slightly weaker than others. This manifests as slightly different performance numbers in benchmarks from chip to chip, or in varying levels of tolerance for overclocking (or underclocking, as it may be).

It sometimes even results in intermittent miscalculations, which is why the processor logic is designed with some level of tolerance for that sort of thing, and why high-precision software takes extreme measures to verify calculations.

In extreme cases, portions of package that are outside tolerance limits but still functional are partially disabled and sold as a different, lower-performing product, common in GPUs (or AMD's triple core processors, which are really just broken quad cores, or the classic cache-defective Pentiums being sold as Celerons).

The takeaway here is that if you go looking for problems, you'll always find them.

EarlZ

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012

OY

Why the fuss when you dont see it in the first place?

Jspring86

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Tempe, AZ
I just wanted to update. I decided to try my luck in the return game and bought another iPad from my local Best Buy. I am happy to report it is absolutely perfect! No more dead pixel, no more chip in the aluminum! I am going to ship the first one I received from preordering back to Apple tomorrow.

Also, I was tempted when I went to Best Buy to get the 64 GB version, so now not only do I have a perfect screen, but I also have twice as much space.

Super stoked! :D

:apple:

EarlZ

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
I just wanted to update. I decided to try my luck in the return game and bought another iPad from my local Best Buy. I am happy to report it is absolutely perfect! No more dead pixel, no more chip in the aluminum! I am going to ship the first one I received from preordering back to Apple tomorrow.

Also, I was tempted when I went to Best Buy to get the 64 GB version, so now not only do I have a perfect screen, but I also have twice as much space.

Super stoked! :D

:apple:

Glad everything worked out for you!

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
I've got news for you: parts of your CPU do fall into the category of less than perfectly functional.

The manufacturing process requires extremely precise positioning and assembly. Even so, very slight alignment errors can result in minute changes to the connections and paths on the lithography, and some transistors are slightly weaker than others. This manifests as slightly different performance numbers in benchmarks from chip to chip, or in varying levels of tolerance for overclocking (or underclocking, as it may be).

It sometimes even results in intermittent miscalculations, which is why the processor logic is designed with some level of tolerance for that sort of thing, and why high-precision software takes extreme measures to verify calculations.

In extreme cases, portions of package that are outside tolerance limits but still functional are partially disabled and sold as a different, lower-performing product, common in GPUs (or AMD's triple core processors, which are really just broken quad cores, or the classic cache-defective Pentiums being sold as Celerons).

The takeaway here is that if you go looking for problems, you'll always find them.

Thats not news for me, doesn't change the fact if one of them drops dead in your ipad, something won't function 100% anymore.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
So I went to Apple Store to buy AppleCare for my new iPad, apparently if you don't buy it at time of purchase, policy is now you have 30-days to buy AppleCare and they have to examine the condition of it prior, I told her I had 3 dead pixels and one dark one in the middle, which happened to be 2 pixels dead together. She went to the back and brought me a new iPad along with AppleCare warranty and said that your iPad should be perfect! And it was upon inspection of the new one she took out of the box. They were very nice and it made my day as it is my first iPad as I waited out 1 and 2. AppleCare cost me $99 and they had no new third-party cases, so looks like I will buy it at BestBuy as they have tons.

So here is an advantage of buying AC+ at the store after delivery of the ipad.

BTW...to be correct, you can buy AC+ online without an inspection.

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
I've decided to hold onto my 1 dead pixel iPad.. because the screen otherwise is perfect.. No light bleed, no yellow blotches when doing th black screen test.. just 1 single dead pixel I can't even find when I go hunting for it.. I keep losing it.. If you're able to see your dead pixel from more than 12 inches away from your screen, it might be a cluster of dead pixels.. Mine literally disappears as I drag my face away from the screen.

My wife's iPad3 also has a great screen, but 1 dead pixel as well.

I found 1 dead pixel on 3 units at the Apple store (we opened them in a row trying to find a good one). I said wow and gave up and just grabbed the one with a decent non-yellowed screen.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I've decided to hold onto my 1 dead pixel iPad.. because the screen otherwise is perfect.. No light bleed, no yellow blotches when doing th black screen test.. just 1 single dead pixel I can't even find when I go hunting for it.. I keep losing it.. If you're able to see your dead pixel from more than 12 inches away from your screen, it might be a cluster of dead pixels.. Mine literally disappears as I drag my face away from the screen.

My wife's iPad3 also has a great screen, but 1 dead pixel as well.

I found 1 dead pixel on 3 units at the Apple store (we opened them in a row trying to find a good one). I said wow and gave up and just grabbed the one with a decent non-yellowed screen.

I finally saw one on mine today, but it was because I didn't have my contacts in. For some reason, my close up vision is way better with them out than with them in, and I was looking at something close up on the screen. It's not dead center of the screen, and I don't notice unless I try to find it. When I put my contacts in, I couldn't find it at all, and at normal viewing distance from my face, I can't tell it's there. (one minor perk of the retina display)

Apple's "official" policy is no exchanges unless there are 3 or more dead pixels for iPads and Macs. I'm not saying they won't still exchange it for you, but wouldn't you hate to go from one dead pixel to two dead pixels and have Apple tell you to buzz off because they already made an exception for you?

I've just decided it takes up too much time and energy to mess with stuff like this all the time. You end up going back and forth to the Apple store and being miserable instead of just enjoying your iPad. I'm choosing to enjoy my iPad. In fact, I can't wait to take it with me to Vegas tomorrow. Last time we vacationed was when iPad 1 had just come out. I was soooo jealous of everyone at the airport enjoying all their entertainment on their iPads while I was carrying my stupid laptop bag around.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
This is driving me nuts! On the Retina display, one dead pixel is so small and yet now that I've spotted it, I can't stop looking at it!

I think over time I will get used to it but I can't help but think about exchanging it for another one because I spent $600 on this 32GB model.

Would most of you guys not obsess over it or would you return it? Would Apple employees make a stink because they have to exchange a model due to 1 dead pixel? I am not one of those customers who feel entitled to everything. It is actually the opposite. If they tell me they can't make the exchange, I'll end up nodding and leaving the store. :(

I just swapped out my white iPad for a black one with no problem... If you're passing by the store then I don't see why you wouldn't get it swapped, it only takes 5 minutes. The Apple employees really don't care at all, the woman that helped me didn't even look to see that the iPad i was returning was in the box. lol Don't wait until your return period is up though.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I have one in the top right corner. But I am still undecided on whether I want to try and exchange. Everything else seems great, so I don't know if it is worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.