Would you like Touch ID to return on next year's iPhone XS under the display?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Nov 5, 2017.

?

?

1. YES

134 vote(s)
    40.4%
  2. No

198 vote(s)
    59.6%
  1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

Face ID is very good but I think touch ID also has it's advantages. I honestly think touch ID under the display would really make the next iPhone much more happier to use.
    Face ID is more convenient while downloading apps or logging into my bank app and others.
    While touch ID would be better when unlocking the phone since it's kinda annoying having to pull away the iPhone X while laying down in bed just so my face can fit in the view better. Also having it at an angle.
    It's great but I don't think it would be ready to replace touch ID yet and also another thing.
    IF Apple was able to use touch ID under the display they would of avoided the notch by placing the selfie cam and speakers in the ridge at the top of the iPhone by simply making the camera lens smaller but wider. But Face ID requires a lot of modules.

2. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

If I need to look at my phone to make sure my finger is in the correct position for Touch ID under the screen id rather just have Face ID.

3. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

It better not, especially after Apple execs publically admitted they did not do anything and do not plan to do anything after they realized how much better FaceID was.

4. santela macrumors regular

Of course, but only if there’s no trade off. Face ID is better in some ways and a compromise in others. Having both would be perfect.

But if I’m asked to choose only one, I’ll still go with Face ID. It has a lot of potential and can be utilized in more ways than just unlocking your phone.

5. FoxD macrumors 6502

No need for it anymore. Can’t believe I’m saying that either!

6. mobidutch macrumors member

"Better" is a relative term. And perhaps better for some, but not for all. I returned my X today because FaceID was too annoying for me. It recognizes my face just fine, that's not the issue. But I often check my phone at odd angles, like when it is laying on my desk, or sitting on my nightstand charger. FaceID refuses to see my face at these angles, so I first have to pick up the phone. Besides that I find that "swipe-up" motion from the bottom awkward with one hand, feels like the phone is about to drop out of my hand. It's a no-go for me. But to each his/her own!

7. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

So far I haven't found a situation that I wish I had Touch ID. I honestly couldn't care less if it came back next year I wouldn't use it anyway.

8. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

No. I cannot see any need for Touch ID anymore. Face ID works much better for me.

9. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Sigh.
    As if people haven't been watched enough.
    I cannot judge the live performance of face id but well...

10. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

It won't happen but to me i'd prefer touch id under the screen. No notch, no complete rearrangement of UI, another year to refine Face ID.

11. Lyesenia macrumors newbie

12. KONVICTED macrumors regular

KONVICTED

Apple may ditch Touch ID next year, bringing Face-ID on all models.

13. Renho macrumors 6502a

Renho

14. SnowDX macrumors 6502

Haven’t missed TouchID at all. And I loved TouchID.

15. Hoosier317 macrumors 6502a

Hoosier317

No. Touch ID is dead. It’s like moving from VHS to DVD. Apple will be focusing on Face ID going forward.

16. godofredog macrumors regular

that will never happen. They might find a way to hide the notch under the screen, but once Apple goes a step forward, they never go back. The headphone jack is a good example.

17. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I think TouchID is the past whether you like it or not. I think Apple is going to be doubling down big time next year on FaceID. Probably all new iPhones that come out next year will have FaceID only. It would be hard to invest time, people and effort on 2 separate authetication strategies/directions.

18. MDF314159265 macrumors member

MDF314159265

Touch ID was great, but Face ID is superior. I know someone with hyperhydrosis (abnormally sweaty hands) and Face ID is a dream for them.
    For me, Face ID just feels much more fluid. I was skeptical at first, but experiencing it removes all doubt.

19. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I don’t care if it does. I loved Touch ID, but I think Face ID is better for more circumstances. There are always going to be exceptions, but for me, Face ID>Touch ID, and I’m happy knowing this is the future.

20. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

Not only do I like Face ID better than Touch ID, I also like not having the Home button at all. The UIX seems a lot more fluid now with the gestures.

21. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

that's not entirely true.
    c.Federighi said in his daringFireball interview that faceID is definitely the path forward but that there are settings where combinations of biometric recognition could be used.

https://daringfireball.net/thetalkshow/2017/09/15/ep-200

22. bambooshots macrumors 65816

God I hope not.

It's going to feel like the dark ages again if I have to search for just the right spot to place my finger.

23. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

well, it's not so bad if you can feel for the button..

but touchID under the screen with a virtual button?.. that would definitely be worse than touchID on a physical button because you couldn't feel it.. you'd have to look for it and it will be a small target.

it would be okay if the whole display or a majority portion of the display would work as the reader.

24. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I’d like to see Face ID become faster. That’s my biggest concern. Right now it works pretty well, but It’s not as fast as touch ID

25. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

to me, it's a faster physical motion.
    just swipe up.

maybe a little slower for the phone to open though but again, it's less effort for me so i'm not really sure if one is faster than the other..
    faster at what?
    faster to use? i personally don't think so.
    ymmv