Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy the new iPhone 8 for $1,500 or more?

• Yes

Votes: 49 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 309 86.3%

• Total voters

noobinator

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
This is a spinoff the the thread where John Gruber about the next iPhone at a price point starting at $1500.

Let's say Apple starts the iPhone 8 at $1500, would you buy? I don't want to give a sample set of specs or anything, but let's just assume it's a new design, starts out at high storage (no 32 or 64 even), and has more bells and whistles than the iPhone 7s/7s Plus. I'm only putting 2 poll options, if you aren't sure if you'd buy it or not then just don't vote I guess. I just want to see what % of the population would buy it at this price or completely ignore it because of the price.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I originally voted 'no,' but it all depends on the payment options available through the Apple Upgrade program. I'm already paying $41.58/month, so...

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I can barely justify the price of a smartphone currently. I have the money, but there are just so many other important things.

My iPhone 7 does everything I need it to. (Actually, my iPhone 6 did as well, but I upgraded to the 7 and went from 16GB to 128GB for $50).

More bells and whistles wouldn’t justify doubling the price I pay for a phone—no matter how many different “bells” and “whistles” there are.

Just my .02.

Last edited:

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
I voted no....but I really stopped to think about it. I use my phone for pretty much everything, I use it more than any other device ever... music, social media, camera, internet, spreadsheets, buying and selling stocks, communicating with family and friends, watching movies and shows on my commute, reading books, the list goes on and on... I mean just about everything I do on a daily basis is on the iPhone. When you think about how important the device is and how much you can do with it, the current $969 that I paid seems like a bargain to be honest.... But as is human nature a number that high seems like too tough of a pill to swallow so there's that.

Reactions: biracialfamily91

noobinator

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Not a chance. My 256GB iPhone 7+ cost me about €900, and that was over the top to be honest, but I plan on keeping it for many years. There would be very very few people that would spend €1,500 for a phone.

So I guess then this is around the price point that would make this iPhone "exclusive" again or whatever. I don't give a rats behind about having an exclusive phone that no one else has but to some, they like that sorta thing.

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
I would answer yes 3 days ago. Now that I have got the new iPad Pro 10.5 I don't find myself relying on my phone as much. The device still packs a great deal of portability and has access to every app not available on my Mac. As such, I think I'm content with the latest iPhone, as long as it does not surpass the 1000€ barrier.

Reactions: Dopestar

Teddysjam

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2014
I voted no, I currently have the iPhone 6S plus tried the s8 plus from Samsung i paid 970.00 for that phone but came back to iPhone. My 6S meets all my needs I would like the iPhone 8 to stay around 1000.00 but I doubt it with that being said I hate to say it but I would go as high as 1200.00 once I see what the phone has to offer plus the storage space I choose but if I don't like what I see or hear during the September meeting they have to launch this I have no problem getting the 7S plus or for that matter an even cheaper 7 plus. Just have to wait and see.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I am betting the 8 will be under $1500. Maybe $1200 to $1300 which is only a few hundred bucks over what I paid for my 7+. The 7S+ would be at least the same price as the 7+ was last year so a few more hundred bucks and you have the 8.;)

I'm thinking it will only come in 256gb and be priced at $1169. A couple hundred more than the top of the line model now.

Reactions: MorganHiller

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Ever Since Gruber made the comment on what Apple should charge for an iPhone, its created A lot of speculation. I don't for see the iPhone 8 even coming close to $1500. Even an iPhone 7 Plus 256 GB is over $1000. I forsee this iPhone costing approximately $1100/$1200 with the maximum storage.

However, that's a lot of money to spend on an iPhone. I don't necessarily think it be worth it To me, because I upgrade annually. And an iPhone is a commodity, not an investment. But ultimately, a price tag of $1500 would not be justifiable for somebody like myself who upgrades annually.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.